Bergland Thermos Pot / Thermopot Maximum Temperature.

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
minesapint
Piss Artist

Re: Bergland Thermos Pot / Thermopot Maximum Temperature.

Post by minesapint » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:04 pm

Thanks Andy UTC it is .
Apologies to Jim.

Cheeers

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:39 pm

fwiw i too have chopped a couple of thermopots, the insulating foam isnt fireproof, and will smoulder when hot enough cough cough..

however if the SS used isnt magnetic?? wouldnt dropping a copper disk, or magnetic SS disk into the bottom of the thermopot allow you to use it ontop of an induction hob? as your metal disk/s will induct and heat up inside the pot?
im guessing the induction field will extend beyond the insulated base of a thermopot,, however i dont know how stable a base the wafer thin base skin will support the mass.. my thermopots dont have flat base skins, they dome out somewhat with i guess the force from the foam expansion??

if it is magnetic SS used, (im too lazy to pop up to the brewshed atm to check..) then it too will induct energy and heat up if my laymans understanding is correct (probably isnt!!)

am just chewing the tuesday evening fat.. ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

brew like a dog

Post by brew like a dog » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:25 pm

I am about to convert a Bergland Thermopot. When drilling the hole for the half inch deck drain, do i use a 20mm or 21mm qmax punch?

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:29 am

brew like a dog wrote:I am about to convert a Bergland Thermopot. When drilling the hole for the half inch deck drain, do i use a 20mm or 21mm qmax punch?
either will do, I prefer 20mm as the 1/2" bsp threaded fittings are a nice snug auto centering fit, but due to varying tolerances you may get the odd fitting a tad too large for 20mm and will need threading through.

have fun cutting/sanding down the deck drain, i took mine down to just under 3 thread revolutions.. some lsx thread sealer makes a great film gasket between the pot skin and the deck fitting flange.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

brew like a dog

Post by brew like a dog » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:02 pm

Many thanks :) My deck drain tightens all the way up. I think brewbuilder sorted that one out. I was planning on using a thin smear of silicone food grade sealant but to be honest, i am hoping for a tight fit anyhow. I am just going to take my time, there is no rush. Hopefully, i will have my new mash tun up and running in due course :)