Reviews of Member's Homebrew

Use this forum to arrange and post reviews of other members' brews.
sunny_jimbob
Piss Artist

Re: Reviews of Member's Homebrew

Post by sunny_jimbob » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:12 pm

Centennial APA - Chris and Mick, Morley Home Brew Centre

Lively hiss on opening. Pours a golden colour with a loosehead. Fruity, zesty aroma promises orange, lemon and grapefruit. The nose doesn't disappoint, with that citrus fruit cocktail tasty but not overpowering. Bitterness cones through and gives a long, refreshing aftertaste. Must ask the lads for this recipe, as it's spot on.
Planck Length Brewery
Fermenting: AG#27 Spectroscope, AG#28 Astatine
Conditioning: AG#25 Event Horizon, AG#26 Planck Postulate, Kit#9 Delta
Drinking: AG#19 - Spectral Line, AG#20 - Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, AG#22 Inertial Confinement Fusion, AG#23 Nebula, AG#24 Olympus Mons

"Beauty is in the hand of the beerholder" brew blog | beer blog

Bert

Post by Bert » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:41 pm

I was lucky enough to get a couple of bottles from the Armchair brewery the other day. This is my first review so don't expect much but I will be honest as Simon requested.

I should of left it a bit longer, to settle, but I couldn't wait - 1 day in the fridge was all I could last.

Anyway here it is, Jaipur Junior:

It opened with a small hiss and a lovely hop aroma. It tastes and smells like grapefruit to me - is that right?! A lovely clean and crips pint with just the right amount of refreshing hops. It doesn't taste a strong as it actually is - it's that smooth. It doesn't have a date on it but I would think this had been conditioned for quite a while. My only critism is that it could of been a bit more carbonated. Overall very impressed and will be asking for a recipe! Next up (probably tomorrow) will be an Armchair IPA.

Cheers

ArmChair
Under the Table

Post by ArmChair » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:34 am

Hi Bert,

Thanks for the review.
When it comes to the carbonation, I struggled with some brews, This was one I struggled on. Since doing this brew my carbonation has improved, on this brew, the cascade is the one you will be able to taste :D
FV1 AG#95 Farwell Freddy
FV2
FV3
FV4
Litres Brewed in :
2013 - 655
2014 - 719
2015 - 726
2016 - 74
Started BIAB 11/02/2013

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:17 pm

ArmChair wrote:Hi Bert,

Thanks for the review.
When it comes to the carbonation, I struggled with some brews, This was one I struggled on. Since doing this brew my carbonation has improved, on this brew, the cascade is the one you will be able to taste :D
How did you get on with bottle carbonation and Ringwood yeast?

My Porter is a nightmare! !

MB
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

Bert

Post by Bert » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:03 pm

ArmChair wrote:Hi Bert,

Thanks for the review.
That said, it was a really nice beer, I've still got the other one in the fridge. Should get it open tonight.

Cheers

Bert

Post by Bert » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:01 pm

So i just cracked open the armchair IPA and must say it's my favourite out of the two Simon gave me. Opened with an almighty hiss, perfect carbonation this time - just how like it. Clean and fruity beer with a nice amount of sweetness too, I have never used Willamette before but will be after this pint. Nice one for these mate, if you ever need another tester I am happy to oblige - will be bottling some to repay you.

Cheers

ArmChair
Under the Table

Post by ArmChair » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:54 pm

Big Dave - Double IPA (abv im not too sure)

This opened with a POP! But I did pick it up from Dave and drive 30 miles home. Couldn't wait to try this, so I opened it soon as I got home.
It pours a similar colour to Adnams Broadside, which happens to be my favourite session ale. However this is not a session ale, it seems to be quite strong, has a nice warming burn on the throat. This beer has a floral and citrus aroma,and the taste is amazing! It starts off with a massive Grapefruit hop bomb with a hint of lemons, then fizzles out on the tounge. This is amazing! I love hoppy beers, and this would give BrewDog a run for the money!

Amazing Dave, and if you want to share the recipe with me, I would appreciate it :D
FV1 AG#95 Farwell Freddy
FV2
FV3
FV4
Litres Brewed in :
2013 - 655
2014 - 719
2015 - 726
2016 - 74
Started BIAB 11/02/2013

bigdave

Post by bigdave » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:11 pm

So please you like it. It's somewhere in the region of 9.8%. It was brewed in that mash tun but only achieved 50-55% mash efficiency. Had I been able to get closer to my intended 61% efficiency It'd have been 10.6%!! The recipe is on here somewhere!?..

