Kegs arrived, 30l

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
alexlark
Under the Table

Re: Kegs arrived, 30l

Post by alexlark » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm

I'll have to try the other couplers tomorrow. Or the other spear. It just dont seem right to me. The little bit of tension on the gas line was causing the coupler to twist.

Is there a knack to putting them on? Or does it just seal every time?

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:53 pm

Sounds a bit strange to me, just make sure the coupler (on its own) is fully disengaged ie the bottom seals are as far up into the coupler as possible. Get keg push coupler firmly down onto keg, turn clockwise which will wind the coupler onto keg and until it hits the stop. Press down on the coupler when you want to engage the beer / gas ports. Will seal every time and will keep its seal.

Let us know how you get on.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:56 pm

Ok, thanks for the tips. I'll try again tomorrow. It was getting a bit warm in my shed and my head was going :evil:

I hope I can get it sorted

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:16 pm

Right, I've had another look at the spears and they are different. One has tapered 'tabs' and the other has square 'tabs'. The one with square tabs when I put the coupler on I have to crank it to the stops, its a really tight fit. The one that is tapered I can hit the stops on the coupler using my thumb and index finger, surely this is just too slack. Im going to swap the spears over towards the end of the week and test with co2. I'll report back.

Below are pics to show both types and also the coupler I am using:

Can you tell me what the 'tabs' are like on yours?

barneey

Post by barneey » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:18 pm

Your tab on the middle picture looks very odd as though there is a bit missing off one side?

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:05 am

I know, I'm glad you see what I mean. I dont know if its a manufacturing fault or by design. I'm convinced when I swap the spear over it will be leak free. [-o<

PS. That Star San is good stuff isn't it! :D I had to measure it out using a syringe. LOTS of foam :lol:

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:21 am

Are both lugs the same? Could be a duff casting.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:25 am

Im not in the house at the mo but Im sure the lugs are the same. I didn't know if it was for ease of putting on the coupler but the problem is it offers no resistance. Im sure Crusader will swap it for me if it turns out to be duff

Bob, what are the tabs like on yours?

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:41 am

Just had a look. 3 out of four have the square tabs. One is like your second one with slightly chamfered tabs, (both are the same). Just tried to fit a connector to the chamfered one and it seems to fit fine. I used an old connector and it needed a bit of force connecting although it is not fitted into the keg so that might explain the resistance. I also tried it on one of the others and it wasn't much different. I haven't tried it on a keg with pressure yet. I then did the same with my new connector (DSi) and it was slightly less resistance. I could easily twist it off with the lever down. So maybe it's the connectors rather than the spears. My other connector is a Micromatic.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:54 am

Ok. Sounds like the Micromatic connectors are a tighter fit. I have 3 DSi connectors and they are the same, loose on the chamfered tabs. At least I can swap the spear over for now

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:03 am

Is there a torque setting for the spears? The Ecofass one says 65 Mn. But that is plastic rather than SS.

barneey

Post by barneey » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:10 am

Interesting question never asked myself, normally do them up quite tight with socket and and small socket arm.

BTW with any luck your socket will be with you today.

On a further note if the rubber seal ring ever needs replacing on the spear I did find that one of the red orings (same supplier as the corny orings) fit quite nicely, not that I need any but was just experimenting.

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:37 am

Just arrived this morning. Very timely. Many thanks.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:25 am

Quick update, I just swapped the spears over and I'm as happy as a pig in sh!t :mrgreen:

No leaks what so ever. I only just noticed that I've got 2 EWL couplers and 1 DSi. The EWL coupler was easier for me to put on the spear with the square tabs, that would mean it would be even easier on the tapered spear and thus looser. All couplers are fine on the 'square tab' type spear.

My first gas setup and I'm very pleased with myself. I'm glad I went down the pub keg route, a Corny would have been a right pain in the @rse with all the different o rings to keep in check #-o

My £25 SWP Reg is excellent too. No problems there.

And finally, a few pics as I know you like em:

Clive, no comments on the party tap! lol :lol:

barneey

Post by barneey » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:47 pm

alexlark wrote:
Clive, no comments on the party tap! lol :lol:
What tap, all I can see is an old black piece of plastic in a jug, hardly a party :!:

Get yourself some decent taps, like the ones in the 4 sale section :whistle: