brew fridge

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

brew fridge

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:42 pm

Is there any step by step information on converting a small fridge into a fermentation cupboard?

ManseMasher

Re: brew fridge

Post by ManseMasher » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:54 pm

Do you want to use the fridge itself as the chamber, or use it as the cooling unit for a bigger cabinet?

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:58 pm

1) remove shelves and salad box
2)clean the crap out of it
3)build a wooden shelve to put fermenter on
4)buy an inkbird 308
5) get a heat source I use a 25w ceramic heat bulb
6) feed the probe cable and heater cable thru drainage hole
7)place beer in fridge tape probe to side of fv

Couldn't be easier

gobuchul

Post by gobuchul » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:01 pm

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:38 pm

Excellent cheers i intend to use the fridge itself as the chamber, i want it to go in the garage that gets pretty hot during summer and cold cold cold in winter, so need something to heat and chill accordingly, is this doable? (going to check those links now gobuchal)

sbond10, its as easy as that?

ManseMasher

Post by ManseMasher » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:51 pm

It can be as simple as that! Or you can make it as difficult as you like really! I have both the stc1000 and the ITC308. If you want it simple, then the ITC is the way ahead - it really is pretty much 'plug and play'. What will be the limiting factor is the size of your fridge, and how much you can subsequently get in it. A decent supported shelf (mine sits on a wooden frame) to take the weight of a full fv is pretty important. Some folk butcher the inside of the door to make more internal space. As I said, it can be as easy or as difficult as you want it to be.

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:13 pm

Cheers MM, its going to be for one fermenter at a time, and i'm going for the easiest option.....

sbond10
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:27 pm

I'm awful at diy and I managed it hooray for inkbird filling a gap in the market. I don't think I'd of bothered if I had to wire up an st1000 anything electrical I'm hopeless at. The only wiring I had to do was for the ceramic heat lamp. Which was simply 2 wires

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:51 am

Try to get one without the little icebox at the top, takes up too much room and isn't needed.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

gobuchul

Post by gobuchul » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:05 am

i want it to go in the garage that gets pretty hot during summer and cold cold cold in winter, so need something to heat and chill accordingly, is this doable?
It should be. Once the wort is at the set temperature it is very thermally stable and a fridge is very well insulated, just don't open the door very often. The fridge or heater rarely kick in.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:54 am

Peatbogbrewer wrote:Excellent cheers i intend to use the fridge itself as the chamber, i want it to go in the garage that gets pretty hot during summer and cold cold cold in winter, so need something to heat and chill accordingly, is this doable? (going to check those links now gobuchal)

sbond10, its as easy as that?
Won't be a problem in the garage. Mine is outdoors in a log shed, and goes down to -1 or up to 30c+ easily.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:57 am

Yep I tested my fridge over weekend and once it got within a set temp it stayed there.
If you tape the probe to the outside of the fv don't forget the plastic acts as an insulator. I was out by a degree or so but this test was with water, wort is thicker and I'd say was moving around when the yeast was active giving off an exothermic reaction I think.

Can someone confirm this who has actually used one with wort ?

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:25 pm

sbond10 wrote:Yep I tested my fridge over weekend and once it got within a set temp it stayed there.
If you tape the probe to the outside of the fv don't forget the plastic acts as an insulator. I was out by a degree or so but this test was with water, wort is thicker and I'd say was moving around when the yeast was active giving off an exothermic reaction I think.

Can someone confirm this who has actually used one with wort ?
It is a good idea to calibrate the STC or equivalent to your thermometer so you can check its consistency.Once you get a brew underway set the hysteresis of the STC to say .5 of a degree then check on consecutive days and see how it agrees with your thermometer, if it is consistently out by x degrees adjust the setting on the STC, you might find it is so close you don't bother.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:43 pm

sbond10 wrote:I'm awful at diy and I managed it hooray for inkbird filling a gap in the market. I don't think I'd of bothered if I had to wire up an st1000 anything electrical I'm hopeless at. The only wiring I had to do was for the ceramic heat lamp. Which was simply 2 wires
Ditto with DIY too so the inkbird way looks most likely, glad to hear it should do the job, i live quite high up so our seasonal variation in temp can be as low as -10 and 27 degs....

lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by lord groan » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:30 pm

not sure about step by step but this is my fermentation fridge build, hope it helps!
lg
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=70276