Found it!!.... viewtopic.php?f=24&t=61088

Looking forward to trying your bottles a week on friday!!

ArmChair
Under the Table

Post by ArmChair » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:15 pm

Cheers dave,

I thought it had a kick! At 13 litres and 200g of hops, im not suprised it's a hop bomb!

Will give this ago soon all been well :)
FV1 AG#95 Farwell Freddy
FV2
FV3
FV4
Litres Brewed in :
2013 - 655
2014 - 719
2015 - 726
2016 - 74
Started BIAB 11/02/2013

oliver tate

Post by oliver tate » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:29 pm

ok, here are some reviews of forum members beer from the morley bottle swap plus a few others. I actually have another couple of bottles waiting to be drunk and I will get round to them soon. Sorry my reviews are a bit rubbish compared to others ,and no pictures, my palate and language skills aren't as good as others on here!!

Dominator - Armchair Brewery - burnt taste, excellent head, malty. Very nice! I found it very filling and satisfying
Fruit salad - Forum member Injac - soapy (not in an unpleasant way), perfumey. An interesting taste, Am wondering if maybe the hop flavours were still a little immature? (if that makes sense?)
Celebration ale - Drumhead Brewery (I think?) Citrus, poured no head for me, malty finish, good body
Lamp Light - Three little Ducks Brewery - Crisp carbonation, crystal clear, peppery spicy finish. I should of had this one with one of our lass' currys. Very refreshing, nice 1 Mick!
Cold Fusion - Planck Length Brewery - Flat, cloudy, smooth body (I am guessing thats from the oats causing the cloudyness). Orange flavour from the amarillo is superb. I have struggled getting the amarillo ratio right whenever I have used it but this is cock on.
Centennial APA Morley Homebrew- citrus nose, good body, crisp, awesome session beer!! could drink lots and lots of this.
Last saporano - Armchair Brewery - Slightly burnt, chocolate taste, good middle, but I am not keen on the after taste. I reckon its the sugar in the recipe as I followed 2 recipes calling for sugar and I disliked the after taste in each so I wont be using it again. Would probably be an excellent beer without it, sorry!

These Bottle swaps are awesome, I love tasting what other people come up with and hearing what they reckon about mine. I cant wait for the next 1 at Morley Homebrew Centre!!

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:25 am

Drinking a bottle of Timothy's Pumpkin Ale right now in a snifter glass: fruity, caramelly, just the right amount of pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices, I especially like the nutmeg notes, perfect hoppy bittering balance but only faint aromas, super smooth alcoholic warmth, light body, low carbonation, lasting complex aftertaste which eventually finishes dry. Delicious. A perfect seasonal treat. Nice work, Mate!

sunny_jimbob
Piss Artist

Post by sunny_jimbob » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:34 pm

Nooky Blonde - Armchair Brewery

Lovely bright golden blonde colour with a very slight haze, probably where I've kicked up some yeast transporting it. Zesty aroma and good carbonation. Citrus and tropical on the nose with a very pleasant tingle on the tongue. Malt sweetness comes through, then the bitterness comes out. Long aftertaste, very refreshing. This is dangerous beer that drinks way easier than it's 6% should let it!
Planck Length Brewery
Drinking: AG#19 - Spectral Line, AG#20 - Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, AG#22 Inertial Confinement Fusion, AG#23 Nebula, AG#24 Olympus Mons

sunny_jimbob
Piss Artist

Post by sunny_jimbob » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:36 pm

Double IPA - bigdave

Big pop to open, pours a deep amber colour with an immediate massive hop aroma. Citrus, tropical, red fruit, it's all in there. Thick mouthfeel with a big hop mixture on the nose. Balanced sweetness and bitterness come through, with an alcoholic heat at the back of the throat. This is a big beer! Long fruity aftertaste lingers forever. Cracking.
Planck Length Brewery

bigdave

Post by bigdave » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:42 pm

So glad you liked it. I'm down to my last couple of bottles now so I'd best brew some more!! lol

bigdave

Post by bigdave » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:18 pm

I'm notoriously crap at these reviews but here goes...
Armchair Brewery's Nooky Blonde:

Pours perfectly with the sediment clinging to the bottom of the bottle.

Smells fantastic.. Initial aroma is of delicate lager like hops with a citrus bite.

Tastes great!.. Perfect sharpness balanced my the malt.

I look forward to brewing something as good!!