Autoclave/Pressure cooker

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Goulders
Under the Table

Re: Autoclave/Pressure cooker

Post by Goulders » Tue May 28, 2013 7:18 pm

There are often 2 types and it depends on the weight. The 11g weight is apparently for jams. Some cookers come with 2 weights, with the 15g for 15psi as well. Keep hunting as you may get lucky

Belter

Post by Belter » Tue May 28, 2013 8:32 pm

I saw one today. The prestige High Dome 6L. It went up to 15psi but was £60. I have since found it cheaper online. It's big but nowhere near as big as Orlandos.

Lars

Post by Lars » Tue May 28, 2013 9:51 pm

180 x 205mm internal dimensions of base however, when using you put a small amount if liquid in it and place internal basket in to raise stuff off the bottom

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Tue May 28, 2013 9:59 pm

Useful site for info on boiling point at different pressures
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/boili ... d_926.html

see also thread: Pressures

I got my pressure cooker on freecycle as bottom had warped and no good on owner's electic cooker.
Fine on my gas cooker though :)

Maybe look for old ones on freecyle (eg a wanted ad) as the older ones seemed to use 15psi more

Lars

Post by Lars » Tue May 28, 2013 10:33 pm

Belter wrote:I saw one today. The prestige High Dome 6L. It went up to 15psi but was £60. I have since found it cheaper online. It's big but nowhere near as big as Orlandos.
That's the one I've got(I think). It's not huge but plenty big for slanting, also great size for making chicken stock and cooking a ham

lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by lord groan » Tue May 28, 2013 10:48 pm

My Prestige Hi-dome got 2nd hand from car boot has a 3part weight, 5lb, 10lb and all three screwed together = 15lb, i.e. 15psi.
Worth looking for a cheap one of these, the rubber seals and safety valve are still available as spares too
hth
lg

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed May 29, 2013 7:02 am

Belter wrote:I saw one today. The prestige High Dome 6L. It went up to 15psi but was £60. I have since found it cheaper online. It's big but nowhere near as big as Orlandos.
How often I here that :roll:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed May 29, 2013 7:11 am

Have you seen this one on the US Ebay £40 with free shipping to the US and as it is coming from Vietnam they might charge nothing to the UK. Even if there is a charge it is still cheap. Size looks close to mine but there isn't any information on its pressure capacity, worth an email though.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Belter

Post by Belter » Wed May 29, 2013 9:25 am

Cheers I've messaged the seller

Belter

Post by Belter » Wed May 29, 2013 9:31 am

So basically if I can get a spare weight and the pressure is less than the safety valve operating pressure then I can essentially up the capability of my cooker. Which is second hand Carboot job, no idea how old....

With a list of dangerous variables like that it sounds like a challenge I should partake in

Goulders
Under the Table

Post by Goulders » Wed May 29, 2013 9:37 am

The same one is on amazon.com at $83. In the questions it says goes to 20PSI HERE

mooj
Hollow Legs

Post by mooj » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:38 pm

Have you seen this one on ebay?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Quality- ... 1e7981f160

No psi rating, but you could ask..
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

Belter

Post by Belter » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:21 am

Awesome. Thanks for the headsup I've messaged them.

Cheers

Belter

bigrichlock
Hollow Legs

Post by bigrichlock » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:15 am

One other thing to remember with pressure cookers is that steam is less dense than air, so what ever you want to sterilise needs to be heigh up in the pressure cooker, as air will be trapped in the bottom.

Sterilisation using steam under pressure only works if the item to be sterlised is imerrsed in steam. The auto clave I got off eBay has a tube that goes to bottom of the vessel which allows the air to be removed once up to temp.

My point being if your using the minimum temps and times quoted on various be sites in a cooker top pressure cooker then the items may not be sterilised properly, in reality will this cause problems not sure but one to be aware of?

Rich

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:23 am

bigrichlock wrote:One other thing to remember with pressure cookers is that steam is less dense than air, so what ever you want to sterilise needs to be heigh up in the pressure cooker, as air will be trapped in the bottom.

Sterilisation using steam under pressure only works if the item to be sterlised is imerrsed in steam. The auto clave I got off eBay has a tube that goes to bottom of the vessel which allows the air to be removed once up to temp.

My point being if your using the minimum temps and times quoted on various be sites in a cooker top pressure cooker then the items may not be sterilised properly, in reality will this cause problems not sure but one to be aware of?

Rich
Good point, but you could get around this by letting pressure cooker boil at atmospheric pressure (no weight) for afew mins first to fill it with steam and drive off air. You could then add weight and get up to temp/ pressure with pressure cooker full of steam.