Ducting Slope - Up or Down?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
hambrook
Piss Artist

Ducting Slope - Up or Down?

Post by hambrook » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:51 pm

After reading many post; I have now bought an RVK 100mm Extractor Fan (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251312893293) and a some 100mm Spiral Tube ducting from http://ductstore.co.uk. It will be connecting to the top of a Braumeister 50L domed lid with some flexible ducting at one end and the exhaust end is out through a garage wall. Total run is about 2 meters

My question is about the ducting run; should it exit the BM 50L via flexible ducting and :
1) SLOPE UP towards the fan then outside
OR
2) SLOPE DOWN towards the fan then outside

I have yet to find any metal condensate drain option for 100mm ducting, but have seen a condensate drain at micro breweries. Has anyone had any issues with contestation in ducting and how have they got rid of it.

och29
Piss Artist

Re: Ducting Slope - Up or Down?

Post by och29 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:40 pm

I used a similar setup for my 100L stockpot system. I ran the tubing up but even with a larger fan and insulated tubing I get terrible problems with condensation. Will have to look into condensate drains.
Drinking: AG#7 Final Sprint (APA), AG#8 Buckwheat Brett (Saison - Saison/Brett), AG#9 Helles Meister
Conditioning: -
Fermenting: Selection Pinot Grigio
Planning: Orange Blossom Mead, Mexican Honey Mead, Chocolate Stout

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:01 pm

A local micro, with a 6BBL boiler used ducting and has a condensate trap.

From memory there is a short length from boiler that's at a shallow angle down to a tee junction then a vertical run up from that to the roof.

Any condensate that runs down the vertical run goes down into the trap.

Maybe you could mimic with a T junction

boiler connected to side and then vent to the other side so condensate runs straight down

or even a Y junction like this one which may be better

With the boiler connected to the left top side of the Y and vent to the other side (at the top) and condensate at the bottom, no chance for condensate getting in the boiler.

Stainless would be nicer, and cope with steam better, but likely to be much more expensive
eg This one @ £25+del

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:12 pm

Following on from my last post, I just found a pic of the ducting from My Local Micro's Facebook page. (One discussed in the last post)

The ducting has short run up, then down at an angle to a bend.
You can't see but bend modified to have smaller diameter tube fitted from bottom to act as a condensate drain.