Wine from my own red grapes

A forum for winemakers to discuss their craft
dean_wales
Drunk as a Skunk

Wine from my own red grapes

Post by dean_wales » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:12 pm

Hi guys,

So my vine at the allotment seemed to do well in its first year since I rescued it (it was buried in brambles when I inherited the patch and has now been exposed and trained on a fence). I am not sure if the grapes are meant for eating or wine making. They are small very dark in colour and each grapes has one very large pip. Combined with the fact that they aren't super sweet meant the family were eating some but not loads.

I picked just over 9 kilos which is allegedly just over a gallons worth so I decided to aim to stretch them up to two gallons.

A quick wash and then I mashed them all up by hand. Interestingly I found the juice to be very dark red when I have made this wine from other grapes before the juice is actually not very colourful but the skins hold the colour.

I fished out most of the stems, added camben tablets and pectolase and left it overnight. The next day I checked the gravity and it was a disappointing 1.058 so I added sugar to 1.090, a small 250ml can of red concentrated grape juice and a sachet of Young's Burgundy wine yeast. After fermenting for a week on the pulp and mixing each day the mixture was strained through a bag and transferred to a couple of demi johns with a little more sugar.

Now still bubbling away and a lovely deep burgundy colour. Smells lovely too!
Click here for my cider pressing...
Click here to see my 20% Damson port experiment...
Click here for red wine from my allotment vine...

crafty john

Re: Wine from my own red grapes

Post by crafty john » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:07 pm

Good work mate, I will keep an eye on this thread with interest as I have two grape vines, unfortunately due to moving house they didn't do very well this year, I am hoping that now they are established in my greenhouse I will get a decent crop next year.

Nikster

Post by Nikster » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:31 pm

They look like the same ones I used in mine, viewtopic.php?f=13&t=62371, Although the ones I harvested were sweet (the ones inside the green house and looked more blue, the outside ones weren't as sweet and had a hardened skin and more reddish tint to them.

I got similar SG as you as well, so I added 1KG of dextrose and 580g of Morrison's golden syrup, I have bottled wine sitting at ~14.7%, those addition got SG to 1110. It's super, ain't going to make maturity unfortunately. :)

dean_wales
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by dean_wales » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:27 pm

Golden suryp - thats an interesting addition? Any reason.

I am hopeful for a good result although OG was better than mine I am actually wanting a light easy drinking table red here!

Dean

Nikster

Post by Nikster » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:56 pm

It was all I had, that I was willing to sacrifice, but ended up using my last bag of dextrose I had as well.

dean_wales
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by dean_wales » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:01 pm

Checked the two DJ's last night and they are both at 1.000 so I am going to rack off sediment tonight to clean DJ's top right up with boiled water and move somewhere for ageing.

Taste test was OK - definately a strong full bodied red heavy in tannin. Should age well.

Next year, if I get a harvest, I would probably leave it on the pulp for a bit less time.

Otherwise happy so far! Cant decide whether or not to add camden tablet when I rack though....

jakey.goodman

Post by jakey.goodman » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:54 pm

Do you mind me asking how long you left it on the pulp? I was planning to leave for 2 weeks on pulp whilst fermenting, and then pressing the grape skins in a press and adding the juice back. Sounds like that may not be wise!

I really struggled to get a gravity reading with the hydrometer when I did mine, as it was so gloopy. I added about 600g of sugar, and my last (probably inaccurate) hydrometer reading suggested 1.200, so I may have gone a little far!! Ahh well, its a cheap experiment!

fatbloke

Post by fatbloke » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:47 am

A partial success by the sounds of it......... well done

I'm no guru but the low gravity is likely due to the grape type and growing location (temp too ? not sure).

Wine grapes when ripe are very sweet and more natural looking (all shapes and sizes etc) and would be in the 1.080 to 1.090 sort of area (they usually test for ripeness with a refractometer I understand).

For a better technique etc you could have a look at the "grapefest" threads over at winesathome.co.uk as theres plenty of "real grape" making stuff, albeit with italian/spanish grown ones.......

dean_wales
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by dean_wales » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:52 pm

jakey.goodman wrote:Do you mind me asking how long you left it on the pulp?
I think it was around a week. It depends on your grapes, skins on these were a really rich dark black! I have made wine one before and it came out really light with a similar method.
jakey.goodman wrote:my last (probably inaccurate) hydrometer reading suggested 1.200
If that reading is true then you will end up with very strong but very sweet, probably undrinkable wine. That is rouhgly the gravity I aimed at for my port with Alcotec yeast!!

Dean.

fatbloke

Post by fatbloke » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:19 pm

dean_wales wrote:
jakey.goodman wrote:Do you mind me asking how long you left it on the pulp?
I think it was around a week. It depends on your grapes, skins on these were a really rich dark black! I have made wine one before and it came out really light with a similar method.
jakey.goodman wrote:my last (probably inaccurate) hydrometer reading suggested 1.200
If that reading is true then you will end up with very strong but very sweet, probably undrinkable wine. That is rouhgly the gravity I aimed at for my port with Alcotec yeast!!

Dean.
Actually, a gravity of 1.200 is unlikely to even start fermenting. It equates to a possible 27 or so %ABV. Last time I looked there's not a yeast on the market that will manage that. Yes, some of the Alcotec turbo's say that they can manage IRO 23% ABV, but above that, to get "stronger" you'd be looking at fortifying it with some sort of spirits........

dean_wales
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by dean_wales » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:33 am

Well this first attempt seems to be going well so far, fingers crossed!

Last night I racked the wine off the yeast trub. It seems to be clearing nicely, is a vibrant deep dark ruby and tastes great for its age. I could just about drink a glass of it! No off tastes or signs of infection.

Now racked to two clean demi johns and topped up to the brim to age until bottling in the spring.

Dean.

dean_wales
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by dean_wales » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:07 pm

Between this, the cider and the port the demi jons were really getting in the way!

So I bottled this lot up last night into regular wine bottles with plastic re-usable corks and gold shrink wrap over that.

It tastes great for its age, no obvious flaws other than that it is a bit 'thin' flavour wise. This is probably due to the sugar content - next time I might add some fruit as well as just sugar. But the plus side is the thin-dry profile mixed with just the right amount of red wine tannin bite (from fermenting on the pulp) means it goes down very easy.

Will post some pics of the bottles when I get a chance - I got exactly one 12 bottle case out of it! Not bad for such little outlay.

Cant wait for Christmas 2014 to crack open the first bottle!