Ecofass Kegs

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.

Would you be interested in Ecofass Kegs

1. Nope I'm happy with my current cornies and or bottles
26%
2. Yes I am interested
53%
3. These look ace but I'm skint so won't bother
9%
4. I don't even know what day it is
9%
5. I want bigger kegs
3%

Total votes: 34

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Ecofass Kegs

Post by barneey » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:31 pm

ollyb wrote:
barneey wrote: The biggest plus points for the ecofass kegs has to be very low (zero?) carb serving pressure which draws me to would it work well with a beer engine / cask system , the second is ease of cleaning but at a cost.
I could be wrong, but I get the impression it's not quite as simple as that (though no idea why). Found this vide, which talks about keykegs, which work in the same way. You may find interesting, or not!

http://hardknott.blogspot.ie/2012/08/ke ... pense.html

Had a look at the vid, very interesting and has at least answered my question is it possible to remove excess co2 from the bag.

Cheers
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:43 am

Just received my test kit. Photos to follow but first impressions are that these are a brill set up. The test comes with two types of bag. 2 x one way sankey bags which have the valve integrated into the bag. And 2 bags for use with the reusable sankey valve. With this one you would have to clean the valve before use and the test kit comes with a cleaning socket. The bags for use with the reusable valve do look like you could reuse them if you wanted to rinse it out and re steralise. The test kit also come with the socket for tightening the collar on the barrel. The instructions state the collar should be tightened to 65mn or 48 lb ft. The empty keg is very light at 4kg. Very impressed and can't wait to fill it.

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:24 pm

The 20lt Ecofass standing next to a cornie:

Top of the keg. The red dot is the safety valve:

The bags with the tools and the reusable sankey valve and collar.

The reusable valve screwed onto a bag.

The reusable valve fitted to the washing collar

Belter

Post by Belter » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:23 pm

Is there a hidden microphone behind your oranges? I think you may have been bugged
Last edited by Belter on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:10 pm

:lol: No bugs in our house. That's my phone charger lead hanging down from a socket just out of shot. They don't call me Bond for nothing. :lol:

ollyb

Post by ollyb » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:35 pm

Do you know which bags were the ones which cost £3 odd? Was it the integrated or non-integrated? And do you have a price for whichever the other is?

Cheers

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:48 pm

I can't help but wonder why they have a one use sankey connector and a reusable one.... Maybe I'm being stupid, but if the bags are all one use anyway and you want the kegs back... then surely you'd want reusable connectors..?

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:36 pm

I guess it's all about ease of turnaround for some. Time is money to commercial enterprises. No idea what the one time bags cost.

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:59 pm

Oh right, so some of the bags are reusable and others are one way. For some reason I read that it was just the connectors though that makes sense.

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:40 am

Both types of bags are one use only (or are supposed to be). The difference is that one type has the valve incorporated into the bag, so you just slot it in and screw the collar down. The other type needs attaching to the reusable valve prior to inserting into the keg and screwing the collar down. Both have a temporary cap to keep out muck etc, which you take off when fitting. I would imagine the ones with the valve are more expensive as there is more to the unit and more complex in construction. I suppose the benefit is time. No need to waste time washing and steralising the valve before use. So less chance of error.

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:10 pm

I see, well from a commercial stand point the lack of needing to sterilise is a bloody good one, I wonder how many hours are wasted just washing casks

stuey

Post by stuey » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:22 pm

darkonnis wrote: I wonder how many hours are wasted just washing casks
To my experience per firkin each brew :

Approx 5-6 minutes total.

That's a steam/caustic clean with a hot pressure washer. Approx 3 mins.
Followed by a hot caustic wash for 60-90 seconds then a cold water rinse for another 60-90 seconds.

It adds up to a lot of time but means virtually zero returns.

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:27 am

I see we are up to 12 people interested including myself. I plan on leaving this running till the end of the month and then look at ordering a pallet of 20lt kegs and a box of 150 bags. In the meantime I will start taking reservations. Please pm me or add to the list. If oversubscribed the first to order will take priority.

I have one person who has pm'd me and the list is as follows:

Bobsbeer - 3
Pinto - 2
och29 - 4

Available = 23
Last edited by bobsbeer on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

och29
Piss Artist

Post by och29 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:43 am

I sent you one

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:32 am

Oopps. #-o Now added James. :D