Ecofass Kegs

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.

Would you be interested in Ecofass Kegs

1. Nope I'm happy with my current cornies and or bottles
26%
2. Yes I am interested
53%
3. These look ace but I'm skint so won't bother
9%
4. I don't even know what day it is
9%
5. I want bigger kegs
3%

Total votes: 34

och29
Piss Artist

Re: Ecofass Kegs

Post by och29 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:56 pm

Hogarth wrote:Beer bottle caps are made of metal and are impermeable to oxygen. Even if they weren't, their surface area is tiny compared to the surface of a plastic bag. I think I'll take your 'bottom line' with a pinch of salt.
Actually I was thinking about the seal between bottle and the cap.
Drinking: AG#7 Final Sprint (APA), AG#8 Buckwheat Brett (Saison - Saison/Brett), AG#9 Helles Meister
Conditioning: -
Fermenting: Selection Pinot Grigio
Planning: Orange Blossom Mead, Mexican Honey Mead, Chocolate Stout

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:48 pm

Update as of 5/8

Total requested:
Bobsbeer - 3
Pinto - 2
och29 - 4
Buster - 2
Oilyb - 1
Ceejay - 2
Poggytyke - 2

Available 16

Come on guys get your names down then we can get this off the ground. So far we have half a pallet spoken for so we are getting there.

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:11 pm

Update as of 5/8

Total requested:
Bobsbeer - 3
Pinto - 2
och29 - 4
Buster - 2
Oilyb - 1
Ceejay - 2
Poggytyke - 2
Moonlighter- 3

Available 13

We are now over 50% ordered. So if you are interested please let me know ASAP so we can get this up and running.

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:24 pm

Just bumping this thread to see if there is anymore interest. I guess if not the idea can be scrapped, which is a shame as the kegs are really good.

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:40 pm

It would be a shame if you cant make it happen, although everything on the keg front has gone quiet recently?
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:45 pm

Hi Guys

Has this thread ended? Would really like to know with regard to Beer Engines.

I dispense through KK but now have a couple of Beer Engines and looking at ways to use them.

Was thinking of Polypins but Ecofass look more adaptable if they work.

G

stevetk189
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by stevetk189 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:05 pm

Hi guys, uber long time since I posted here but I've been using Ecofass new generations kegs since the middle of last year and i am pretty chuffed with them.

They're light, simple to use, the replacement bags are cheap - opt for the built in valve type rather than the re-usable as the minor price difference isn't worth the farting about cleaning out the valve.

I'm still getting around to trying one with a beer engine but I've been force carbing and refermenting in the keg with so-far, success.

Oops, almost forgot. Happy new year to you all.

As these kegs have no spear any sediment stays well away from the dispense end of things ie the bottom of the bag so as long as you don't go shaking the keg around 10 minutes before service, you get nice bottled conditioned in a keg, clear beer.

To force carbonate I do the following.

Fit the bag.

My filling head has a valve on the beer in (the beer out when used to serve) and a valve on the co2 in so, with the beer out/in valve closed i pressurise the keg to 1 bar.

Slowly open the beer out/in valve and the pressure squeezes the empty bag to force any air out. Once you hear the crinkling plastic sounds stop close both valves and uncouple the keg keeping it at 1 bar pressure.

Connect the filling head to the beer tank and let the beer flow to fill the line and head. yep you'll spill a bit but it's better than the line full of air going into the bag you just carefully purged.

Connect the beer line to the filling head "beer in" and disconnect the co2 line then fit the head to the keg, keeping both valves closed. Give everything with spilled beer on it a rinse off and star san spray if you like.

Turn the keg upside down and stand it on a couple of empty kegs or crates, whatever - just as long as you can still get at the two valves.

First time I did this I opened the beer in valve and expected that as I opened the co2 valve the Co2 pressure would begin to drop and as pressures equalized, the beer would flow into the keg. What actually happened was there was a little trapped air - there's always going to be a tiny bit in the head - which was rapidly forced up into my (gravity) filling tank - bubble and splash!

So, what i do now is before opening the beer in valve, i crack open the co2 valve and as the pressure drops, slowly open the beer valve watching for signs of blowback.

Once the keg is filled. Beer valve closed and turn the keg the right way up. Sometimes the last couple of litres won't flow into the keg, in that case carefully and slowly turn the keg the right way up and by the time it's upright, the last 2 litres have gone in.

Refit the co2 line to the co2 valve and - in my case so far it's worked - put 2.5 bar back pressure in the keg. The plastic keg bodies are only rated to 3bar max.

Then I attach the co2 line to the beer in valve, check the gauge is still 2.5 or a tad higher, and slowly open the valve to begin forcing the co2 into the beer-filled bag. Shake the keg a few times during the next 24 hours.

Disconnect.

Fit the serving head and off you go, if you want it fizzier, carb for longer.

I tend to have my beer at 2 to 6 degrees C when filling and keep the keg at that temp during the carbonation time.

I think that about covers it. I'm still experimenting but so far that approach has produced nicely carbonated beers.
My Craft Brewery in France - Brasserie Artisanale en Limousin
My Craft Distillery in France - French Gin

Druncan
Sober

Post by Druncan » Tue May 07, 2019 1:53 pm

@stevetk189, Interested in hearing how you are getting on with the Ecofass kegs? any problems? looking at this route to expand my microbrewery set up.

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Wed May 08, 2019 2:26 pm

Have you also looked at key kegs, they seem to work on the same principle.

I got one a while ago, I had to use a special coupler though, not sure if ecofass kegs use a sankey style coupler or not.

Druncan
Sober

Post by Druncan » Wed May 08, 2019 4:40 pm

Hi Chris2012,
I have several key kegs from neighbouring breweries. They work OK, but the recycling and dismantling is putting me off. Also used ecokegs, but the big ball inside is not currently re-cyclable.

The Ecofass inners are though and 3 months BB date would be fine for me. I am limited on water for sanitising loads of kegs that is another reason I'm getting some. I have a sadly ever-growing range of couplers,,,,,,