Resealable plastic bottle caps?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
DC
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Resealable plastic bottle caps?

Post by DC » Sat May 18, 2013 1:38 pm

Hi all was just wondering where the cheapest place is to get resealable plastic bottle caps? I am looking for the type pictured below (1st 2 pics), I like to Pre sterilise my bottles and cap them with these plastic caps until ready to use, but I've run out after a bottle washing blitz.

Got these old style ones from a few years back which are the ones I am looking for

Seen these type on EBay for 50 at £4.99 + £2.20 p&p which I thought was a bit steep these type tend to split after a while though but I would use them at a push

Cheers DC
FV No 1: Nowt
FV No 2: Nowt
FV No 3: Nowt
FV No 4: Nowt
Pressure Barrel No 1: Nowt
Conditioning: Nowt
Drinking: Nowt
Planning:
Yeast Bank: SafAle S04, Youngs Cider Yeast.

kisslikeether
Steady Drinker

Re: Resealable plastic bottle caps?

Post by kisslikeether » Sat May 18, 2013 6:28 pm

I've been looking for the same thing without any luck. I ended up going for the ones in the last picture you've posted.

The same seller is doing them more cheaply on Amazon. £6 for 50 incl P&P and £10 for 100. Just picked up 100 (before I read what you said about them splitting easily #-o )

DC

Post by DC » Sat May 18, 2013 6:34 pm

Hi there, just to add to what I said about them splitting, they only split when I used them on bottles which require bigger bottle caps ! I struggled to get them on to Hob Goblin bottles as there larger than most regular 500ml bottles. So if your using standard bottles you should be fine, I went through a phase of drinking lots of Hob Goblin hence lots of reused Hob Goblin bottles.

Cheers
FV No 1: Nowt
FV No 2: Nowt
FV No 3: Nowt
FV No 4: Nowt
Pressure Barrel No 1: Nowt
Conditioning: Nowt
Drinking: Nowt
Planning:
Yeast Bank: SafAle S04, Youngs Cider Yeast.

lord groan

Post by lord groan » Sun May 19, 2013 9:24 pm

home brew shop has the ones with a dimple at £0.08p each
http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/cgi ... 90#a100690
= £8 per 100, any use?
lg

darthballs
Piss Artist

Post by darthballs » Mon May 20, 2013 4:44 pm

I got a bunch of these from BiggerJugs in Watford

Not bad 50 for £3.50, and the more you get the cheaper they are.

Just washed, rinsed and steralised and capped 84 bottles this afternoon for transfer to the garage to use for a future batch...

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Mon May 20, 2013 9:20 pm

I got the dimpled sort from BiggerJugs, too, once.
They're fine for capping clean empties, but I found they don't cap well enough to carbonate a brew

Cazamodo

Post by Cazamodo » Tue May 21, 2013 5:11 am

I got mine from biggerjugs too. they work out at 7p per cap whether than 8p from thbs or more on ebay.

Plus postage was around the 2.40 mark for 2 packs of 50, and I think stayed at that up to around 1kg?

Cant comment on splitting as I have only used them once so far.

But while im here ill also ask you advice. Do you use the bottle straight from uncapping the,?

I found I sprayed them all with starsan, capped and left them. But I didn't use them for around a week, and they all had moisture in as were capped wet. So I re-sprayed them all when bottling just incase... Is this overkill?

darthballs
Piss Artist

Post by darthballs » Tue May 21, 2013 7:04 pm

Cazamodo wrote:I got mine from biggerjugs too. they work out at 7p per cap whether than 8p from thbs or more on ebay.

Plus postage was around the 2.40 mark for 2 packs of 50, and I think stayed at that up to around 1kg?

Cant comment on splitting as I have only used them once so far.

But while im here ill also ask you advice. Do you use the bottle straight from uncapping the,?

I found I sprayed them all with starsan, capped and left them. But I didn't use them for around a week, and they all had moisture in as were capped wet. So I re-sprayed them all when bottling just incase... Is this overkill?
I have an (80 bottle) bottle tree and avinator thingy and simply starsan them and leave em to drain for a few minutes before bottling and capping. And just to confirm I only use the plastic caps for storage of clean sterile bottles and use proper caps for bottling.

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Tue May 21, 2013 11:24 pm

Cazamodo wrote: Do you use the bottle straight from uncapping them?
No, because I'm paranoid.
I'll have a gallon of VWP made up anyway for the siphon and other stuff, so it goes through the bottles before I use them.
But knowing they're clean makes it a bit quicker - no need for careful inspection.
And after filling the bottles with it, I empty them into a separate container, so I can see if anything comes out.