leffe brun

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Re: leffe brun

Post by Pinto » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:53 pm

Barley Water wrote: Since I could care less about making a clone I'll likely throw some jaggery in the copper; it will add sort of a smooth buttery flavor which I rather fancy (see how I did that? Pretty good for a Texan right?). :D
Never heard of Jaggery before - I think Im going to have to find some tho - sounds like it would be fab in a number of brews ! :D
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

Barley Water
Under the Table

Post by Barley Water » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:47 pm

Check out the local Indian grocery stores, that's where I get mine from here in Texas. While you are at it, they also have primo choriander for making wits and spicing other Belgian brews (you can throw a little in a Triple or I guess whatever you want).
Drinking:Saison (in bottles), Belgian Dubbel (in bottles), Oud Bruin (in bottles), Olde Ale (in bottles),
Abbey Triple (in bottles), Munich Helles, Best Bitter (TT Landlord clone), English IPA
Conditioning: Traditional bock bier, CAP
Fermenting: Munich Dunkel
Next up: Bitter (London Pride like), ESB
So many beers to make, so little time (and cold storage space)

Bazz
Piss Artist

Post by Bazz » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:06 pm

Pinto - Jaggery is pretty widely available in here in the UK, also sold as palm sugar, try the "World foods" aisles of larger supermarkets or smaller ethnic grocers if you have one near you, and if you do take the opportunity to stock up on spices, big bags for the price of one of those silly supermarket jars, and so much better.

SMASH3R
Piss Artist

Post by SMASH3R » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:47 pm

I want to have a go at a Leffe Brune at the weekend with the WPL530 yeast that is currently finishing off my Leffe Blonde attempt.

There was a bit of an attempt at creating a recipe at the start of this thread, but the it got bogged down about the whys and wherefores of using Special B. Can anyone help expand with quantities? I was thinking something like:

22 litres of wort collected for fermentation
3,000g of Maris Otter
2,000g Wheat Malt (just because I have wheat malt to use up)
400g Belgian Aromatic Malt
400g Special B
100g Carafa 3 (to get to a little over 20 SRM, which I hope is about right for this brew), although I have all of the dark malts available.
hop to 25 IBUs at beginning of boil (I'm not really fussed which hops I have available, they will all make a good beer).

600g of Belgian Candi sugar a couple of days in to fermentation to take target ABV to 6.6%
O.G. 1.060 (equivalent after candi sugar)
F.G. 1.010

Ferment at 23-24°C for two weeks.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:04 am

This is supposedly the real recipe, not a clone:

Leffe Brun/Brown/Bruin/Brune
Brewery: AB-InBev/Abbaye de Leffe S.A. (Abbey brewery founded 1152, commercial production 1952-present) in Dinant, Belgium
Style: Belgian Dubbel
OG: 1066
ABV: 6.5%
Grainbill: 71.1% Belgian Pilsener Malt, 17.8% Corn Sugar, 6.7% Aromatic/Biscuit Malt, 4.4% Roasted Barley
Early hops: Hallertau
Late hops: Saaz
IBU: 30.5
Colour: dark brown
Yeast: proprietary AB-Inbev-Leffe yeast, originally a German Weizen yeast, but Wyeast 3463 at cool temp is similar

duncans

Post by duncans » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:28 am

PhilB wrote:Hi Seymour

I'm not questioning your research here, but ...
seymour wrote:Grainbill: 71.1% Belgian Pilsener Malt, 17.8% Corn Sugar, 6.7% Belgian Aromatic/Biscuit Malt, 4.4% Roasted Barley
... wot no Special B ? Image

So why does Special B smell so much like Leffe Brun then?

Cheers, PhilB
Yeah, special b seems right.

Here's a Belgian recipe for a dubbel, if not leffe...
http://www.castlemalting.com/CastleMalt ... cipeID=160

Might make a better beer anyway :).

SMASH3R
Piss Artist

Post by SMASH3R » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:56 am

Didn't have as much Dingemans Special B as I thought, so yesterday I've ended up with this:

23 litres of wort collected for fermentation
3,000g of Maris Otter
2,000g Wheat Malt
400g Belgian Aromatic Malt
272g Special B
100g Carafa 3 (to get to a little over 20 SRM); colour looks spot on

Hop to 25 IBUs at beginning of boil with NZ Wakatu 6.6% alpha.

O.G. 1.052
F.G. 1.008 (estimate from my Leffe Blonde attempt bottled yesterday using same yeast)

Need 480g of Belgian Candi sugar a couple of days in to fermentation to take target ABV to 6.6%
O.G. 1.060 (equivalent after candi sugar)

Ferment at 23-24°C for two weeks.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:39 pm

seymour wrote:
SHIELDS EXILE wrote:Has anyone got a recipe for this great Belgian beer, Icant buy any in Australia,but found some in a bar on New Caledonia it was expensive there though...has anyone brewed any?
I like that beer a lot too, even though it's really just another mass-produced counterfeit of its former self. Still damn tasty though. Here you go:
SHIELDS EXILE wrote:...I got agood recipe from someone on Jims, two years ago for Pelforths Brun...
Yeah, I think that was me. Cheers again! Don't wait another two years.

Leffe Bruin
Brewery: Abbaye de Leffe S.A. in Dinant, Belgium (Abbey brewery founded 1152, commercial production 1952-present, now owned by AB-InBev)
Style: Belgian Dubbel
OG: 1066
ABV: 6.5%
Grainbill: 71.1% Belgian Pilsener Malt, 17.8% Corn Sugar, 6.7% Belgian Aromatic/Biscuit Malt, 4.4% Roasted Barley
Early hops: Hallertau
Late hops: Saaz
IBU: 31
Yeast: Proprietary AB-Inbev-Leffe yeast. Originally a German Weizen yeast, but Wyeast 3463 at cool temp is similar.
Colour: dark brown

P.S. I watched a really cool old French film noir called "Ascenseur Pour L'Echafaud" (Elevator To The Scaffold) with a killer early Miles Davis jazz improvisational soundtrack. Anyway, in one scene the main characters sit at a table outside a cafe, under a Leffe umbrella. Dig it, man. You can't make shit like that up.
The recipe that Shields. Exile used for Pelforth Brune was mine he sent me a PM thanking me.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:51 pm

So sorry, and I stand corrected. Credit where cedit's due. IPA's clone recipe, not mine.

Zver
Tippler

Post by Zver » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:42 am

Sorry for necroposting, does anyone tried @seymour recipe? I used 'most common' recipe with Brown Malt and was disappointed with resuilts. Not a Leffe Brune taste...

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:24 pm

Zver wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:42 am
Sorry for necroposting, does anyone tried @seymour recipe? I used 'most common' recipe with Brown Malt and was disappointed with resuilts. Not a Leffe Brune taste...
I don't have a Leffe recipe but my recipe for Pelforth Brune received good reports. In blind tastings it was said to be the better of the two.

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster

Zver
Tippler

Post by Zver » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:10 am

Better than original?

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:33 am

Zver wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:10 am
Better than original?
Yes.
Not my verdict but that of others who took part more than once in blind tastings.j

Alone we travel faster

Zver
Tippler

Post by Zver » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:47 pm

Can you share your recipe please?

sandimas
Steady Drinker

Post by sandimas » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:17 pm

I'd love to see the recipe for Pelforth Brune too, one of my favourite continental beers