Bohemian pilsner in a saison?

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
DaveyT
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Bohemian pilsner in a saison?

Post by DaveyT » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:33 pm

Hello chaps
I bought some Bohemisn Pilsner malt to make a saison. It was some time ago (July?) and I'm not sure where I got the idea from.
I finally have the opportunity to brew it soon, though. Will it be worth having a go? I was also thinking of adding some oats as my obsession with them continues.

Cheers
Evolution didn't end with us growing thumbs.
Bill Hicks

Mr. Dripping

Re: Bohemian pilsner in a saison?

Post by Mr. Dripping » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:50 pm

If I've understood my readings correctly, saisons were/are farmhouse beers that were brewed with whatever ingredients were to hand locally.
My saison recipe includes about 20% pilsner malt which I use for a bit of graininess.

DaveyT

Post by DaveyT » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:01 pm

Worth using a the base malt, do you think?
Bill Hicks

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:09 pm

Don't see a problem.....a lot of saisons are made using a pilsner or lager malt base.

DaveyT

Post by DaveyT » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:51 pm

Rockin. Was originally thinking of putting a touch of biscuit and Vienna malts in, but I haven't used Bohemian before so feel I ought to try it on its own.
Bill Hicks

och29
Piss Artist

Post by och29 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:51 pm

My current saison is 63% bohemian floor malted pilsner and it's brilliant! 18% Vienna, then rye, wheat and buckwheat in equal enough quantities.
Drinking: AG#7 Final Sprint (APA), AG#8 Buckwheat Brett (Saison - Saison/Brett), AG#9 Helles Meister
Conditioning: -
Fermenting: Selection Pinot Grigio
Planning: Orange Blossom Mead, Mexican Honey Mead, Chocolate Stout

DaveyT

Post by DaveyT » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:54 pm

och29 wrote:My current saison is 63% bohemian floor malted pilsner and it's brilliant! 18% Vienna, then rye, wheat and buckwheat in equal enough quantities.
That sounds fantastic. I've been using rye recently and it never fails to impress. I have some Crystal Rye so I could steep it and boil it separately. If I split the batch, I could put the rye in one and leave it out of the other for comparison. I've also got some frozen figs that'll be finding their way in both batches.
Getting some great ideas! Thanks!
Bill Hicks

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:56 am

Post #1000

I used various grains in Saisons and I've never been disappointed primarily though the yeast provides 90% of the flavour.