Corny regulator

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Bert

Corny regulator

Post by Bert » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:07 pm

Hi Guys,

Can anyone help me find a suitable regulator for my corny setup? Basically I intend to build a kegerator with 2 cornys with gas bottle and reg inside. Do i need mixed or just co2? Not sure what the difference is?

If possible I would like a setup where I can turn the gas off to both cornys - because I only have one at the moment!

Cheers

Matt12398

Re: Corny regulator

Post by Matt12398 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:18 pm

You only need mixed gas if you want a Guinness style head on your beer which you probably won't want.

Some people buy the welding regulators from ebay but I bought mine off Norm. Mine has three separate gas outputs so I can control each corny seperately. I fitted mine to the inside of the door.

Bert

Post by Bert » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:54 pm

Thanks Matt, now I know i need a co2 one! I like the ones that you bought but I am not sure if I would be comfortable fitting inside the fridge ( havent done much DIY before brewing!) and I wouldn't mind spending a bit less because I have spent a fair bit on this already!

If I got one of these: http://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/john-gues ... t-3-8.html I guess I could attach two kegs to one reg. Is there some sort of inline switch I can get so I can turn them off independently?

Thanks

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:05 pm

I've seen regulators fitted with shut off valves so I'm fairly sure they are available.

The welding regulators are fairly cheap, around £30 I think, but I was put off by the fact that for most of them the gauge needs changing from one that displays flow rate to one that gives PSI.

I think I paid somewhere around £75 for the one proper pub gas one I bought and it feels like a quality item and for each corny I can adjust the pressure separately.

In terms of fitting it inside, I was going to fix a piece of wood to the back of the door and mount it on that but it held well with just a screw fixing to the door material so I left it at that. It was very low level DIY.

If you want something on the cheap though I'm sure some other people will share their advice.

Bert

Post by Bert » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:59 pm

Matt12398 wrote:I've seen regulators fitted with shut off valves so I'm fairly sure they are available.

The welding regulators are fairly cheap, around £30 I think, but I was put off by the fact that for most of them the gauge needs changing from one that displays flow rate to one that gives PSI.

I think I paid somewhere around £75 for the one proper pub gas one I bought and it feels like a quality item and for each corny I can adjust the pressure separately.

In terms of fitting it inside, I was going to fix a piece of wood to the back of the door and mount it on that but it held well with just a screw fixing to the door material so I left it at that. It was very low level DIY.

If you want something on the cheap though I'm sure some other people will share their advice.
Thanks for the advice mate, think I will have a go at fitting it inside the fridge, cheers

och29
Piss Artist

Post by och29 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:53 pm

I also got a set of regs from Norm... can't recommend him enough. http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/normannumpa
Drinking: AG#7 Final Sprint (APA), AG#8 Buckwheat Brett (Saison - Saison/Brett), AG#9 Helles Meister
Conditioning: -
Fermenting: Selection Pinot Grigio
Planning: Orange Blossom Mead, Mexican Honey Mead, Chocolate Stout

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:46 am

This is the one I got: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CO2-Single-St ... 500wt_1065

Gauge is in BAR and PSI. Goes up in 4 PSI increments.

My setup here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58785&start=195#p641222

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:51 pm

I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:09 pm

That's exact one I have and it's great. It cost me substantially less than that though last year but it helped that I was also buying one for my brother at the time.

If you deal with Norm direct rather than through ebay you might be able to strike a deal.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:20 pm

Matt12398 wrote:That's exact one I have and it's great. It cost me substantially less than that though last year but it helped that I was also buying one for my brother at the time.

If you deal with Norm direct rather than through ebay you might be able to strike a deal.
Not surprised, everything corny related has gone through the roof this year, but this one I bought earlier in the year was cheaper than the one he has on Ebay and it came from Norm.

I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

JammyBStard

Post by JammyBStard » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:25 pm

I'm going the exact same thing as the OP at the moment and to keep it cheap I've ordered one of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-CO2 ... 4175005294
And I'm going to T off the gas line. It's not elegant and it means both brews will have to be at the same carbonation level but Its all done for thirty quid.