BM Centre Rod Whirlpool attachment

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

BM Centre Rod Whirlpool attachment

Post by Rhodesy » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:29 am

Does anyone have one of these from Bac Brewing? I have taken the hit and ordered one which on ordering yesterday (Sunday) was dispatched this afternoon and hopefully with me tomorrow, as usual a 1st class service. I took it with the drill attachment to control it. Was just wondering if anyone on here has used one of these specifically designed for the BM? I already have the springer filter and custom filter plates. Word of warning that the postage is more on this tool than for other parts at around 33 EUR. Had a nice bonus in work so upgrading a few parts here and there.

http://www.bacbrewing.com/epages/990497 ... M20-50.001

Fingers crossed I could be brewing tomorrow, if so will try it out and post a review.

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: BM Centre Rod Whirlpool attachment

Post by barneey » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:01 pm

I already have one but went for the hand power option, for a start they can be used when mashing in, it makes the process easier. As for the whirlpool it will produce one with plain water, I however at the moment use leaf so have not tested with pellet to produce a cone. Also useful if you use an IC.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:21 pm

Thanks Barneey, I never thought of using it for mashing in! I am more or less solely pellet these days so hope to give it a go tomorrow.

barneey

Post by barneey » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:31 pm

Rhodesy wrote:Thanks Barneey, I never thought of using it for mashing in! I am more or less solely pellet these days so hope to give it a go tomorrow.
How are you getting on with the springer filter, I HAVE to use a pump with mine to get a reasonable flow, gravity takes an age. BTW how do you cool?

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:58 pm

barneey wrote:
Rhodesy wrote:Thanks Barneey, I never thought of using it for mashing in! I am more or less solely pellet these days so hope to give it a go tomorrow.
How are you getting on with the springer filter, I HAVE to use a pump with mine to get a reasonable flow, gravity takes an age. BTW how do you cool?
Getting on fine, I have used solely pellets up to around the 250g mark in a 23L final volume brew. The whirlpool element was key and also making sure the BM was dead centre as my old workbench leaned slightly north which on one occasion meant the pellets sat over the filter more and slowed things down. I have since bought a SS table to rest it on and hope that this new tool gets more of it into the centre as my manual efforts are likely not the best.

I now chill by IC, I used to use a plate chiller and did so on my first couple of brews but back to an IC it is. I have found with the springer filter that gravity for me works best with the BM around 4 ft higher than the FV. On using the pump it sucked the trub and hob debris in too much though I maybe did throttle it too much to begin with going a bit gung ho. I haven't used it with leaf so unable to compare flow rates.

One final question on the whirlpool paddle, do you just leave the silicone washer on all the time through the boil etc?

barneey

Post by barneey » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:17 pm

I use mine with the BreadMaker build so slightly different to the BM.

I assume the silicone piece is either a clearance device or to stop it marking the bottom?

I use mine without / I dont really see the need for it but as mentioned am yet to use with pellets, you can slide the paddle up and down to get the required height.

Before you go all in, I would use it with just hand power to see how you get on, although I have never used (or own) the power attachment I think its very much over kill.

Be interested to see how you get on.

As for silicone it will be OK left in the boiler.

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:20 pm

Yeah its a spacer to help avoid marking the bottom, I think it can just slide down when I put it in to whirlpool so should be ok. I took the drill attachment as I hope I can maybe use this to aerate wort also. I'll just make sure to go in mega slow and try and find a rhythm from there.

barneey

Post by barneey » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:17 pm

barneey wrote:
Just thought I would mention that I had the mother of all brewday cooling's this week, managed to get 10l stuck in the boiler, I expect the spring is to blame so am now unsure of future use of flowers with pump & spring.