INTRODUCING: Seymour Citra Dark

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: INTRODUCING: Seymour Citra Dark

Post by Manngold » Mon May 25, 2015 4:30 pm

Hi Seymour,

Just thought I would let you know that I put the Citra Gold on this morning. All went well, smells lovely in the FV. Will try to get a pick once the finished article is complete.

MG

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Mon May 25, 2015 6:45 pm

That's great, I hope you enjoy it!

Deebee
Even further under the Table

Post by Deebee » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:43 pm

Just bottled and kegged after 12 days dry hop.
Looking forwards to this.
Dave
Running for Childrens cancer in the Windsor Half marathon.
Please consider helping a good cause:)

seymour

Post by seymour » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:17 pm

Deebee wrote:Just bottled and kegged after 12 days dry hop.
Looking forwards to this.
Fantastic, can't wait to hear what you think of it. I just drank some delicious Anchor Brekle's Brown Ale today.
It's a 6% abv old-timey brown ale with all Citra hops, so somewhat similar to my own Citra Dark.

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:39 pm

Just had my first taste of the Citra Gold after two weeks in bottle and three in primary ferment.

Wow, what a brew! Very crisp, very hoppy, very moreish!

Might just crack open another.

seymour

Post by seymour » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:53 pm

Manngold wrote:Just had my first taste of the Citra Gold after two weeks in bottle and three in primary ferment.

Wow, what a brew! Very crisp, very hoppy, very moreish!

Might just crack open another.
So glad to hear it. Someday you might wanna dabble with the Dark Side of the Citra Force.

SMASH3R
Piss Artist

Post by SMASH3R » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:28 pm

Just brewed this beast and finished late last night to follow on from the Citra Gold that has spent three weeks in the fermenter. I bottled the Citra Gold too, and harvested the yeast from the bottom of the fermentor and repitched as soon as the Citra Dark was at temperature (this morning); if normal form is an indicator, it should be boosting along in 6-8 hours.

I didn't have any Progress hops available, but I did have some Northdown that needed to be used, so I popped those in for the 60 and 15 min additions. Both British hops, so probably not going to go too wrong. I also used up the Citra from the Citra Gold for the flame-out additions (don't want hops sitting about open for too long).

As an aside; before bottling the Citra Gold, I chilled to 4°C for the first time (normally I would leave at room temperature), and it made for a much cleaner bottling session, with little foaming during the syphoning.

rob-63

Post by rob-63 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:53 am

Brewed the Citra Dark on Friday. The gravity pre boil was spot on at 1.043, but I must have boiled a bit less vigourously than usual, as I collected almost 27 litres, instead of the 25 aimed for – resulting in a OG of 1.053 instead of the target 1.058.

This should give a final abv of around 5.4 instead of the 5.8 target.

The wort had quite a strong malty smell and taste… but looks good.

I pitched Wyeast British Ale 1335 from a 1.5L stepped starter which had been made up over a week previously and had been sitting in the fridge waiting! It seems to still have been fine as Saturday morning the airlock was bubbling away and a krausen forming.

This pic is 2 days into fermentation.

I will add 184g of Citra into this after fermentaion has completed and leave for a further 6-7 days. Still not decided if I will just throw in the hops or use some kind of bag.

Deebee

Post by Deebee » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:31 am

I just dumped in 185 of pellets.
Dave

rob-63

Post by rob-63 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:25 am

Deebee wrote:I just dumped in 185 of pellets.
I have leaf hops.

I've just knocked up a stainless steel mesh cage type of thing from some spare sheet I had laying around - so will stick them in that.

Deebee

Post by Deebee » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:00 pm

rob-63 wrote:
Deebee wrote:I just dumped in 185 of pellets.
I have leaf hops.

I've just knocked up a stainless steel mesh cage type of thing from some spare sheet I had laying around - so will stick them in that.
Some put them in a blender and whizz them.
Leaf hops suck up about 100ml pr 10 grams so you will lose a couple of litres
Dave

Bunglebrewsbeer
Hollow Legs

Post by Bunglebrewsbeer » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:15 pm

This looks a very interesting recipe. One to try for sure!!

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Fri May 13, 2016 11:06 am

Okay decided to bite the bullet on this one after eyeing it for ages :)
Seymour would you clarify what kind of rye malt it is that you mean in the recipe please, the Malt Miller alone lists chocolate, pale, crystal and roasted versions (I will probably make the malt order form him but have a BM and accessories on order from Get Er Brewed and Brew UK so can add it to either of those orders too - might as well get the right ingredients for the price of the brew!)?

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Fri May 13, 2016 2:40 pm

f00b4r wrote:Okay decided to bite the bullet on this one after eyeing it for ages :)
Seymour would you clarify what kind of rye malt it is that you mean in the recipe please, the Malt Miller alone lists chocolate, pale, crystal and roasted versions (I will probably make the malt order form him but have a BM and accessories on order from Get Er Brewed and Brew UK so can add it to either of those orders too - might as well get the right ingredients for the price of the brew!)?
Since posting I have seen Get Er Brewed stock Weyermann Rye base malt, although surprised that the other two suppliers do not seem to have this (unless it's just a naming thing).
Also any recommendation on water profile if using Graham's calculator on this forum?

seymour

Post by seymour » Sun May 15, 2016 2:06 am

f00b4r wrote:
f00b4r wrote:Okay decided to bite the bullet on this one after eyeing it for ages :)
Since posting I have seen Get Er Brewed stock Weyermann Rye base malt, although surprised that the other two suppliers do not seem to have this (unless it's just a naming thing).
Also any recommendation on water profile if using Graham's calculator on this forum?
I use pale rye malt, or simply flaked rye. All those others are great too, for other recipes.

I just use municipal St. Louis water, which is great straight from the faucet, thanks to Anheuser Busch supposedly. For that reason, I've never needed to become an expert on water treatment, but I would approach it similar to any brown ale.