Grain spilling out after mash

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
f00b4r
Site Admin

Grain spilling out after mash

Post by f00b4r » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:45 pm

I did my first brew on my new BM yesterday and have to say I am very impressed with it even the wireless facility, which I know is overpriced and currently a bit limited in function but will be worth it for me just being able to start the mash from bed or remotely.
I did run into one issue though that is probably totally my fault but I wanted to understand properly what the issue was. When the mash had finished I drew off some water (I was using no sparge full volume) and released the wingnut ready to pull the malt pipe, at this point the grain started to flow out and into the main chamber. I ended up emptying the BM, rinsing it out and then adding everything back in for the boil through a sieve, although in the clean up afterwards there was quite a lot of grain hidden in the pump part so I hope it has not ruined the beer (ended up being a good lesson in how to clean that out properly :=P ).
NB I was using the short malt pipe on my 20L model.

Do I have to be careful of this and eg hold down the filter plates at the same time, did I have too much water still left in the BM from using the full volume no sparge method, did I clikc on the control panel to advance a step and stop the pumps or something else obvious to someone who has used the machine?

mooncat
Tippler

Re: Grain spilling out after mash

Post by mooncat » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:50 pm

It's happened to me! If I remember right I didn't press the button to acknowledge that the mash had ended so the pump continued to work. Luckily I hit the button before losing grain over the side.

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:12 pm

..yup in that club too
dazzled, doused in gin..

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:25 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, I had a feeling that might be the answer but at the same time couldn't believe that I had never seen the issue raised as a warning for new owners. I do take some comfort in that I am not the only one :P