Free online Course - Chemistry of Beer (starts Jan 14th)

Members' meetings, Beer Festivals and the like - bung it on here. Old topics will be pruned after 3 months.
lancsSteve

Free online Course - Chemistry of Beer (starts Jan 14th)

Post by lancsSteve » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:57 pm

Just been sent this link, thought it might be of interest to others here - looks like MOOCs have come to brewing!
Chemistry of Beer
This course covers the process of brewing from grain to final bottle product and the chemical and biochemical process involved in each step. Students will be required to utilize previous knowledge in General and Organic chemistry to understand: analytical techniques in brewing, chemistry of the ingredients and products, and the molecules involved in the biochemical processes. During the course, students will also learn the similarities and differences between beer styles, home and commercial brewing processes, and analytical techniques. There is a great deal of Biochemistry and Organic Chemistry involved in the malting, mashing and fermentation process and understanding the chemistry behind the flavor, aroma, and color of beer. Students should have a basic knowledge of general and organic chemistry.

https://janux.ou.edu/landing/course.chem4970.html

masterosouffle

Re: Free online Course - Chemistry of Beer (starts Jan 14th)

Post by masterosouffle » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:04 pm

Cheers, I've signed, I guess time will tell if it's over my head!

dontbother
Steady Drinker

Post by dontbother » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:05 pm

lancsSteve wrote:Just been sent this link, thought it might be of interest to others here - looks like MOOCs have come to brewing!
Chemistry of Beer
This course covers the process of brewing from grain to final bottle product and the chemical and biochemical process involved in each step. Students will be required to utilize previous knowledge in General and Organic chemistry to understand: analytical techniques in brewing, chemistry of the ingredients and products, and the molecules involved in the biochemical processes. During the course, students will also learn the similarities and differences between beer styles, home and commercial brewing processes, and analytical techniques. There is a great deal of Biochemistry and Organic Chemistry involved in the malting, mashing and fermentation process and understanding the chemistry behind the flavor, aroma, and color of beer. Students should have a basic knowledge of general and organic chemistry.

https://janux.ou.edu/landing/course.chem4970.html
I also signed up for the general chemistry one which has already started as the text says basic knowledge of chemistry.... If I'd been told at school that chemistry had an application in making beer I might have put some effort in.

What's puzzled me is why it needed 5 minutes to deal with kg to g to mg with "dimensional analysis" and km to miles :roll:

Heron1952
Piss Artist

Post by Heron1952 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:58 am

Well I think I've signed up to this but who knows Oklahoma web site seems to be very iPad unfriendly and crashes out regularly. IPad wil be useless anyway as they see to be using flash for video! I'll have to use the laptop.
aka Rhys

JeremyDuncombe

Post by JeremyDuncombe » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:45 pm

I have signed up too. OK on my old ipad so far. It doesn't work with Safari, so you need to install a Flash-friendly browser - I am currently using Puffin which costs a couple of quid in the app store. Looking forward to the course, better make sure a few brain cells survive the Christmas break.

Heron1952
Piss Artist

Post by Heron1952 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:11 pm

Ah! didn't know there was anyway to get flash to work on an IPad really will have a look.
Great the free Puffin browser seems to work at the moment.
Last edited by Heron1952 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aka Rhys

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:25 pm

I signed up. Be interesting to see if I remember any of my A level Chemistry from 1976..

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:16 pm

Don't really think I need more chemistry in my life but what the hell! Excellent spot, looking forward to it

Heron1952
Piss Artist

Post by Heron1952 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:50 am

This started yesterday. very interesting but I'm not sure my chemistry or rather chemical notation is quite up to it.
I would have found it easier to understand if the structure of carbohydrate molecules had been shown as 3d animated structures instead of jumping straight away to chemical notation!!
aka Rhys

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:02 pm

I was working my way through the introductory videos and was fine with the brewing aspects and then I got to the first chemistry sections and it is far outside of my skillset but I'll persevere for as long as I can.

Heron1952
Piss Artist

Post by Heron1952 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:10 pm

AnthonyUK wrote:I was working my way through the introductory videos and was fine with the brewing aspects and then I got to the first chemistry sections and it is far outside of my skillset but I'll persevere for as long as I can.
Me too!! I've been reading up on organic chemistry notation today think that may help!! There are also some references on the course website in addition to the videos. Ten days to get up to speed before the next course!!!
aka Rhys

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:39 pm

Interesting I'm following it but as I don't need credits I'm going to cherry pick. What I know/knew about organic chem was long ago but enough remains that I'm familiar with the chemistry and concepts.
My "scientific curiosity" is lower these days but I think I'll find some useful stuff among the academic knob polishing.

aamcle

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:02 am

I'm still a bit concerned that there will be no application for this knowledge.
It is not something you see discussed much on brewing forums and I wonder if it is irrelevant especially at a homebrewing level.

djbadger

Post by djbadger » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:20 pm

Signed up yesterday and had a look at the first few videos and course notes. Hoping that getting a deeper understanding of the process will help with understanding the 'why' as well as the 'how'. I'm happy with my brewing but most of my knowledge has been gained through reading extensively about how others do it and applying that to my brewing. This might be the way to go a step further. It is pretty technical - I did Chem A level thirty years ago and without that I don't think I would have got past the proteins and lipids intro at all. I think I'll keep it up as long as its enjoyable.

Jackthehat
Tippler

Post by Jackthehat » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:28 pm

Did anyone else bother to watch the introduction on Academic Integrity.

She's gorgeous!