RIS Attenuation

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Raize
Steady Drinker

RIS Attenuation

Post by Raize » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:44 am

I just made a nice big RIS with OG 1.106.
10kg Maris Otter + 2kg Roasted Barley + 1kg Crystal mashed at 64C - give or take a degree or so either way. Boiled the wort for about five hours to get the OG I wanted. Fermented with two packs of US05 at 18C, then 24C once the krausen was completely gone.

Although the fermentation was initially very vigorous with about four inches of krausen - nearly flooding the fermentation freezer, after two weeks, it's only gone down to 1.030 and isn't showing any signs of dropping further. Is this reasonable attenuation? My wee Heavy with similar OG 1.102 went down to 1.025 and was still a sticky sweet mess...

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Re: RIS Attenuation

Post by WalesAles » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:37 pm

Raize,
You should still get 10.4% abv! :D :D
Or did you want more? :evil:

WA

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Post by BrannigansLove » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:59 pm

Using the alternative ABV calculation (for greater accuracy at higher ABVs), you are already over 11%, which is near the limit of US05's alcohol tolerance. How does it taste?

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:13 pm

I would've expected the final gravity to be lower than 1030.......but there is a significant crystal and roast addition which will not help in this respect.
I think in this case the yeast will have done about all it can.....less attenuation than expected, but you are pushing its alcohol tolerance.
How much yeast did you pitch?? In a beer that big, I would use double the amount I would normally use for a typical ale.
I would also have mashed at 62 and used 5% of a simple sugar in the grist to help get better attenuation.

hazelbrew

Post by hazelbrew » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:53 pm

you could finish it with some monster like belle saison maybe?

I did an experiment on a stout kit. belle saison took it down from 1084 to 1004...

Raize
Steady Drinker

Post by Raize » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:49 pm

Kegged today.
Yep, it's very sweet and horrible. Better leave the crystal out next time and mash lower.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:50 pm

I'd rack it off to a secondary and forget about it for a while. If you want to try something really interesting, rack onto 5% (weight/volume) banana :wink:

Edit: You've legged already? Throw a few bananas in there...

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:54 pm

McMullan wrote:I'd rack it off to a secondary and forget about it for a while. If you want to try something really interesting, rack onto 5% (weight/volume) banana :wink:

Edit: You've kegged already? Throw a few bananas in there...

f00b4r
Site Admin

RIS Attenuation

Post by f00b4r » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:13 am

McMullan wrote:
McMullan wrote:I'd rack it off to a secondary and forget about it for a while. If you want to try something really interesting, rack onto 5% (weight/volume) banana :wink:

Edit: You've kegged already? Throw a few bananas in there...
Okay you have to explain what racking onto a banana will do to the beer!

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:28 am

You should have used this yeast.

Its one that I recovered from a thirty five year old bottle of Courage Russian Stout. It doesn't stop eating until it gets down to 1.014 :!: It is now available commercially.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:07 am

f00b4r wrote: Okay you have to explain what racking onto a banana will do to the beer!
Sounds bananas, doesn’t it? Apparently , banana is more effective than yeast extract and DAP in high gravity (stressful) fermentations, e.g blueberry wine.

Racking off can kick start suspended yeast. The banana might help them, if they’re deficient in something. They are very nutritious for yeasts too. I have no idea if it would do the trick, but it’s got to be worth a shot. It might add something nice to an RIS? I might even add a banana when I use IPA's monster stout strain 8)

IPA, did you use any yeast nutrient for that amazing stout?

wally
Steady Drinker

RIS Attenuation

Post by wally » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:42 am

IPA wrote:You should have used this yeast.

Its one that I recovered from a thirty five year old bottle of Courage Russian Stout. It doesn't stop eating until it gets down to 1.014 :!: It is now available commercially.
What was the starting gravity of that stout?

Where is the yeast available from commercially?

Cheers,

Wally.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:44 pm

Hi Wally
The OG was 1.098

If you contact Brewlab in Sunderland UK and quote their reference J1 I am sure that they will sell you a slant.

Cheers
Ian

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:48 pm

McMullen said.
No just a starter of 1.040 gravity

Alone we travel faster

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:17 pm

IPA wrote:McMullen said.
No just a starter of 1.040 gravity
'IPA's 666' it is then :D