Poppy seeds

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
brewboy4
Steady Drinker

Poppy seeds

Post by brewboy4 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:46 pm

So my wife just had a baby girl last week , who we called poppy. I was out wetting the baby's head and suddenly had a awesome idea, brew a beer with poppy seeds. So I have done a bit research and found brewdog done a beer with poppy seeds(dogma). Worryingly i found out that poppy seeds also contain morphine and codine so I don't want to brew a potentially dangerous or illegal beer.

Does anyone have experience/info on brewing with poppy seeds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pegasus
Steady Drinker

Re: Poppy seeds

Post by Pegasus » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:19 am

Congrats on the new addition to the family.

Haven't brewed with them but poppy seeds are freely used in bread making - with no issues. Also, a major UK drug company grows poppies to harvest the morphine from the seed head sap - the seeds are a 'waste product' which it sells to the bread making industry. There are insignificant levels in the seeds which you will have to ingest. Not sure if steeping them will extract said products.

BenB

Post by BenB » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:56 am

Yes, don't worry about the seeds, it's not where the opiates come from (as said that's the juice obtained by slashing the poppy flower bud). If poppy seeds were an issue my daily poppy seed bagel (or three) would be an issue. I think the only mind-altering substance in the brew will be ETOH :)

Congratulations BTW!

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:11 am

BenB wrote:Yes, don't worry about the seeds, it's not where the opiates come from (as said that's the juice obtained by slashing the poppy flower bud). If poppy seeds were an issue my daily poppy seed bagel (or three) would be an issue. I think the only mind-altering substance in the brew will be ETOH :)

Congratulations BTW!
Not quite so clear cut... Poppy seed consumption has lead to numerous positive opiate tests :lol:

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php ... drug-test/

Levels are very low tho so personally I'd not be worried :) - unless you're a top flight athelete being tested tomorrow....
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here