Grapefruit extract

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
UpTheToon
Piss Artist

Grapefruit extract

Post by UpTheToon » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:58 pm

Malt Miller are now selling cold pressed grapefruit extract. This is how at least one of the big UK "craft" breweries are getting that big fruit flavour in their beer.

http://themaltmiller.co.uk/index.php?_a ... uctId=1621

I received a sample from Rob and have it on tap now at home... I won't be zesting grapefruits again!

He is getting passionfruit extract too, I can't wait to do a PassionPale.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Grapefruit extract

Post by Jocky » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:37 pm

One thing - when you serve this to someone else, make sure they're not on any kind of medication unless you want a chance of calling an ambulance - grapefruit has a range of dangerous interactions with various medicines.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/11November/ ... y-mix.aspx

On the other hand, grapefruit is great for reducing cholesterol.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Secla » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:12 pm

Which uk craft brewery are using this ? I see its a easy way of adding the grapefruit hit and takes alot of work out of it but it seems a bit less craft and a bit more artificial flavouring to me (and yes i know technically its a natural flavouring)

Wezzel

Post by Wezzel » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:23 pm

Notice it contains ethanol. Doesn't that make you go blind?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Secla » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:29 pm

i guess as a preserative ? it is just highly concentrated pressed grapefruit

gregles
Steady Drinker

Post by gregles » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:08 pm

Wezzel wrote:Notice it contains ethanol. Doesn't that make you go blind? Image
I hope not

The Epworth Brewer

Post by The Epworth Brewer » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:17 am

I am not allowed grapefruit following a heart attack. I don't find that a problem but although I am slowly coming round to ales with a definite citric presence and I'm getting quite excited about the prospects of experimenting I don't see myself using something like this.
I am currently fermenting an ale derived from the Jennings Cocker Hoop recipe in BYO 3rd Ed but with a slightly different grain and hop bill plus the shaved zest of 2 large oranges in the boil for 5 minutes as in Seymour's Citra Gold. Depending on the taste/aroma I may add the zest from another orange in secondary for a few days.

I've got to say as soon as I see the word 'Craft' or 'hand crafted using the finest ingredients' etc etc my heckles are up. It is nothing more than a marketing gimmick and implies that the old established brewers are somewhat inferior in their brewing knowledge and ingredients. In fact if there isn't already a debate on this very subject somewhere on JBK I'll start one.

Crikey, I'm on my soapbox already and it's only 6.15 a.m. Better take the dog for a walk and calm down!

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:29 am

I heard it was "self abuse". Any of you guys short sighted. :wink:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

UpTheToon
Piss Artist

Post by UpTheToon » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:06 am

Secla wrote:Which uk craft brewery are using this ? I see its a easy way of adding the grapefruit hit and takes alot of work out of it but it seems a bit less craft and a bit more artificial flavouring to me (and yes i know technically its a natural flavouring)
I guess it may feel like a bit of a cheat but the convenience and predictability of it outweigh that for me. It is a pure extract apart from the preservatives listed too.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:03 am

orlando wrote:
I heard it was "self abuse". Any of you guys short sighted. :wink:
My old great uncle swore that he was half deaf because of too much masturbation.

I think it might have been more to do with spending his younger years firing his shotgun without hearing protection, but what do I know?
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Post by BrannigansLove » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:54 am

Secla wrote:Which uk craft brewery are using this ? I see its a easy way of adding the grapefruit hit and takes alot of work out of it but it seems a bit less craft and a bit more artificial flavouring to me (and yes i know technically its a natural flavouring)
I know Magic Rock use grapefruit extract in their High Wire Grapefruit, but given how tasty that beer is, I say fair play. To be honest, I don't there is anything wrong in using extracts in beer, especially for commercial brewers that need consistency in their products. If these things were available more freely in home brew quantities, I think we'd all be using them too.

wezzel01
Piss Artist

Post by wezzel01 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:23 pm

gregles wrote:
I hope not
Apologies, I was thinking of Methanol Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:52 pm

UpTheToon wrote:
I guess it may feel like a bit of a cheat but the convenience and predictability of it outweigh that for me. It is a pure extract apart from the preservatives listed too.
Can of worms this, what is "real" beer made from e.g how do you feel about sugar, an ingredient that a lot of the reputation of the classic cask conditioned Bitter beer is founded on?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:56 pm

orlando wrote:
UpTheToon wrote:
Can of worms this, what is "real" beer made from e.g how do you feel about sugar, an ingredient that a lot of the reputation of the classic cask conditioned Bitter beer is founded on?
Quite. It's about you enjoying your brewing, whatever that takes.

If you want to do it, do it, and don't let anyone else tell you it's wrong.

Wezzel

Grapefruit extract

Post by Wezzel » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:20 pm

"If you want to do it, do it, and don't let anyone else tell you it's wrong."

Good advice for life in general

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk