Ecofass Kegs

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.

Would you be interested in Ecofass Kegs

1. Nope I'm happy with my current cornies and or bottles
26%
2. Yes I am interested
53%
3. These look ace but I'm skint so won't bother
9%
4. I don't even know what day it is
9%
5. I want bigger kegs
3%

Total votes: 34

bobsbeer

Re: Ecofass Kegs

Post by bobsbeer » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:14 pm

Interesting how they are bolted together. Presumably gas tight with the join. Okay so you get 4 bags but 2 are different from the other 2. What's the difference for?

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:23 pm

I see on the poll that 8 people are interested. Could those that are interested pm me to let me know how many kegs you would be interested in and qty of bags? The pallet comes with 32 kegs and a box of bags has 150. Lets see if we have enough takers yet to get this off the ground. So far if equally divided equals 4 each. And 18 bags each with a few left over (18.75 to be precise but .75 of a bag is not much use to anyone without the .25). But let me know numbers.

This is how I think it could work. I will order the kegs and bags and pay for the whole order. Once they have arrived people can pay me via paypal and I can get shipped from my end to the end users. When we need more bags I can put in an order for bags and then ship out as required.

Thanks,

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:23 pm

Sent you a PM mate
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:21 am

Quicky couple of questions:-

Are you planning to import any 20ltr bags?

What are the sizes of the 20 & 30 litre kegs?

Cheers
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:38 am

Sizes were in the first post but I've copied them here.

There will be only one diameter for all the range of new kegs = 310 mm
Height 20 litre = 482 mm Weight: 4kgs
Height 30 litre = 642 mm Weight: 4.7kgs

For the bags I was going to get a box of 150 and distribute to members in smaller quantities as required. There does seem to be a split between those who want 20lt and those who want 30lt ones, but from my perspective I'm more interested in 20lt as that fits with my brew lengths. As I hadn't set out on this as a profit making venture it would not be worth my while to stock both sizes, if I only used one. Neither do I need or want 32 kegs of any size, so this only works if we can get a group together to split a pallet load. I don't know how much smaller quantities ordered via the distributor would be.

barneey

Post by barneey » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:56 am

opps forgot about the first post #-o

I think your right about trying to get standard size trouble is as with the traditional kegs the lesser sizes are at a price premium compared to the larger sizes.

ollyb

Post by ollyb » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:52 am

Given that the started kit comes with a few bits and bobs, do you think that you could get away with only having the bags and kegs, with none of the other bits. I'm certainly interested. Annoying dimensions though, something narrower and taller would fit in a chest freezer a lot better.

I was trying to weigh up the pros and cons of these vs the crusader kegs form the other thread. Obviously these have ongoing costs, but you don't need to worry about cleaning/spear removal, and you can get a "cheap" air compressor and just use air to deliver keg conditioned beer.

barneey

Post by barneey » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:28 am

My thoughts,

I`m waiting for the arrival of my new 20ltr crusader kegs so am not interested in buying more than one of these.

The biggest plus points for the ecofass kegs has to be very low (zero?) carb serving pressure which draws me to would it work well with a beer engine / cask system , the second is ease of cleaning but at a cost.

The biggest negative as far as I can see is the size being 310mm diameter when in use with peoples kegerators.

So for me I would order the sample kit direct to get every item needed, but would then only want to go in with a bulk buy for say 10 bags.

Cheers

ollyb

Post by ollyb » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:36 am

[quote="barneey"]
The biggest plus points for the ecofass kegs has to be very low (zero?) carb serving pressure which draws me to would it work well with a beer engine / cask system , the second is ease of cleaning but at a cost.
[/quote]

I could be wrong, but I get the impression it's not quite as simple as that (though no idea why). Found this vide, which talks about keykegs, which work in the same way. You may find interesting, or not!

http://hardknott.blogspot.ie/2012/08/ke ... pense.html

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:54 am

I think keykegs would work out more expensive than the ecofass ones

Befuddler
Even further under the Table

Post by Befuddler » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:16 pm

There is a slight issue with using these as a cask substitute... any yeast sediment is going to get mixed back into solution as the bag collapses. You'd have to rack bright beer and prime it, with just enough yeast left to do the job.

Do these have to be filled upside-down, like keykegs?
"There are no strong beers, only weak men"

ollyb

Post by ollyb » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:30 pm

[quote="Befuddler"]There is a slight issue with using these as a cask substitute... any yeast sediment is going to get mixed back into solution as the bag collapses. You'd have to rack bright beer and prime it, with just enough yeast left to do the job.

Do these have to be filled upside-down, like keykegs?[/quote]

Nope, they're filled right way up.

barneey

Post by barneey » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:44 pm

Befuddler wrote:There is a slight issue with using these as a cask substitute... any yeast sediment is going to get mixed back into solution as the bag collapses. You'd have to rack bright beer and prime it, with just enough yeast left to do the job.

Hadn`t thought about that #-o mmmmmm

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:18 pm

true enough, but i dont think thats much of an issue really, if you can crash cool your 90% of the way there, my bottles are almost entirely free of yeast these days. its more a case of knowing how long ot crash cool for and racking off when ready. might take a while to carbonate but as previously mentioned: Apparently force carbing isn't a problem. So just force carb then draw through as normal, provided you dont go mad with the carbonation (fizzy or lager like) it wont be too much of a problem. If you overshoot, then thats where the problems begin =/

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:16 pm

So far I have pledges for about 12 kegs, from 3 people so this is coming together. :thumb: