Brew Builder conical fermentors

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
UpTheToon
Piss Artist

Brew Builder conical fermentors

Post by UpTheToon » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:05 am

Mr Lard has his new conicals up on his website now.

http://www.brewbuilder.co.uk/7gal-std-c ... enter.html
http://www.brewbuilder.co.uk/14gal-std- ... enter.html

£315 for 7gal and £415 for 14gal.

Lots of tri-clamps... must resist!

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Brew Builder conical fermentors

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:36 pm

These look like the SS Chronicals , though it is hard to do a direct comparison, as they are rated in us gallons.

Interested in the half barrel unit myself

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:27 pm

I would love one but now much would a heating/cooling set up cost to implement? Say you already have the coil attached on the lid, how then do you set up the water bath/chiler i.e. a pump and specific equipment like temp controller (STC or the likes), how to keep it warm/cool etc? All seems a little more complicated than my brew fridge set up.

They do look cracking though I would be interested how much all the extras come to

On a side note, gutted I paid £125 for a RIMS tube and accessories and see he has it down to £80 some weeks later. All part of the game but gutting all the same.
Last edited by Rhodesy on Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:43 pm

Sorry for the off-topic but I was looking at his RIMS tube, it comes with a BSP-->tri-clamp fitting right for the element?

Which element do you need for it?

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:55 pm

3KW element for £50 on the site which you will need to wire up

Goulders
Under the Table

Post by Goulders » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:56 pm

See this bloghere. I believe it is this element

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:59 pm

Awesome thanks guys!

mrlard

Post by mrlard » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:58 pm

Rhodesy wrote:I would love one but now much would a heating/cooling set up cost to implement? Say you already have the coil attached on the lid, how then do you set up the water bath/chiler i.e. a pump and specific equipment like temp controller (STC or the likes), how to keep it warm/cool etc? All seems a little more complicated than my brew fridge set up.

They do look cracking though I would be interested how much all the extras come to

On a side note, gutted I paid £125 for a RIMS tube and accessories and see he has it down to £80 some weeks later. All part of the game but gutting all the same.

mate you got the full kit!!!!

the price now only includes the tube and clamps.......... many people wanted many variations. Sooo we listened and adjusted accordingly..... allowing punters to pick what they wanted :mrgreen:
TheSumOfAllBeers wrote:These look like the SS Chronicals , though it is hard to do a direct comparison, as they are rated in us gallons.

Interested in the half barrel unit myself
re the conicals you get more volume for less money!! that can only be a good thing!

right that's it I have used up all my posts for another year :D :D :D #-o :roll: :wink:

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:24 pm

mrlard wrote:
Rhodesy wrote:I would love one but now much would a heating/cooling set up cost to implement? Say you already have the coil attached on the lid, how then do you set up the water bath/chiler i.e. a pump and specific equipment like temp controller (STC or the likes), how to keep it warm/cool etc? All seems a little more complicated than my brew fridge set up.

mate you got the full kit!!!!

the price now only includes the tube and clamps.......... many people wanted many variations. Sooo we listened and adjusted accordingly..... allowing punters to pick what they wanted :mrgreen:

right that's it I have used up all my posts for another year :D :D :D #-o :roll: :wink:
Fair play for coming back, I admit never did read all the description when I noticed :D.

hambrook
Piss Artist

Post by hambrook » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:18 am

I'm on the verge of getting a 64 litre conical and was eyeing up the SS Brewing version (17 US gallons; 64 litres).

£414 from HomeBrewShop: (¢10.95 delivery) https://homebrewshop.be/en/fermenters/1 ... itres.html
Or Rob at Malt miller is saying he weill be selling for £465

The MISSINg parts from the Home Brew Builder offering, vs SS Brewing, seem to be:
1) No thermowell; surely mandatory for any kind of temp control
2) No domed lid so zero headspace if you fill to the brim (like I plan to!).
3) No internal markings so no indication as to volumes

How much to add these missing components Mr Lard?
- Former owner of The Emsworth Brewhouse -
Now back to home brewing of a Braumeister 50L

mrlard

Post by mrlard » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:38 am

two posts.............. in as many days!!!!! whatever next............... #-o

1) No thermowell; surely mandatory for any kind of temp control

we aren't fans of thermowells so offer probes that can be mount to the lid or via a Triclamp tee piece.

2) No domed lid so zero headspace if you fill to the brim (like I plan to!).

The conical is bigger bodied so you can get the same amount in even allowing 2gal for head space - The lid has been kept flat to allow our cooling coils, temp probes etc to be retro fitted with minimal hassle 8) 8)

3) No internal markings so no indication as to volumes

We are still no coninvced but etched markings inside an FV. Intrigued to see how important this is to people?? Personally I have always worked off the boiler for this measurement. ( I am not saying this approached is right or wrong just my lazy asred way of brewing )

Maybe one for the future? :D
Last edited by mrlard on Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hambrook
Piss Artist

Post by hambrook » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:55 pm

Mr Lard ; nearly a frequent visitor :lol:

1) Thermowells in a fermenter give a great measurement on what is going on inside the fermentation without the risk of infection from a probe dropped into the wort. Could your £10 thermowell be fitted to the side? I do like the pictured T piece solution - but how much is that assembly including all parts?

2) I do accept that a flat lid gives you some temp control options; which SS Brewing do as a complete kit with thermal jacket - any such solution coming for your conical? http://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/f ... -chronical

3) Fluid measurement - I'm a Braumeister 50L user - I have a few notches on a centre pole and that's it; by the time you take all the hops, trub and immersion coil into consideration there's no accuracy as to knowing what wort quantity is in the boiler. Some kind of internal etchings, like in other Stainless Conicals would really help when measuring final volumes into the FV

Thanks for your rapid reply and don't be a stranger! [-X

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:27 pm

Blichmann also don't have thermowells in their conicals. On their website they state that they've experimented and found only a small difference between a temperature reading from a probe in the centre of the fermentation and one taped to the side of the conical behind some insulation.

Take from that what you will.

hambrook
Piss Artist

Post by hambrook » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:02 pm

Matt12398 wrote:Blichmann also don't have thermowells in their conicals. On their website they state that they've experimented and found only a small difference between a temperature reading from a probe in the centre of the fermentation and one taped to the side of the conical behind some insulation.

Take from that what you will.
Do Blichmann have etchings inside ? ;-)

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:13 am

Are the SS ones spun?
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)