New Grainfather owner

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Wrongway

Re: New Grainfather owner

Post by Wrongway » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:44 pm

Yes I was lucky yesterday. I called in at Leyland Home Brew and got all the hops I needed for next brew and they were all leaf.

Hairybiker
Hollow Legs

Post by Hairybiker » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:29 pm

I have a GF as well and the same issue, I watch the fv filling and is it slows down I switch the pump off and try and scrape it then give it a quick blow back.
I have just got a hop filter (ebay £14 delivered link is on here) but have yet to try it, next week hopefully.

Wrongway

Post by Wrongway » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:49 pm

That looks the same mesh as the £52 one I saw. Thanks, I'll give it a try I think.

bubblehead

Post by bubblehead » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:33 pm

I have a hop spider from Bridgewater Brewing. It's a good size and 300 micr0n mesh.

http://www.bridgewaterbrewing.co.uk/hop-spiders.html

Goulders
Under the Table

New Grainfather owner

Post by Goulders » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:45 pm

Wrongway wrote:I did look at hop spiders. The Mangrove Jack one on Grainfathers site is £34 and is 800 micron mesh which some say is not fine enough for pellet hops. Otherwise I saw this one http://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/en/filte ... -x-14.html which is 300 micron mesh and is probably more suitable. But at £52 is a tad steep. Would be interested in your £10 design :). I have bought a couple of straining bags to try as well.
I made mine using a BIAB bag, a pipe reducer and three bolts. I haven't a photo but looks a bit like this, but I used 3 screws to keep the cost down ;-) The BIAB bag allows the hops to circulate

Wrongway

Post by Wrongway » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:52 pm

bubblehead wrote:I have a hop spider from Bridgewater Brewing. It's a good size and 300 micr0n mesh.

http://www.bridgewaterbrewing.co.uk/hop-spiders.html
That one looks excellent.
Goulders wrote:
I made mine using a BIAB bag, a pipe reducer and three bolts. I haven't a photo but looks a bit like this, but I used 3 screws to keep the cost down ;-) The BIAB bag allows the hops to circulate

That looks very doable. :D

Hairybiker
Hollow Legs

Post by Hairybiker » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:54 am

I previously used one like that. Got most of the parts off ebay, muslin for free, and got SHMBO to sew the bag.
Only issues I had was the muslin was prone to tearing after a few uses, so needed replaced, and it tended to float and or wrap round itself.

I used my SS one for the first time yesterday, had to bend the handle to keep the thing stable, but it handled 100g of pellets with ease, pumped out nice clear wort right to the last drop.

Wrongway

Post by Wrongway » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:05 am

How long did the SS take to arrive as they are located in Hong Kong. I have had things from China take 3 months to arrive.

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:58 am

My experience is 2-3 weeks.
Best wishes

Dave

Hairybiker
Hollow Legs

Post by Hairybiker » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:08 pm

Mine took about 3 weeks, others took 2.

Soton

Post by Soton » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:30 pm

I have ordered a 300 micron hop spider from eBay 13.99 so not a big gamble
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301953880886? ... EBIDX%3AIT
I only ordered it a week ago so it has not arrived yet, once I get a chance to use it I will post my thoughts here

Wrongway

Post by Wrongway » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:47 pm

Just ordered mine today.

greengrass

Post by greengrass » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:28 pm

I am actually looking into getting a GF myself, but from the posts on here there are a few issues with them, any advice. I thought, get a GF and away I go all grain brewing, but now I am not so sure. :shock:

Wrongway

Post by Wrongway » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:21 pm

greengrass wrote:I am actually looking into getting a GF myself, but from the posts on here there are a few issues with them, any advice. I thought, get a GF and away I go all grain brewing, but now I am not so sure. :shock:
What issues? I have been very pleased with mine so far. Looking forward to next brew day on Tuesday. Hoping to do an Old Perculiar.

monkeymullins
Steady Drinker

Post by monkeymullins » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:45 pm

Also curious on these issues and what they may be, as I'm strongly thinking of getting one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk