punk ipa from malt miller

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
Dave-Leeds

punk ipa from malt miller

Post by Dave-Leeds » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:11 pm

Has any1 brewed this from the malt miller?,
http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.ph ... ductId=611
is it anything like the real drink?

cheers
Last edited by Dave-Leeds on Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

AnthonyUK

Re: maltmiller

Post by AnthonyUK » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:11 pm

I haven't made it....yet but it is on my list.
It is similar to other recipes I've seen so no reason it won't be reasonably close.

You could make your thread title a bit more descriptive if you want more interest ;)
Last edited by AnthonyUK on Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barry44

Re: maltmiller

Post by barry44 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:14 pm

My mate makes something using the same hops, a lot more mind, and it isn't far away.

Dave-Leeds

Re: punk ipa from malt miller

Post by Dave-Leeds » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:10 pm

Cheers lads.think ill give it a go and see what it turns out like

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:59 pm

Dave-Leeds wrote:Cheers lads.think ill give it a go and see what it turns out like
Keep us informed Dave.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Dave-Leeds

Post by Dave-Leeds » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:44 am

Will do Lee mate. Be a couple of months till i get a chance

hopefully shed will be here 2moro then my little project will be in full swing :D

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:36 pm

Depending on how my first BIAB goes I wouldn't mind trying this one!

beerlover1983

Post by beerlover1983 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:12 pm

Ive brewed this bottled some at weekend going to a video review of it soon.But early taste from trial jar was amazing could of drunk it from fermenter.

Dave-Leeds

Post by Dave-Leeds » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:09 pm

Good stuff. You will have to put a link up when you taste test.all been well i should be getting 1 soon. Just putting finishing touces to my kit

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:42 pm

What yeast did you use?
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:43 pm

I wish there was a pellet option for dry hopping. I hate using bags etc and have had far better results with pellets. My hop filter wouldn't take pellets in the boil though. One of the biggest benefits of these kits would be to get exactly the right hops/pellets without having to buy the whole 100g packs, so there's no great advantage I can see for me.

I'd use 2 or 3 sachets of us-05 in this, having tested it against NBS West Coast in very similar brews.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

GrowlingDogBeer
Even further under the Table

Post by GrowlingDogBeer » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:29 pm

I brewed it a fortnight ago. Dry hopped it on Tuesday. I don't use a hop bag I just throw them in loose. Never had a problem.

I have crash cooled now and will be bottling and kegging tomorrow.

I don't quite understand MTW comments about not having to buy the whole 100g packs of hops as you need them all in this recipe. There are no hops left over.
I used the Vermont Ale yeast.

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:21 pm

GrowlingDogBeer wrote:I brewed it a fortnight ago. Dry hopped it on Tuesday. I don't use a hop bag I just throw them in loose. Never had a problem.

I have crash cooled now and will be bottling and kegging tomorrow.

I don't quite understand MTW comments about not having to buy the whole 100g packs of hops as you need them all in this recipe. There are no hops left over.
I used the Vermont Ale yeast.
Sorry if I didn't explain myself very well. I was saying it would be nice to be able to choose pellets for the dry hopping. If that were to be made possible, you wouldn't need the full 100g of each of the leaf hops for 2x19L batches. You'd need part leaf, part pellet. A good bonus of the kit would be if it could already have that split included: normally, you'd have to buy a 100g bag of leaves and 100g bag of pellets for each hop in the recipe, if you wanted to dry hop with pellets (and your kettle filter didn't handle pellets). Hope that explains it better!

BTW, do you syphon when racking (without a filter) as normal when dry hopping with loose leaves, or maybe a from a tap at bottom of FV?
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

GrowlingDogBeer
Even further under the Table

Post by GrowlingDogBeer » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:45 pm

I get what you mean now. That would work better for me too. I prefer dry hopping with pellets. I will suggest it to Rob and see if it's something he could do.

Brewtaster

Post by Brewtaster » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:57 pm

Hi - brewed this last Sunday with an OG of 1.055. Checked it yesterday and it was all done at 1.010. Smells amazing. The dry hops are in. Incidentally I use an infusion ball for this, keeps all the hops in one place and easy to clean afterwards. At the moment I'm surprised that it's v. cloudy but we'll check nextweekend and see how it's doing.