100c High Powered Pump

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

100c High Powered Pump

Post by floydmeddler » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:35 am

Hey folks,

I'm in need of a high powered pump that can hack 100c. I'll use it to pump wort through a counterflow chiller with around 3m of hosing after that. So... needs to have a bit of power.

I'm currently using my Totton. However, it's only good for 85C so it's a sweat. What are my options? March pumps are EXPENSIVE. Any point in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

Maybe you have one to sell?? :D :D :D

Cheers
Floyd

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: 100c High Powered Pump

Post by barneey » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:42 am

If you want a mains powered item IMO you cant go to far wrong with a chugger pump, very easy to clean as well, very similar to the March ones in design.

The pump impeller can also be removed easily for inspection.

Recently as an experiment a few of us took our chugger pumps apart for inspection /to see how effective our cleaning had been after months / year of use.

Here's mine on opening

Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by lord groan » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:28 am

I imagine you've already thought of it but you could put the pump on the chiller output, the wort should be down to a very manageable temp by then?

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:33 am

Looks good. Cheers for the recommendation. I'd happily use a Chugger pump. Pretty pricey, though. Fancy selling me one of yours? :-)

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:34 am

lord groan wrote:I imagine you've already thought of it but you could put the pump on the chiller output, the wort should be down to a very manageable temp by then?
Have tried. Loses all power and pump goes into stress mode. :-(

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:13 pm

These mag driven pumps don't like to suck, restriction on the inlet side can cause lots of cavitation. You are right to use it to push through the chiller instead of pull, though as you say temperature is then a problem for that totton. Its necessary to cool the wort a bit (say with an IC or just waiting/stirring) first. Do-able but unless you wanted an 80C steep its an extra step, and it also means you can't sanitise with boiling wort

I went down a very similar path, starting with the same pump and upgrading for the same reason. I wasted lots of money on inferior cheaper alternatives before ending up with the march 815 which is almost identical to the chuggers that are around now for slightly less money (so probably a better bet). They are overpriced IMO, as they are nothing special really, but on the other hand they are well made and above all they just work; if I had realised initially and stumped up the cash it would have saved me quite a bit of money and aggro in the long run.

There are some newer low voltage types around that look promising, mr lard/brew builder does some. I'm reluctant as it seems like going back down the road of relatively unproven pumps yet again, but I may try one at some point just because some models are near silent and I soon want to recirculate in a small flat with thin walls. In terms of performance though, I have no reason to change.
Kev

wally
Steady Drinker

Post by wally » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:29 pm

Floyd, how about something like this http://kegking.com.au/mkii-high-tempera ... 1-amp.html. (Please note I have no affiliation with this company).

There are plenty of people in OZ using these with good results. They also have a stainless steel head option, if you are into "bling". They end up much cheaper than a March or Chugger with similar specs, but I,m not sure how much shipping would be to the other side of the world.

Cheers,

Wally

barneey

Post by barneey » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:13 pm

floydmeddler wrote:
lord groan wrote:I imagine you've already thought of it but you could put the pump on the chiller output, the wort should be down to a very manageable temp by then?
Have tried. Loses all power and pump goes into stress mode. :-(
With my BIG 3V setup, the 120l with the external filter, the chugger will even pull the hops out the boiler into the filter & then pushes the wort through the cooler so quite a powerful pump.

The only downside is you might have to throttle the pump after the chiller so it doesn't pump too fast, a simple ballvalve will do.

Approx 2 and half years ago using the pump pictured above I also did a test on the chugger and recirculated boiling hot wort for over an hour & half (just for a test), the pump is IMO bomb proof.

So don't run them dry, clean after use (I use a PBW recirc on all the equipment used on brewing day so the pump is used to recirc the cleaning solution around) & a quick rinse with clean hot water. It should last you for many years.

MrL sells the chuggers but also the lower voltage TD5 - SS Mag Pump 20l I believe, although have never tested one myself these are also a good pump, the impeller however is held on with a oneway clip so I don't know how easy it is to inspect behind.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

Fil

Post by Fil » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:50 pm

I have a couple of redundant pumps that might be of interest to you,

1 ) march may magnetically coupled pump but its only rated to 85C but you could replace the pump head??

2) An italian pump bought new and unused from a failed distillery startup, business failed during the kitting up phase.. its a direct coupled brass head with a flexible vane impeller which allows it to pump effectively even with solid matter in the liquor (so could cope with the odd few grains etc.. ) the flexible vanes also allow for effective control with a valve for post pump flow restriction. ( its buried in a box atm but the brand and model number plugged into google reveal all its details if of interest i can dig it out to provide the model no.. Its coupled to a monster motor ;)
Ive pumped water with it to test.. and WOW it sure works well..

As it turns out the 12v lil brown solar pumps do all i need so these big boys are sat unused..
2 cases of ebaying while sampling....

I paid just under £50 for the march may and £80 for the 'italian job' hehe..
not out to make a profit but would rather not loose out..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:03 am

wally wrote:Floyd, how about something like this http://kegking.com.au/mkii-high-tempera ... 1-amp.html. (Please note I have no affiliation with this company).

There are plenty of people in OZ using these with good results. They also have a stainless steel head option, if you are into "bling". They end up much cheaper than a March or Chugger with similar specs, but I,m not sure how much shipping would be to the other side of the world.

Cheers,

Wally
This looks great! Will email to see about shipping. Thanks Wally.

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:06 am

Fil wrote:I have a couple of redundant pumps that might be of interest to you,

1 ) march may magnetically coupled pump but its only rated to 85C but you could replace the pump head??

2) An italian pump bought new and unused from a failed distillery startup, business failed during the kitting up phase.. its a direct coupled brass head with a flexible vane impeller which allows it to pump effectively even with solid matter in the liquor (so could cope with the odd few grains etc.. ) the flexible vanes also allow for effective control with a valve for post pump flow restriction. ( its buried in a box atm but the brand and model number plugged into google reveal all its details if of interest i can dig it out to provide the model no.. Its coupled to a monster motor ;)
Ive pumped water with it to test.. and WOW it sure works well..

As it turns out the 12v lil brown solar pumps do all i need so these big boys are sat unused..
2 cases of ebaying while sampling....

I paid just under £50 for the march may and £80 for the 'italian job' hehe..
not out to make a profit but would rather not loose out..
Sounds interesting Fil. That Italian job sounds like a winner. However, the March is an old faithful. Is it possible to replace the head?

Cheers Fil!

Fil

Post by Fil » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:31 pm

Yes but... ;) The model number id plate is damaged, i sent a photo to March May and received a reply that its a MMP-2

picture and details here on page 46 https://www.joomag.com/magazine/march-m ... 06?page=46

label on the pic is mmp-3 for the picture closest to the pump i have. I think?? the number relates to the number of impellers fitted, mine has 2 x

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:17 pm

Cheers Fil. Do have a link to where I can buy a new SS head to fit the MMP-2?

Cheers :-)

Fil

Post by Fil » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:29 pm

floydmeddler wrote:Cheers Fil. Do have a link to where I can buy a new SS head to fit the MMP-2?

Cheers :-)
fraid not but i have the email addy of the sales team Sales@marchmay.co.uk Alex from March May who i contacted via the address was prompt and helpful when identifying the pump..

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:56 pm

Cheers. I'll get emailing. :-)