Autoclave/Pressure cooker

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Belter

Autoclave/Pressure cooker

Post by Belter » Fri May 17, 2013 8:18 pm

Inspired by Orlando's purchase a while back and my interest in having my own yeast bank I'm interested in buying a pressure cooker/autoclave. Obviously as cheaply as possible, but also as big as possible.

Orlando's can house a 2L conical beaker. Not sure if it's big enough to house a 30plate 125kw plate chiller? But it does have to come from America. Import charges etc.

Has anyone done enough research on this to find the solution? Autoclaves appear to be very expensive.

EDIT: This is the post with Orlando's pressure cooker: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=57463&p=605674&hili ... er#p605674

Goulders
Under the Table

Re: Autoclave/Pressure cooker

Post by Goulders » Fri May 17, 2013 8:41 pm

Look out on gumtree. You dont need to autoclave the 2l flasks. Boiling on the hob will sterilise very well. See the wolfy thread in Yeast part of be forum. Also there are some reasonable videos on youtube. I put a link somewhere if you search my posts

Belter

Post by Belter » Fri May 17, 2013 8:46 pm

I don't autoclave my 2L conical at present I use starsan but I'd like the option if size can permit. I'll check out gumtree but as I'm as far south as you can go they don't usually come up. I'll search your posts when I get a min

Cheers

Goulders
Under the Table

Post by Goulders » Fri May 17, 2013 9:16 pm

Don't use starsan. Boil the 2l flask on the hob. I got a pressure cooker for 10 quid (v lucky - a prestige one too). I haven't done slants yet but have sterilised my 1l flask and jam jars etc in it for strters. I will try and post the link on here when i get the chance later

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Fri May 17, 2013 9:38 pm

Tyndallisation maybe?

It's only beer remember :o No need to go overboard.

Goulders
Under the Table

Post by Goulders » Fri May 17, 2013 9:43 pm

Not for slants apparently - but anyway a topic on slants here

Belter

Post by Belter » Fri May 17, 2013 10:18 pm

Goulders wrote:Don't use starsan.
Why?

Piscator

Post by Piscator » Sat May 18, 2013 7:28 am

Don't forget larger items like a 2L conical (empty) can be sterilised using dry heat - 160C for 2 hrs will do the job.
Cap it off with foil beforehand and pop it in the oven.
Between the oven and a pressure cooker you should be able to sterilise more or less anything you will need to culture yeast.

Cheers
Steve

Belter

Post by Belter » Sat May 18, 2013 7:41 am

Piscator wrote:Don't forget larger items like a 2L conical (empty) can be sterilised using dry heat - 160C for 2 hrs will do the job.
Cap it off with foil beforehand and pop it in the oven.
Between the oven and a pressure cooker you should be able to sterilise more or less anything you will need to culture yeast.

Cheers
Steve

But again... Why?

I can use starsan much easier and cheaply. An autoclave will cost a lot less to run than an oven for 2hrs.

I'm happy using starsan for a 2L beaker at present but if I had an autoclave its be easier to whack it in there.

All thoughts aside I'm not only buying a pressure cooker/autoclave for a 2L beaker. The real question is... Is there a good sized autoclave/pressure cooker on the market that people use successfully.

It'd also be beneficial if my plate chiller fit in it.

Cheers

Belter

Goulders
Under the Table

Post by Goulders » Sat May 18, 2013 9:12 am

Belter you are missing the point on the 2l flask. If you boil your DME on the stove when you make it up it will sterilise it.
You don't need to autoclave that. Read the slant thread and watch the videos. It is all there

Belter

Post by Belter » Sat May 18, 2013 9:25 am

Yeah that's great. Ignore the 2L flask part. I'm after a large autoclave/pressure cooker

Goulders
Under the Table

Post by Goulders » Sat May 18, 2013 10:13 am

Where abouts are you? You may have to wait if you look on gumtree or pay up to 80 quid on ebay for a decent one.

Belter

Post by Belter » Sat May 18, 2013 10:32 am

Cornwall ----------------------------------------------------->

;)

Goulders
Under the Table

Post by Goulders » Sat May 18, 2013 10:50 am

On my phone so cant see that :lol: