Fullers yeast not floccing

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
HisDudeness
Steady Drinker

Fullers yeast not floccing

Post by HisDudeness » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:36 am

I have a Rye Pale on at the moment that I used Fullers yeast in that I had recovered from a previous brew and it is not behaving as I would expect. It has fermented out fine and is about 10 days in the FV so far but by this point the yeast has previously flocculated heavily and the beer virtually cleared, this brew is very cloudy still and the samples are tasting a little bit belgian with all the suspended yeast.

I originally cultured the yeast from Fullers bottles and used a starter for this brew made from a jar of recovered yeast cake (it was a bit old 6- 8 weeks but had been kept in the fridge) so it technically should only be 2nd or 3rd generation? I didnt notice big clumps in the starter but I was using a stir plate so assumed this had kept it broken up. Otherwise it looked and smelt fine and no sign of obvious infection. The beer also tastes ok just very yeasty. So is it possible for the strain to have mutated this much so quickly or is it age degrading it? I wouldnt normally worry at this stage of a brew its just that on previous brew with this yeast it dropped like a stone and was virtually crystal clear straight from FV at 2 weeks old.
Drinking------ AG American IRA, John Bull IPA Partial Mash, AG Dr Smurtos Rye APA, Elderflower Champagne, Another Rye IPA AG, AG 1845/Broadside Winter Ale, Admirals Gold Bitter AG, Pond Monster APA, London Rye Porter, Pale Ale Water Chem Experiment, Gos Otok Slovenian IPA, Summer Lightningish Aurora & Bobek, Cardinal Wolfsey Pale Ale, Wakatu Pale Ale, Boltmaker Bitter, 3 Ghosts Pale Ale
Conditioning------- Red Dawn Amber Ale, 2 Hearted IPA
Brewing------- Turtle Rye PA, Trip Hop Brit Hop

:beer: \:D/ :beer: :P

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Re: Fullers yeast not floccing

Post by BrannigansLove » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:54 pm

Do you have the ability to cold crash it?

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:13 pm

If it's tasting a bit Belgian to me it sounds like something wild has gotten in, maybe Brett.

HisDudeness
Steady Drinker

Post by HisDudeness » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:51 pm

Hopefully not Brett or similar but time will tell not detected anything too funky yet so fingers crossed, as for cold crashing yes will be trying that if it hasn't cleared up on its own by end of the week
Drinking------ AG American IRA, John Bull IPA Partial Mash, AG Dr Smurtos Rye APA, Elderflower Champagne, Another Rye IPA AG, AG 1845/Broadside Winter Ale, Admirals Gold Bitter AG, Pond Monster APA, London Rye Porter, Pale Ale Water Chem Experiment, Gos Otok Slovenian IPA, Summer Lightningish Aurora & Bobek, Cardinal Wolfsey Pale Ale, Wakatu Pale Ale, Boltmaker Bitter, 3 Ghosts Pale Ale

simple one
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by simple one » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:14 pm

Are you sure it's not just a haze from the Rye and the hops (which I assume are in high quantities).

Sometimes this will also give that spicy flavour/aroma.....

HisDudeness
Steady Drinker

Post by HisDudeness » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:17 pm

Pretty sure, its not a huge quantity of rye (15%ish) and havent seen this issue in similar beers I have done previously

Marley

Post by Marley » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:47 pm

I've tried re-using Fullers yeast which I cultivated from Bengal Lancer by storing it on slants, however the second generation wasn't as good as the first and the third was quite bland with almost all the fruity esters gone. Most other yeasts I've tried seem to respond well to re-use but now when I want to use this yeast I culture up fresh from B/L for each brew. I also noticed that the Fullers yeast took longer to flocc on the third generation and I don't think that it's a very robust or stable strain. However I think it's hard to beat for flavour using the first generation.

nbpicklesno2

Post by nbpicklesno2 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:02 pm

I've tried re-using Fullers yeast which I cultivated from Bengal Lancer by storing it on slants, however the second generation wasn't as good as the first and the third was quite bland with almost all the fruity esters gone. Most other yeasts I've tried seem to respond well to re-use but now when I want to use this yeast I culture up fresh from B/L for each brew. I also noticed that the Fullers yeast took longer to flocc on the third generation and I don't think that it's a very robust or stable strain. However I think it's hard to beat for flavour using the first generation.
Are you top or bottom cropping? If bottom cropping the subsequent yeasts will suffer somewhat. If from the top, I can't think of a reason why this may be the case.

HisDudeness
Steady Drinker

Post by HisDudeness » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:17 pm

I'm a bit more confident its not an infection now as it tastes ok but its still very cloudy and the fermentation has definitely progressed differently to last time. It seems to have become more attenuative just over 80% so far and the ester profile is a bit different. I bottom cropped the yeast for mine so maybe that has contributed. I have read about similar experiences on other forums so I think Marley might be correct about it not being the best yeast for re-use. Agree its a great yeast when its working though so might just have to culture up some more or shell out for a whitelabs version.

nbpicklesno2

Post by nbpicklesno2 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:26 pm

Nothing wrong with bottle conditioned Fullers. It just needs to be top cropped. I must be on thirty generations down the line with little changes I can detect.

HisDudeness
Steady Drinker

Post by HisDudeness » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:35 pm

nbpicklesno2 wrote:Nothing wrong with bottle conditioned Fullers. It just needs to be top cropped. I must be on thirty generations down the line with little changes I can detect.
Will give that a go next time! Thanks :D