Bergland Thermos Pot / Thermopot Maximum Temperature.

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
minesapint
Piss Artist

Post by minesapint » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:52 pm

I have recently seen a couple of old posts asking if a thermopot can be used on induction hobs as a boiler.
One suggestion was to Weld on a mild steel plate to get it to work.
I didnt receive any information leaflet when I bought my Bergland thermopot, so I am at a bit of a loss.
I have a vague memory of a post that said they should only be used up to 80 degrees C.
This was before I had an interest in them and later decided to use one as a mash tun.
So I didn't take a great deal of notice at the time.
The figure of 80 degrees C caused a bit of a stir with me as it is around the temperature of my sparge liquor.

I have a feeling that the foam insulation will most likely be damaged at high temperatures ,
especially if the pot is used as a boiler and physically heated up to a boiling temperature of 100 degrees C.

Does anyone know the specifications for the maximum safe temperature for a Bergland thermos pot ?

I wont be using it as a boiler but some one may try after reading some older posts.

Cheers all.

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Bergland Thermos Pot / Thermopot Maximum Temperature.

Post by Wonkydonkey » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:53 pm

I don't know what threads/post you were reading, but I don't see how a thermo pot with 20-25mm of insulation can be used on an induction hob. Everything I've read was all about cutting holes and fitting heating elements to use them as insulated boilers. Or just used as a mash tun.

The stock pots are a different ( no insulation)

But let me know if I'm wrong,
To Busy To Add,

minesapint
Piss Artist

Post by minesapint » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:36 pm

Definitely saw two different contributors.
I wonder if they are mixing up their jargon and calling stock pots thermos pots and vice versa ?
Cheers.

Fastline
Hollow Legs

Post by Fastline » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:40 pm

I would think previous post was referring to stock pots (single skin of stainless steel, no insulation)

I would not think a thermopot would be suitable on an induction hob, might be possible if bottom skin and insulation was removed, but not really worth the effort.

Either source a suitable stock pot for use on induction hob or fit elements to thermo pot

The thermo pot with a couple of kettle elements would make a loverly boiler or hlt, one advantage to using a thermo as a boiler is the outer skin should be much cooler and so safer to work with, however a harder conversion.

minesapint
Piss Artist

Post by minesapint » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:31 pm

Possibly a good boiler if the foam insulation would stand the high temperature of boiling water.
I have no idea of the type of foam used in thermopots.
The temperature of 80 degrees C as a max rings a bell.
Very soon I am going to buy a Bergland Thermopot and convert it into a mash tun.
I will be making it into a bottom drainer so should have a fair sized chunk of insulating foam left over from the base to test with boiling water.
It may well be something like the fire stopping foam used in buildings to fill holes around pipes going through walls etc. .
Watch this space in a few weeks time for the results.
But in the mean time if any one knows the Bergland spec. it would be very interesting.
Cheers.

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:52 pm

You'd be fine if you use an immersion element within the thermopot, but I'm not sure you could use it on a hob at least afaik
as the hob itself will heat the insulation well above 100C.

minesapint
Piss Artist

Post by minesapint » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:53 pm

I have found one of the topics I mentioned.
There are four pages and some nice pics. of thermos pot boilers.
Posted by Matt12398 Friday 19th 2013.
Titled.............. Stockpot vs Thermopot Kettle.
A quick search of the equipment forum will find it.
People that have made stockpot boilers are darkonnis and chastuck in the same conversation.
So people are using them as boilers with elements , but it is the maximum recommended temperature that I am looking for.
Cheers again.

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:58 am

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60923

No mention of induction hobs from what I can see though.

It sounds like a big hassle IMO. If the grade of stainless used used in the pots will heat up on an induction hob then you're going to have to remove the base of the pot + the insulating foam and that's going to leave a mess. If the stainless won't heat up then you need to fit a metal plate on the inside which will, given the thinness of the steel in the pot base then presumably that will need some good welding skills. Wouldn't fitting electric elements as in the referenced thread be a better option ?
Dan!

minesapint
Piss Artist

Post by minesapint » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:31 pm

Hello Andy.
I only found one of a few posts that I had seen. One string of posts did mention putting mild steel plate on the bottom for induction hobs but I will take your word for it that this particular string of posts did not refer to induction hobs.

I think I may have waffled on a bit in my original post and people have got the wrong end of the stick.

What I am trying to find out is the maximum recommended temperature to use with a Bergland thermospot.

80 degrees centigrade rings a bell but I cannot find out.

I have visions of the foam insulating melting into a gooey, useless mess.

Maximum safe temperature for a Bergland thermos pot? :oops:

Cheers.

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:50 pm

Well, the foam in a Thermopot is a yellowish with a bit of green tinge, I would say it's the expandable once squirted in maybe fire retarded type. So unless it's some super-do-pa type polyuethane foam, but I'm guessing it's the normal as the pots are only meant to keep things hot (soup/drinks). But could also be used to keep drinks cold.

So the liquid will be about 100c, unless you was gonna cook chips in it.

I wonder what the msds says about PU,
Edit I have only just seen the msds for the canned stuf, but it says amongst other things, if it burns/decomposes your get some lovely gases for a quick asphyxiation. I can't see that once it's set it will be any different.
If I'm on the same type stuff IE, kingspan insulation boards, it's still PU ? Isn't it.
It says this, on this page:
http://images1.kingspanpanels.co.uk/fil ... _Sheet.pdf

7. Handling and storage
Store in original packing in a location free from any ignition hazard such as open flames, cutting and welding torches, high surface temperature electric heaters and other forms of direct radiant heat. Keep product protected from the elements. Ensure stability of stack and provide adequate aisle space for access between stacks.

And also this.
Auto-ignition: 630 degrees Celsius, estimated
Comment: This product does not exhibit a sharp melting point, but softens gradually over wide temperature range.
To Busy To Add,

Andy

Post by Andy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:19 pm

minesapint wrote:
Maximum safe temperature for a Bergland thermos pot? :oops:

Cheers.
Depends on how you're heating the thing I would imagine.

If you were to use induction and so rely upon heating up the metal skin to very high temperatures and the skin is in contact with foam insulation then I can see that being dangerous.

Whereas to add elements into the pot which are heating the liquid directly is a different situation completely and quite a few people are doing this already and using the thermoboxes as boilers (see the thread I linked to).
Dan!

ciderhead
Piss Artist

Post by ciderhead » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:26 pm

Guys you absolutely cannot apply any direct heat source to a Bergland thermopot either gas or induction. I have cut the base of 3 of them with dremels and angle grinders the foamed polyurethane does not like intense heat and God know why you would think that something that is there to insulate from heat would transfer through it to the vessel?!
It will go up to required hundred required for boiling and that's all we need.

minesapint
Piss Artist

Post by minesapint » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:55 pm

#-o Nothing to do with thermopots.

Andy posted at 10:19 pm today
Ciderhead posted at 10:26 pm today
and I am posting this at 09:53 pm today, according to my computers clock and two radio controlled clocks.

I think Jim forgot to put the clock back.
Does anyone know how to tell Jim his website is an hour out? #-o

Cheers all. :roll:

Goulders
Under the Table

Post by Goulders » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:57 pm

No, you need to allow for DST in your control panel

Andy

Post by Andy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:58 pm

Dan!