Sparging your leaf hops Yes or No?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
cumbrianwolf

Sparging your leaf hops Yes or No?

Post by cumbrianwolf » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:33 pm

I am curious as I as a matter of course sparge my loose leaf hops but you will have all noticed how much trub is sent to the FV. So I am tempted to quicken things up and lessen the chance of any contaminants of the trub entering the system by not sparging my hops and yes I understand I will lose a few degrees of extract.

So what is your opinions on this option and do you sparge the hops or leave them as a trub filter? :?:
And is it a logical approach or just not worth loosing the extra degrees of potential extract? :?:

barry44

Re: Sparging your leaf hops Yes or No?

Post by barry44 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:54 pm

what exactly do you mean by sparging your hops?

I am unaware of the method or concept.

cumbrianwolf

Post by cumbrianwolf » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:58 pm

Basically using the sparge arm that you would use for sparging the grains and gently washing the loose hops in the bottom of the boiler with hot water 80oC to extract any remaining degrees of extract.

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:00 pm

It is certainly usual to leave them on the trub as a filter.
Best wishes

Dave

cumbrianwolf

Post by cumbrianwolf » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:04 pm

Just what I learnt from Dave LInes Big book of brewing as he would flush his hops with the garden rose he used to use as a sparging system as well as John Alexander's book "A guide to craft brewing" I was curious to see what others thought about the subject, but it looks as though it may not be a common practice.

banjokat

Post by banjokat » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:20 pm

Well, that's a new one for me. Never heard of it before. I just whirlpool before draining the boiler. The hops are then dumped.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:27 pm

It's a no from me. They have up to an hour of floating around in litres and litres of boiling wort. Throwing a bit more hot water over them wouldn't seem to do much.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

cumbrianwolf

Post by cumbrianwolf » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:34 pm

You have got me all wrong. :lol: What I meant was draining the wort from the boiler you are then left with a hop filter bed. Therefore I sparge these hops to recover some of the maltose sugars that has been absorbed by them. :)

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:15 pm

At least one member of JBK that I know of does sparge his hops.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

Wasp_Box
Steady Drinker

Post by Wasp_Box » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:32 pm

So do I. A quick rinse with a kettle of boiling water and that's it. I wouldn't bother with a sparge setup but I'm b*ggered if I'm leaving lots of lovely sugars in the spent hops.

boingy

Post by boingy » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:52 pm

Yes or no?
No.

cumbrianwolf

Re: Sparging your leaf hops Yes or No and your reason why?

Post by cumbrianwolf » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:07 pm

Wasp_Box wrote:So do I. A quick rinse with a kettle of boiling water and that's it. I wouldn't bother with a sparge setup but I'm b*ggered if I'm leaving lots of lovely sugars in the spent hops.
Me too as they can absorb quite a bit, my Phil's sparge arm is already hooked up to the HLT so there is no hardship to hold it over the hops for a short while.

thepatchworkdoll
Piss Artist

Post by thepatchworkdoll » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:34 pm

Its A definite No for me

b2b
Tippler

Post by b2b » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:54 pm

Yes from me, any topup water goes through the hop bed. Usually give it a clarity and taste check - it's like a late addition hop tea with tiny bit of sugar from whatever's left around the hops. Loads of extra flavour, versus just plain water as the alternative. I've even started planning it into the brew - 10l at the end of a 90l batch to wash through the remaining goodness.

I don't know whether it's meanness (getting the last few % out of the ingredients) or flavour hunting that drives this, but it works for me.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:44 am

cumbrianwolf wrote:You have got me all wrong. :lol: What I meant was draining the wort from the boiler you are then left with a hop filter bed. Therefore I sparge these hops to recover some of the maltose sugars that has been absorbed by them. :)
Ah, apologies!

Sounds interesting, would be worth doing a comparison test to see if there's any difference.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.