Wilko's Golden Ale?

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Uncle Joshua

Wilko's Golden Ale?

Post by Uncle Joshua » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:08 pm

I'm thinking of getting a couple of beer kits this weekend, maybe Wilko's Golden Ale. How would you mod them?

suitsyousir

Re: Wilko's Golden Ale?

Post by suitsyousir » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:13 pm

I got that one sunday, and not stuck it on yet. I was thinking about tweaking it in some way too, but not sure what would work. Ill be keeping an eye on this :D

MartyMcFly

Post by MartyMcFly » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:20 pm

I'm interested too, got three of these kits waiting to get brewed.

I'm going to try the first one with no alterations, but have some Hallertau hops and some East Kent Goldings that I may try in the next batch.

Would a hop tea addition make it better, or is it quite hoppy as standard?

ArmChair
Under the Table

Post by ArmChair » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:02 pm

Your abit late on getting these mick, they are now full price! The offer has finished :(
FV1 AG#95 Farwell Freddy
FV2
FV3
FV4
Litres Brewed in :
2013 - 655
2014 - 719
2015 - 726
2016 - 74
Started BIAB 11/02/2013

TheAx

Post by TheAx » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:07 pm

I did this a few weeks back and it turned out superbly.

60g Crystal Malt placed in 5 litres of cold water, brought to the boil then removed.
Add one of the cans and boil for 30 minutes with 20g of Willamette and 20g of Columbus.
Add the other can and another 10g each of Willamette and Columbus and boil for a further 15 minutes.
Flame out and add another 10g each of Willamette and Columbus and steep for 30 minutes.

I used Safale S-04 yeast.

After fermentation had finished I transferred to a clean FV and dry hopped with 50g each of Willamette and Columbus for a week before kegging.

It was superb. Enough hops to blow your socks off!

I managed to get another of these kits the other day in the sale and plan to do the same again only with Centennial and Cascade and use US-05 yeast this time.

Uncle Joshua

Post by Uncle Joshua » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:17 pm

djseaton wrote:Your abit late on getting these mick, they are now full price! The offer has finished :(
Yeah. Trust it to end the night before I was going. :( I'd planned to get four kits this week.

MartyMcFly
Sober

Post by MartyMcFly » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:21 pm

Got one of these 2 can kits in the cupboard with a best before of 2015, noticed they no longer do these only the 1 can option.

Any recommendations as to spruce it up a bit? I suspect the cans will be fine, but the hoppiness may have worn off perhaps.

What type and how many hops would be a good idea?

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:03 pm

From memory that kit was quite plain. You could use British hops or go as others have done above and use US hops and maybe US05 yeast. Hard to go wrong really with that kit.

sandimas
Steady Drinker

Post by sandimas » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:08 pm

I tweaked one of these last summer and it came out nice.

In addition to the kit and spraymalt or enhancer, I steeped 150g of pale crystal malt (I used Caragold) for 30mins in 4 litres of hot water <70C for 30mins. After straining the grains out, I boiled 13g of Willamette and 13g of Styrian Goldings in the liquid nfor 15mins to add some more bitterness. I then turned off the heat, waited for 10 mins, and steeped another 13g of Willamette and 13g of Styrian Goldings for 30mins (use more if you want it hoppier). Strain it to remove the hops, and use the liquid to make up the kit - I did it to 20L rather than 23L for a bit more strength and flavour.