credit crunch cider

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
afur130173

Re: credit crunch cider

Post by afur130173 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:22 am

this sounds like a cheap alternative to the polish syrups. always looking for cheap brews.

Chicken Dipper

Post by Chicken Dipper » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:54 am

It gives a disproportionate hangover, Im guessing because of the household sugar I used, but maybe something in the cordial, either way it's quite strong and easy to drink.

afur130173

Post by afur130173 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:16 pm

ive noticed the increase in hangovers with cheaper brews. i put it down to an age thing, maybe i am wrong.

Chicken Dipper

Post by Chicken Dipper » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:19 am

It's weird, because I use normal household sugar in winemaking but I don't get the massive hangover I got with this. This came to about 6.5% but beer I've made to the same abv hasn't caused the minging head, nor wine at a much higher abv, although I can't say I ever tried 5 pints of wine before!

lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by lord groan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:36 pm

My guess would be artificial sweeteners causing the hangover, were there any in your concentrate? Before I started brewing my own cider, thanks to everyone on JBK for that, I always got a hangover with any cider that had artificial sweeteners added, never had a hangover with the homebrewed stuff (lidl aj, a few fresh Bramleys and pot of tea) or any shop bought that was sweetener free. Would tie in with your wine not giving you a hangover either.
Or maybe it's something else entirely!
cheers
lg

afur130173

Post by afur130173 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:47 am

i think i will start my experimenting with these with a simple 5 litres of the lemon flavour.

i am gonna boil off the the sulphites just to be on the safe side. if it goes well then i think i will ramp up the volumes to a 23l batch. i think these would be great at around the 3-4% level for a nice summer drink, served over ice.

Chicken Dipper

Post by Chicken Dipper » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:40 am

I think you might be on to something, let us know how it turns out. I'm going to try the melina recipes on the other thread next

afur130173

Post by afur130173 » Fri May 10, 2013 7:51 pm

i have made 9 pints of credit crunch lemonade. didn't go mad with the sugar and as a result it is only 3.7% alcohol. not sampled yet but it looks to have gone crystal clear like real lemonade.

i may just sample one later and report back with the results.

afur130173

Post by afur130173 » Sat May 11, 2013 8:20 am

well the alcoholic lemonade was truly amazing. it retained all of its sweetness, which i don't mind one bit.

next time i am going to increase the volume and alcohol level.

second2none

Post by second2none » Sat May 11, 2013 11:48 am

Boiling is a must to get rid of preservatives in the squash,
I have done a lot of these different squashes
The thing you will find is if you boil them too hard the sugars will stick to the side
Of your pan and form a not very nice stringy gloop that floats around ur demijohn
To avoid this I boil the squash and reduce to a lower heat simmering the liquid for
15mins remembering to stir it occasionally!

Deactivates/kills the preservatives, with this method I no longer care about any addertives
And brew what ever squash tickles my fancy

I would highly recommend trying robinsons fruit and barly range
The barley give the brew a nice body and the sugar free ones come preloaded with artificial sweetner
so you don't have to mess around adding it

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewt ... 51263e2bfb

afur130173

Post by afur130173 » Sat May 11, 2013 2:28 pm

second2none wrote:Boiling is a must to get rid of preservatives in the squash,
I have done a lot of these different squashes
The thing you will find is if you boil them too hard the sugars will stick to the side
Of your pan and form a not very nice stringy gloop that floats around ur demijohn
To avoid this I boil the squash and reduce to a lower heat simmering the liquid for
15mins remembering to stir it occasionally!

Deactivates/kills the preservatives, with this method I no longer care about any addertives
And brew what ever squash tickles my fancy

I would highly recommend trying robinsons fruit and barly range
The barley give the brew a nice body and the sugar free ones come preloaded with artificial sweetner
so you don't have to mess around adding it

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewt ... 51263e2bfb
pretty much what i done with mine, brought to boil and simmered for 20 minutes.nfermentation started within a few hours, gonna go get more supplies and start making lots of these.

afur130173

Post by afur130173 » Fri May 24, 2013 6:56 pm

I just started a orange and mango version of this. Brewed it towards 5% for an everyday tipple.

If it tastes half as good as it smells then it will be amazing. I used only 600ml of the double concentrate for a 4.5l batch. The lemonade I made recently was a touch too sweet and that used 750ml.

My apple & black currant is looking good in the bottles and clearing well.

second2none

Post by second2none » Sat May 25, 2013 12:34 am

I think that's the first comment saying too sweet!

I have tried orange and mango hated it at first.... To bitter at first but left a little longer
All of a sudden it was magical, made me think primed with some orange juice with pulp would make it like an alco orangina

Have you tasted it yet? What did u think.. I think this has some potential!

afur130173

Post by afur130173 » Sat May 25, 2013 10:09 am

not tried the orange and mango yet as only started the brew yesterday. i only made it as i had picked up the wrong bottle in the shop.

i want to leave them as long as possible before drinking them but i know i wont be able to.

how long did you leave the orange & mango before it tasted better.

second2none

Post by second2none » Sat May 25, 2013 10:47 am

Tried it as soon as it was carbonated so a few days

Tried it and it tasted much better a week after that :)

Strangely I have seen this with robinsons lemon juice, that it's clears about a week after bottling
And the whole taste chnages dramatically for the better!