Yeast starter questions: Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
hambrook
Piss Artist

Re: Yeast starter questions: Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale

Post by hambrook » Fri May 22, 2015 8:16 pm

My Wyeast was still going after 6 days; it eventually fell about day 12, take a look at my earlier post for the krausen ring still hanging join even after crash cooling. What temp did you mash at?
- Former owner of The Emsworth Brewhouse -
Now back to home brewing of a Braumeister 50L

BrewerBen

Post by BrewerBen » Fri May 22, 2015 8:46 pm

The mash schedules was Mash in at 38C,75 Mins @ 64C and then 10 Mins @ 78C. I see you sold your BM, not packing it in i hope or is it the relentless drive for upgrades that this hobby sucks you in to?

Goulders
Under the Table

Post by Goulders » Fri May 22, 2015 8:50 pm

You can always crash cool which should stop the ferment

BrewerBen

Post by BrewerBen » Fri May 22, 2015 9:02 pm

I don't yet have a brew fridge or somewhere to put one so have to ride it out for now. If its not looking done by Sunday i'll just make a starter for Monday so it s not a huge problem it would just be convenient.

hambrook
Piss Artist

Post by hambrook » Fri May 22, 2015 9:38 pm

BrewerBen wrote:The mash schedules was Mash in at 38C,75 Mins @ 64C and then 10 Mins @ 78C. I see you sold your BM, not packing it in i hope or is it the relentless drive for upgrades that this hobby sucks you in to?
BM 20L sold, BM 50L arriving next week ;-) Gonna need bigger fermenters. I think you have a BM 50L Ben; might pick your brains. A hoist might be a first purchase?!
- Former owner of The Emsworth Brewhouse -
Now back to home brewing of a Braumeister 50L

BrewerBen

Post by BrewerBen » Tue May 26, 2015 10:55 pm

Well i kegged it on monday as the gravity had been stable for a while and used the slurry straight in the next brew. I should have waited as there was a lot of yeast in suspension, only really noticed when i did a clear bottle after kegging and there is already a thick deposit of yeast at the bottom. On the bright side it does seem to be clearing quickly and i have more bottles with a good layer of yeast for potential future use. The next brew i wont rush and as i will be dry hopping it will get a few days extra anyway.