British Wheat Ale?

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Fingar

British Wheat Ale?

Post by Fingar » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:51 pm

Hi Folks,

Well, I have brewed German and American wheat ale and have yet to try brewing a Belgian style wheat, so was wondering what about a British... actually, in this instance I mean English or to be more specific, Yorkshire Wheat Ale... ok, just English Wheat will do. Would a wheat, style, hazy ale with English hops and yeast work?

Cheers

Fingar

Oswald Bastable

Re: British Wheat Ale?

Post by Oswald Bastable » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:53 pm

Hmmm, now that sounds like an experiment worth trying!

I make a 'British' Wit with 50% wheat malt, 35% uk lager malt and 15% MO, bittered and flavoured to standard Wit levels with a British hop (Pioneer), but don't use a British yeast (Fermentis T58) and flavour with coriander and fresh lemon peel. It's a very nice brew.

I think I might brew this again in the next few weeks and take 4 litres out at the end of the boil, forgo the coriander and lemon, and ferment out with Nottingham or Windsor. Leaning towards Windsor to add a little more British character.

Perhaps we can have a brew off? :)

OB

PhilB
Piss Artist

Post by PhilB » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:22 am

Hi Fingar

If you have the Szamatulskis' Clone Brews book there is a recipe for a Dark Wheat Beer by Salopian Brewing Company called "Answer" ... now, I must admit that I never tasted the original (and I believe Salopian discontinued it quite some time ago) but I have made a version and really enjoyed it :? ... it came out much more like a Best Bitter/ESB, with a rich (wheaty) mouth feel, rather than a Wheat Beer as such, but maybe that's the sort of "British Wheat Ale" you're thinking of :?

If you don't have the Clone Brews book, the vital statistics go ...
52% Pale Malt
45% Wheat Malt
2.6% Crystal Malt
0.4% Black Malt (it's something like 15g ... just enough to get the colour right (9 SRM, 18 EBC) probably)
OG:1.049
... and ...
13 EBU from Goldings full boil
4 EBU from Cascade and
3 EBU from Goldings last 15 mins
1 EBU from Hallertauer Hersbrucker last 5 mins
... yeast recommendations are Wyeast 1099 or 1098

Cheers, PhilB

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:10 am

I haven't used British wheat in a wheat beer yet, but I'd say the yeast (and temperature) is king. I have tried a couple of wits and weisses with and un-wheaty yeast and they were really plain.

Hops - you just want a little touch of noble herbalness in my view, but at just 10-15 IBUs or so, it's not such a factor. I imagine some EKG would work fine.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:13 pm

Fingar wrote:Hi Folks,

Well, I have brewed German and American wheat ale and have yet to try brewing a Belgian style wheat, so was wondering what about a British... actually, in this instance I mean English or to be more specific, Yorkshire Wheat Ale... ok, just English Wheat will do. Would a wheat, style, hazy ale with English hops and yeast work?

Cheers

Fingar
There's no reason that it shouldn't.
I'm just here for the beer.