Burco Blowout!

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
chivelegs

Burco Blowout!

Post by chivelegs » Thu May 05, 2016 3:32 pm

Haven't posted for ages, so hello all again.
I was just starting boiling today when there was the unmistakeable smell of burning coming from the boiler. The ancient and trust 46 litre Burco has finally let me down after 50 odd brews (some very odd indeed.)
The control knob on the boiler has gone to a better place and will obviously need re-wiring
Does anyone here know if this can be saved by a new control knob? Would there be a new version that could be dropped in?

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Re: Burco Blowout!

Post by themadhippy » Thu May 05, 2016 4:34 pm

totally savable,cheapest option would be to bypass it completely,for a bit more hassle you could chuck in a 30A stc1000 or if thats a bit scary, genuineish replacment parts are widley avaliable .you can pick up meter lengths of heat proof cable and the crimps on ebay
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

chivelegs

Post by chivelegs » Thu May 05, 2016 6:38 pm

Bypass it as in wire directly to the mains? Don't think I'm brave enough for that!

scotsloon
Piss Artist

Post by scotsloon » Thu May 05, 2016 8:05 pm

The control knob is actually the thermostat, on my boiler its good up to 110*C. if you BIAB or mash in the same vessel then the best thing is to replace it as you need to maintain your temperatures. You can get genuine Burco parts on line. I'm working on this just now, as I picked up a 20L free boiler the other day as the thermostat is knackred. The wiring is very simple to follow and as has been said heat resistant wires and crimps are easily available. If you feed google with the model details etc... you might get a wiring diagram, there is even a thread on here discussing this very issue.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=27664

Don't be frightened of repairing this yourself, it won't be plugged in when you change the wiring, all you have to do is trace the wiring and make a sketch of it before you start so you know where everything goes, its worth the effort, it really is.

Battleaxe

Post by Battleaxe » Thu May 05, 2016 8:47 pm

If it is a Burco boiler, Plumbcentre stock the water heaters I'm sure they can source the parts to replace what's damaged.

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Thu May 05, 2016 9:26 pm

Looks like a simmerstat.
Dan!

chivelegs

Post by chivelegs » Fri May 06, 2016 8:52 am

It's not the wiring up to the mains that I'm worried about, I'd like a quickly accessible "Off switch" rather than having to isolate it at the mains plug
Thinking one of these looks the job. http://www.backerelectric.com/products/ ... ulator.asp

lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by lord groan » Sat May 07, 2016 3:07 pm

Chivelegs, if I'm not too late I'm pretty sure I have one or two burco simmerstats floating around, you're welcome to one if you want it, BTW they're used working ones not new
Lg
YUP - got a working spare controller that matches yours - if you want it let me know !

chivelegs

Post by chivelegs » Mon May 09, 2016 5:19 pm

Poo. Thanks so much for your kind offer Lord groan, but I already bought one. Any proper qualified sparkies, look away now!
I used heavy duty oven wiring, so hopefully this will last.