Making bread with left over yeast

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Redimpz
Hollow Legs

Making bread with left over yeast

Post by Redimpz » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:38 pm

This is using the yeast slurry that is left after fermenting a brew, has anyone tried doing this? I feel that it should be ok but not totally sure. I would probably add the yeast to the rest of the liquid and knead it in. Proving etc would be the same as usual.
Probably the wrong forum.

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Making bread with left over yeast

Post by Matt in Birdham » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:56 pm

I think the yeast itself would be fine, and by all accounts you can produce nice bread with beer yeast. My concern would be that if there was any hop matter in there at all, then the bread would be very unpleasantly bitter (have you ever eaten a bit of hop pellet?). If you filtered, or you use whole hops, then you should be OK. Be keen to hear how you get on, as I do a bit of baking myself.

Chug

Post by Chug » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:27 pm

Early baking was done with ale yeast, or Barm, later bakers washed their yeast to remove any flavour of beer, yeast specifically for bread is a relatively modern invention, and dried yeast even more so....can you tell I recently read a book by Elizabeth David all about English bread and yeast cookery!

I keep meaning to try it myself as I make flour at our watermill and bake regularly but I just get into the mode and its done before I remember

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:29 am

I know a guy that does sour dough from his., the only thing is its a bit slow but the flavour is good if you like sour type bread. I think bakers just refined /selected the quicker yeasts . But if you have a brew just done why waste it,

But I don't think we will be making marmite just yet....
To Busy To Add,

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:47 am

Notlaw
Piss Artist

Post by Notlaw » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:10 am

I've been pondering this myself, but haven't done any Googling on the subject.

If you were to use some of the trub from your fermentation, how much would you use for a decent sized loaf.

I'd like to cook a beef in ale stew using my ale, served with bread made using the yeast and some spent grain from a brew. My missus would love that value for money.!

Halfacrem
Steady Drinker

Post by Halfacrem » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:52 pm

I've not tried this, but I've home baked for quite a while. If I were to do it, I'd build up a starter first of all. Google 'making bread with beer trub' to get some ideas.

You could also use a conditioned bottle of your homebrew and make a barm. Google "Dan Lepard's Barm bread", which uses a bottle conditioned beer for fermentation.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:22 pm

Halfacrem wrote:I've not tried this, but I've home baked for quite a while. If I were to do it, I'd build up a starter first of all. Google 'making bread with beer trub' to get some ideas.

You could also use a conditioned bottle of your homebrew and make a barm. Google "Dan Lepard's Barm bread", which uses a bottle conditioned beer for fermentation.
I've never used ale yeast in bread either. I have rehydrated baking yeast though! Keen to try some left over ale yeast.

Redimpz
Hollow Legs

Post by Redimpz » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:21 am

I tried this out yesterday. I used a splurge of leftover yeast from a bitter recipe. The yeast was GV-12 from Boyes. As the yeast is in a liquid form the dough requires a bit less water than usual. Proving took a bit longer than usual though this was maybe due to the fact that the yeast came straight out of the fridge.
After proving and shaping the dough took about the same time to rise enough to bake, baking took the same time as usual.
Results are very good. The bread baked well and is tasty.
I'll be doing this again.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:54 am

I did a bit of reading. Some people trying it out reported very bitter bread they couldn't eat. The best advice seems to be to make a sour dough style starter with flour and trub and a little water. And top cropped yeast (barm?) is probably better than trub, and is what bakers used prior to baking yeast being developed. This looks like a good method, I'll try this:

http://www.geeksonfood.com/how_5745588_ ... -trub.html

And this:

https://breadcakesandale.wordpress.com/ ... arm-bread/

Chug

Post by Chug » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:01 am

I've got a loaf cooling from the oven for today's lunch that I used some rebellion brewery yeast and left it to raise in the fridge overnight. It looks and smells great.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:15 am

Redimpz wrote: Proving took a bit longer than usual though this was maybe due to the fact that the yeast came straight out of the fridge.
Could it also be because the yeast had too little sugar to feed on, it would have gone dormant for that reason as well as the cool environment it came from?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

AdamR

Post by AdamR » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:40 am

I've done it a few times, back when I was still doing beer kits.
I only made pizza basses with the dough (I have never had success with a loaf of any kind, with any kind of yeast) and would prove the dough for a day in the fridge.
I found brown ale and wholemeal flour was the best flavour combo.
I've sometimes even used the beer in leu of water and that was good though anything hoppy just tastes wrong IMHO.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:00 pm

I'm going to make up a starter and give this a go, I've got some spent grains I dried out too.

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:54 pm

Stir a tsp into 150g flour and 150g water. It will ferment up like a sourdough starter in a day or so. Use that. No beer flavours.

I've done it with s05 slurry. Bread had look and texture of sourdough but no sourness. I prefer sourness. However, if you keep feeding it, it will be come sour after a week or so.

I've been 'milling' barley in my spice grinder and using the barley flour in breads. So nice. Lots of variety too. Planning on adding 30g of dark crystal flour to my next loaf.