Sous vide rare "roast" beef sandwiches

Fed up with just drinking your homebrew? Post here if you want to talk about using beer in food recipes! Or if you just want to share something about food.
ciderhead
Piss Artist

Re: Sous vide rare "roast" beef sandwiches

Post by ciderhead » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:38 pm

johnrm wrote:True, Mr CH. Cover the element in the BM to reduce contact with the meat.

you see you don't have that problem with herms and a MT ;)

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:00 pm

What about RIMS and a thermopot?

I'm sure that would work just perfect......butchers for me tomorrow.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

schlafsack

Re: Sous vide rare

Post by schlafsack » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:11 pm

LeeH wrote:What about RIMS and a thermopot?

I'm sure that would work just perfect......butchers for me tomorrow.
Works very well indeed:

JamesF
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by JamesF » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:12 pm

I sense an undercurrent of homebrewers attempting to justify to their other half the retaining of their brewing gear in the kitchen on the grounds that it can be used for cooking too.

James

ciderhead
Piss Artist

Post by ciderhead » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:37 pm

Don't get me started on that vac sealer ;)

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:38 pm

I guess recirculating it via RIMS is better then static water in my HLT?
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

johnrm
Tippler

Post by johnrm » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:35 am

Recirculate your HLT with a Solar pump.

After you have this setup, you may even move to BIAB with recirc!

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:17 am

roscoe wrote:I used my vac packer and my temp controlled HLT, just slipped the steaks in between the hermes coil.
Can't remember temp, but time wasn't that long.
Did tests with sirloin.rib-eye,rump at same time,... hoping that the sous vide would magically transform rump into filler !
result was that ribeye is always a big winner for me.

Unless the steaks are really thick or you are cooking large numbers its a waste of time imho

Also for us chicken and big roasts or leg lamb usually work out brill in the slow cooker
That what me Mrs is thinking! Once I built me new shiny with a pid to control it, and she got also her hands on the vac packer after the hop swapping I got in to.
I think I she see it as a " win win " type of thing. #-o
To Busy To Add,

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:18 pm

sonicated wrote:Whenever I usually have roast beef sandwiches the beef is overcooked - this is where cooking in a waterbath or "sous vide" is perfect!
Hi mate,

Any idea how long this needs to be in?

Cannot find a definitive answer on the net, the an app I downloaded says 4 hours!

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:33 am

Well it's in at 53 degC for 13hrs.

nursebetty

Post by nursebetty » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:51 pm

Looks nice but a little too rare for my stomach
Love Silverside on a sandwich :D

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:53 pm

I have been using a water bath for about 5 years now and although not an expert by any means I did a lot of reading up about it (the information then was a lot more science based and a lot of food safety information than a lot of the straight recipes I have seen thrown up on the web in the last year or two as it the technique has become more popular).
I would have concerns about the temperature stated in this thread as anything below 54.5C/130F is fine for cooking periods of less than four hours but can be dangerous for longer times as it can effectively help harmful bacteria grow as it is in the "danger zone" temperature range.
I have seen it recommended in a lot of places to cook at 55C or above for the longer cook times as this will give you a pink medium rare result but give you a slight safety margin as well, important if you sous vide device is calibrated slightly off and/or not extremely accurate.
That said the sandwiches look delicious, although I would probably prefer them ever so slightly higher at about medium rare and still pink edge to edge :)

BrewerBen

Post by BrewerBen » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:46 pm

Seeing as this has turned into a general Sous Vide thread i thought i would add my attempt. I recently got a vacuum sealer to re seal hops but seeing as i have temp controllers for fermentation control and a slow cooker i thought i would combine them and have a go at sous vide steak. I do like a good steak but as i don't cook them enough i struggle to consistently get them the way i like it. I prefer my steak medium so as pink and juicy as possible while the texture being that of cooked meat rather then the more raw texture of a rarer steak. I'm hoping cooking this way will get me the steak i like and to be able to do it reliably.

Pretty simple setup of a inbird itc 1000 controller and 3.5ltr slow cooker. I got it up to temp with boiling water and set to 56C and hoping for a medium steak.

Nothing too fancy, i was tempted to add some thyme and garlic but for the first attempt kept it simply and just seasoned with plenty of salt and pepper. I volunteered my parents to try this out on and on the left is a small fillet steak for my mum and, with the other 2 being rump (big one in the middle is mine :-)). All steaks are about a inch thick.

Vacuum sealed.

The rump steak will be in for about 4 hours where the smaller filet is in for 2.

I bought a cast iron griddle pan especially as i am anticipating many steak dinners after this trial.

Steak out of the water bath and patted dry with kitchen towel.

Plating up, no pan shot as i was in a bit of a rush.

In hindsight i should have left it in the pan longer to get more of a char/crust but was worried about over cooking it. It was however perfectly pink on the inside and very tasty. Not quite as juicy as i expected and i'm not quite sure if it was due to the cooking time or temp (i did notince alot of fluid had come out the steak and into the bag). Internet sites vary quite a bit on cooking times so i just picked one as a benchmark for the first attempt. Next steak i will try less time in the water bath and more time in the pan and get the pan as hot as i possibly can.

BenB

Post by BenB » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:04 pm

Nice! I made my wife a sous vide steak. Trouble is she likes it blue... Ain't no timings for blue steaks because it kind of defeats the point of cooking sous vide!!! Basically you should stick it in the water bath for 0 minutes. Oh well. Finished it with a blowtorch and it came out nice. More medium rare than blue but it tasted nice by all accounts.

I'm currently converting a fish kettle into a dedicated sous vide bath for venison, lamb etc. It will connect to my PID controller from my HLT and should be nice. Just got to take the lid to the garage to chop one end off with the chop saw and glue it in place (therein offering some protection from water splashing onto the external electrical connectors at the element end).

BrewerBen

Post by BrewerBen » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:24 pm

hmmmm a blowtorch you say - i wish i had thought of that. One of the adjustments for next time i think.