could this be Doombar

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Re: could this be Doombar

Post by Rookie » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:49 pm

dazer23866 wrote:
IMG_0025 (2).JPG

i fermented for 4 days at 20c then racked to corny dry hopped with 20 grams of Aroura (no gas ) then back for 5 days at 20c then 13c to serve
as you can see this is as close to cask ale as you can get and taste pretty darn good
Hot dang, that sure looks pretty. =D>
I'm just here for the beer.

Notlaw
Piss Artist

Post by Notlaw » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:48 pm

Did you change anything, or is that initial recipe what you ended up sticking to?

Any idea what commercial yeast could be used to get something close?

dazer23866
Piss Artist

Post by dazer23866 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:29 pm

i have been asked to update this post on my final recipe
the only thing i did different was cut the late hops down by around half. The yeast i used second time around was wlp007 couldn't tell the difference from that to the original Doombar yeast hope this helps

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by FUBAR » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:45 pm

Surely I'm not the only one that finds doombar bland tasteless p@ss and in the same league as john smiths, I have tried this bottled from a shop and from the cask in 3 different bars and all have been like drinking water, the worst being from wetherspoons which was served from the cask bloody nigh on ice cold :shock: [-X [-X . I cant believe that the recipe on this thread is the same as Coors are brewing and what the hell they are drinking in the video,certainly not the rubbish that I have tried if you can believe their comments. I have a few family and friends that love the stuff, but there again they all like fosters and john smoths :roll:.
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:19 am

FUBAR wrote:Surely I'm not the only one that finds doombar bland tasteless p@ss and in the same league as john smiths, I have tried this bottled from a shop and from the cask in 3 different bars and all have been like drinking water, the worst being from wetherspoons which was served from the cask bloody nigh on ice cold :shock: [-X [-X . I cant believe that the recipe on this thread is the same as Coors are brewing and what the hell they are drinking in the video,certainly not the rubbish that I have tried if you can believe their comments. I have a few family and friends that love the stuff, but there again they all like fosters and john smoths :roll:.
Ahem... :lol:
Pinto wrote:I see no tramp urine so you wont get that thin, bland tastelessness you tolerate when John Smith's is the only other pump in the bar :lol:
Like you, I find it bland and watery - no hopping flavour, no bitterness either - I have wondered if Doombar was the result of the head brewer, having tried far too much of his own homebrew the night before, ran 200BBL through the plant and into the fermenter before realising he'd forgot to add any hops.

"damn it" said the Accountant - " Bottle it and send it out anyway.... someone might like it" :lol:
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

Good Ed
Steady Drinker

Post by Good Ed » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:55 am

Also discussed by Martyn Cornell it's another Carling imo

In defence of the OP, your beer will be a lot better

WhiteWater

Post by WhiteWater » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:08 pm

Brewed this today. Started early and misread the amount of roasted barley as 207gr. End result was very dark so was going to post that maybe the stated amount is a tad high and then reread the recipe :oops: :cry:

Any idea if this will be drinkable? Should I dry hop it and pretends its a dipa? Shame as I used my home grown Northern Brewer hops for the first time and was quite excited...

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:34 pm

It'll be more like a porter/stout with that amount, certainly some roasty notes. It should still be a tasty beer imo, albeit nothing like doombar :) so don't worry too much and just put it down to experience