HOW I SWEETEN TURBO CIDER (TRUCKERS ANTI-FREEZE)

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Old Speckled Ben

Re: HOW I SWEETEN TURBO CIDER (TRUCKERS ANTI-FREEZE)

Post by Old Speckled Ben » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:40 pm

That really is a good read

I can't wait to try out your methods :-)

GARYSMIFF

Post by GARYSMIFF » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:25 pm

Managed to get 50 ltrs of Princes Pure Apple Juice that had a best before date of this month for a very good price :D ( under a 10a)

so did it as per truckers 1020 method with a tad more sugar and has worked out very very good I was going to add some raspberry cordial but have decided to add to the glass when required that way i can use any high juice to get the sweetness I want.

Great post
NB:my TC is in a Cornie in the Kegerator
Last edited by GARYSMIFF on Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:34 pm

Glad you like it Smiffy. I did the last 20L using S04 slurry. The outside fridge I have is a bit hit and miss on temperature control. The TC is normally fine as long as it is KEPT COLD. The last lot must have been kept longer than normal and fermented very slowly in the bottles (no problem as I use PET bottles) I just released the pressure slowly a few days in a row and its good again. When over carbonated it becomes like soda water and looses some flavour.
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

GARYSMIFF

Post by GARYSMIFF » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:39 pm

I'm more than happy with it buddy its a must have in the store albeit it dont last long , it tends to creep up on me though but I like that as I have been brewing lots of low % beer and it makes a refreshing change from a session brew that said its got a great flavor profile, might try it with some wheat yeast next time.
NB: I like to drink it cloudy

Cazamodo

Post by Cazamodo » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:11 pm

Hi guys, read through this thread and found it very helpfull.
I started just cooling my brews to stop the fermentation, but I now use a different method. Its not as easy as just cooling them, but it is easier for me since I dont have a brew fridge, and brew many bottle of cider at a time!
Heres a link. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy-st ... cs-193295/

Laripu
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Laripu » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:52 pm

Cazamodo wrote:Hi guys, read through this thread and found it very helpfull.
I started just cooling my brews to stop the fermentation, but I now use a different method. Its not as easy as just cooling them, but it is easier for me since I dont have a brew fridge, and brew many bottle of cider at a time!
I think I favour your method over mine, and I'll try it next time. I see some benefits:

1. While it appears to be slower (because you do fewer bottles at a time) it probably isn't, because they stay in the water for less time. There is more involvement, but it's a hobby so that's a good thing. :D
2. It seems to be much more reliable because hot water transfers heat more efficiently than air in an oven, even with convection going.
3. If there is an explosion or any kind of accident, it's in a covered pot, not in your oven where it can make a mess.

Yes, indeed, I prefer your method and will use it next time. (For the moment, I still have about 30 half-litre Grolsch flip-top bottles in the fridge - and we don't drink it often.)
Secondary FV: As yet unnamed Weizenbock ~7%
Bulk aging: Soodo: Grocery store grape juice wine experiment.
Drinking: Mostly Canadian whisky until I start brewing again.

Spud395

Post by Spud395 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:10 pm

Great link Caz, it's inspired me to give TC one more bash.
I actually love my 18 month old TC, but have no intentions of ever leaving a brew that long again to mature.
Only reason I left this one so long was it frightened the bejasus out of me the 1st time I tried it :lol:

Anyway this is interesting stuff and I'll give it a go in the next few brews

phatboytall
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by phatboytall » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:06 pm

Great thread folks!

Will be giving the TC a go tonight with some extra summer fruits added.

Ed
I am not a Beer expert.....thats exactly the point.

Check out my blog where i review bottled beers
http://www.thebeerbunker.co.uk/ or find me on twitter @thebeerbunker

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:15 am

I think yeast are killed by pressure at about 100psi. Does anyone know how much pressure a PET bottle can take?

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Sat May 17, 2014 4:08 pm

Laripu wrote:
I think I favour your method over mine, and I'll try it next time. I see some benefits:

1. While it appears to be slower (because you do fewer bottles at a time) it probably isn't, because they stay in the water for less time. There is more involvement, but it's a hobby so that's a good thing. :D
2. It seems to be much more reliable because hot water transfers heat more efficiently than air in an oven, even with convection going.
3. If there is an explosion or any kind of accident, it's in a covered pot, not in your oven where it can make a mess.

Yes, indeed, I prefer your method and will use it next time. (For the moment, I still have about 30 half-litre Grolsch flip-top bottles in the fridge - and we don't drink it often.)
Laripu,

Did you ever end up giving this sweetening method a try? I see that apple juice is on sale this week so I'm thinking of making some TC.

Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

Laripu
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Laripu » Sat May 17, 2014 4:43 pm

6470zzy wrote:
Laripu wrote:

Laripu,

Did you ever end up giving this sweetening method a try? I see that apple juice is on sale this week so I'm thinking of making some TC.

Cheers
No, I never did. We took so long to finish that batch of cider that I never made it again.
Secondary FV: As yet unnamed Weizenbock ~7%
Bulk aging: Soodo: Grocery store grape juice wine experiment.
Drinking: Mostly Canadian whisky until I start brewing again.

CestrIan

Post by CestrIan » Mon May 19, 2014 12:08 am

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life. I've been sweetening my TC with maltodextrin and sweetex and it's just not quite right. The immersion pasteurising method sounds great. I'm gonna give this a go soon.
Stay Home - Make Beer - Drink Beer

6470zzy

Post by 6470zzy » Mon May 19, 2014 9:53 am

CestrIan wrote:Thanks for bringing this thread back to life. I've been sweetening my TC with maltodextrin and sweetex and it's just not quite right. The immersion pasteurising method sounds great. I'm gonna give this a go soon.
What yeast are you using? I am in search for one that will leave more of the apple scent intact.

Cheers
Oscar Wilde

CestrIan

Post by CestrIan » Mon May 19, 2014 7:38 pm

I've used us05 in the past as I always have some left over from the last PA but it left subtle ale flavours. Not bad, but not great! The last few brews Ive used champagne yeast, but when I've crash cooled and then left in bulk at cold temp for a week like I do with my ales it has taken too much yeast out of the cider and they haven't bottle conditioned very well, or it's taken ages anyway. This time I'm using young's cider yeast, so we'll see how that goes. I didn't lose any apple aroma or flavour with the champagne yeast though, but I don't add much sugar, just grape juice as I want it about 4.5-5.0%ABV anyway.
Stay Home - Make Beer - Drink Beer

6470zzy

Post by 6470zzy » Mon May 19, 2014 10:58 pm

CestrIan wrote:I've used us05 in the past as I always have some left over from the last PA but it left subtle ale flavours. Not bad, but not great! The last few brews Ive used champagne yeast, but when I've crash cooled and then left in bulk at cold temp for a week like I do with my ales it has taken too much yeast out of the cider and they haven't bottle conditioned very well, or it's taken ages anyway. This time I'm using young's cider yeast, so we'll see how that goes. I didn't lose any apple aroma or flavour with the champagne yeast though, but I don't add much sugar, just grape juice as I want it about 4.5-5.0%ABV anyway.

I am very interested to hear your thoughts on Young's cider yeast, please be sure to update when you give it a taste test.

Cheers
Oscar Wilde