Patersbier is on!

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
GarethHW

Patersbier is on!

Post by GarethHW » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:57 am

So my first JBK brew day, a Patersbier, based on GH's recipe, with some cheeky tettnang instead of hallertauer. No idea why.

Anyway, it's a simple recipe, I'm doing 15L. Getting up to boil as I type.

Grain
3000g Pilsner

Hops
30g saaz @ 60m
25g tettnang @ 10m

Bit of Irish moss
Wyeast 3787 Trappist high gravity

Mashed at 65c as I want this to be dry and crisp.

Will add ibu, Gravity etc when I'm done

Being cockily confident i stormed into the day at 8am and got me mash on. The confidence was obviously misplaced as I forgot my water treatment. Doh. Added about 10ml Ams and 15g dwb or whatever it's called to my rock hard water, in the mash. Should be OK as I'm doing biab.

Anyway, did a quick vorlauf, then a light sparge. Got 19L wort so should hit my 15 into fv. Only time will tell if I hit og.

Contemplated having a boddies while the boil is on then remembered it's still morning. Nuts.

More to follow, plus a pic or two perhaps.

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Patersbier is on!

Post by Pinto » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:26 pm

and in two weeks, a lovely cake to get that Tripple on ;)

Sounds like a nice pint already tho
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

GarethHW

Post by GarethHW » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:33 pm

Pinto wrote:and in two weeks, a lovely cake to get that Tripple on ;)

Sounds like a nice pint already tho
Ha! Tripels would kill me. I steer clear of anything over 5% abv as I'm a massive lightweight. Runs in the family.

Not sure if I'll get many more brews done before summer. I've got about eight recipes lined up but will probably pack up til early autumn after this. Might do a few small stovetop batches to use up some hops.

Halfway through my boil now. Chiller is waiting patiently before being kicked into action!

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:45 pm

Don't chuck that yeast away, use it again!

Notlaw
Piss Artist

Post by Notlaw » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:51 pm

What sort of pilsner malt are you using? I assumed pilsner malt would be "foreign", but the guy in my LHBS said that is not uncommon for pilsner malt to be British lager malt. Maybe there's no difference, so this post is pointless... What am I saying?

Where's it from?

GarethHW

Post by GarethHW » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:06 pm

Notlaw wrote:What sort of pilsner malt are you using? I assumed pilsner malt would be "foreign", but the guy in my LHBS said that is not uncommon for pilsner malt to be British lager malt. Maybe there's no difference, so this post is pointless... What am I saying?

Where's it from?
It's German Weyerman, got it from brewuk. So yes 'foreign'!

Notlaw
Piss Artist

Post by Notlaw » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:10 pm

GarethHW wrote:
Notlaw wrote:What sort of pilsner malt are you using? I assumed pilsner malt would be "foreign", but the guy in my LHBS said that is not uncommon for pilsner malt to be British lager malt. Maybe there's no difference, so this post is pointless... What am I saying?

Where's it from?
It's German Weyerman, got it from brewuk. So yes 'foreign'!
Cool beans. I'm just reading the recipe in the GH book myself. Sounds decent actually, pretty simple too. Could be a one for barbecues I reckon.

GarethHW

Post by GarethHW » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:53 pm

All in the fv now. I was below volume at 14L and above target og at 1050, so topped up to 15L and 1046. Spot on recipe.

Think I need to adjust my boil off rate in biabcalculator as that's the second time that has happened.

The yeast was pretty funky right out of the packet. The smack pack didn't swell much but was well within date so not too concerned. Didn't do a starter as it was only 15L.

It will stink of sulphur apparently so looking forward to the complaints from the wife and kids when it get going...keeping it on the cool side to start with as don't want it going too spicy on me.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:15 pm

That's a beer I've never done. I believe in simplicity though, few but nice ingredients, I bet it will be good.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:43 pm

GarethHW wrote:
Contemplated having a boddies while the boil is on then remembered it's still morning. Nuts.
Gar,
A pint of Boddies in the morning is Bloody Lovely Mun! :D

WA

[quote="Pinto a lovely cake to get that Tripple on ;)

[/quote]

Triple

WA

BenB

Post by BenB » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:16 pm

The GH patersbier is a cracking pint. Although I kept faithful to the recipe.... would ferment at 23 next time.

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:05 am

WalesAles wrote:
Pinto wrote: a lovely cake to get that Tripple on ;)
Triple

WA
Or even Tripel. Opinion is divided.....;)
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

Chug

Post by Chug » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:26 am

Where's it from?
I used some Irish pilsner malt, don't know if you call that foreign, couldn't find any british pilsner, only british lager malt as you said.

GarethHW

Post by GarethHW » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:18 am

No action from this yet this morning, slightly wishing I had made a starter, but I haven't had issues with wyeast smack packs before. Hoping it gets going by the end of the day or I'll be in a pickle.

Notlaw
Piss Artist

Post by Notlaw » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:08 am

Chug wrote:I used some Irish pilsner malt, don't know if you call that foreign, couldn't find any british pilsner, only british lager malt as you said.
If I used Irish pilsner malt, I'd be worried it would end up tasting like Harp :out