Brewing a Hefeweizen with my Speidel Braumeister

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Frothy

Re: Brewing a Hefeweizen with my Speidel Braumeister

Post by Frothy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:47 pm

Lovely bit of kit, I can really see the benefit of this system / RIMS etc. when it comes to these high adjunct beers. Thankyou for the detailed write-up :)
Quick questions->
How does the brew-meister heat the wort? is it a concealed element under the pot? or in-line like a RIMS?

cheers

DeGarre
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by DeGarre » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:21 am

Frothy wrote:...
How does the brew-meister heat the wort? is it a concealed element under the pot? or in-line like a RIMS?

cheers
It is sort of a long kettle coil going around inside the pot so that the malt pipe sits inside it. Ramps up the temp at 65 seconds per 1 degree celcius (20 litre version).

swiggingpig
Steady Drinker

Post by swiggingpig » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:28 pm

MashBag wrote:swiggingpig

How did the beer turn out?
Sorry for the late reply, I'd aimed for an OG of 1.048 ended up with 1.043 :(

WLP300 had a right appetite !!! I ended up with a FG of 1.007 :shock:

When I was transferring this to the keg I got a wonderful banana aroma from it which seems to have faded a bit in the glass, but not much in the way of clove. Some banana in the taste but because it's was so 'dry' I think the lack of residual sweetness had reduced the perceived banana-er-i-ness.

It turned out to be nice weizen but had it's flaws, although I've reached my target 4.7% it had been at the expense of body, on the plus side this would make a really good hot summers day thirst quencher :)

I brewed this again with the same grains and mash schedule and got very similar numbers, OG 1.046 and FG 1.008, but this time I used WLP380 for the yeast.

I was very pleased with the final beer, WLP380 has the flavour profile that I prefer, more clove and a little less banana.

WPL380 will be my Hefeweizen yeast for future brews :D
Last edited by swiggingpig on Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swiggingpig
Steady Drinker

Post by swiggingpig » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:36 pm

leedsbrew wrote:Looking good fella! How did the beer turn out! I never did get round to writing the 'part 2' of that blog post......in fact the blog has taken a bit of a back seat recently! May have to correct that soon!
No worries, I recall that everything got a bit busy for you around that time :D

My beer report is hopefully the post above this but it was your blog which set me off down this path and I believe it's a combination of the choice of yeast AND the ferulic acid rest which is giving me the flavour profile I really like in a Hefeweizen.

Thank you for putting the science up on your blog =D>

swiggingpig
Steady Drinker

Post by swiggingpig » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:39 pm

Frothy wrote:Lovely bit of kit, I can really see the benefit of this system / RIMS etc. when it comes to these high adjunct beers. Thankyou for the detailed write-up :)
Quick questions->

cheers
It's a stainless steel circular element very close to the walls, the 2nd picture probably shows it the best.