cask widge

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
joe1002
Piss Artist

Re: cask widge

Post by joe1002 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:23 pm

Bunglebrewsbeer wrote:Does the CO2 connect to the cask widge thing? And a breather thing needed to allow a bit in as its drawn out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spot on.

Bunglebrewsbeer
Hollow Legs

Post by Bunglebrewsbeer » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:03 am

Sorted. Expect more brain picking as and when I get this set up on the go.

Kyle_T
Mild King

Post by Kyle_T » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:03 am

I have been using cask pretty much exclusively for over a year experimenting with various methods, my favourite still stands at direct dispense but this entails a different approach, as for the cask widge it is a very nice system to use but I would only recommend it for those who pay frequent visits to the bar.

To begin with I simply had the gas running from a primary regulator into an aspirator and the onto to the cask widge, as different suppliers appear to have different vent nozzles, I used 2 small lengths of PVC tubing (9.5mm & 10mm I think) slid inside one another to connect the gas line to the vent nozzle, this made it easy to connect and disconnect the gas line for cleaning whilst maintaining a no leak seal.

This then connected to the beer engine from the beer out of the cask widge, however, I have since found that after 2 weeks the beer will lose its level of cask condition and pour flat, so I changed to using a propane low pressure gas regulator from BES and fitted with JG push fits, this operates on a constant 1/2 PSI feed rather than a vacuum feed like the aspirator.

Once the pressure inside the cask reached 1/2 PSI, the regulator shuts off the CO2 and when used, opens and maintains the pressure by variating the pressure on the inlet until a stable 1/2 PSI is maintained, the biggest bonus I found is that a small portion of this is saturated into the beer when kept at cellar temperatures thus extending the condition life of the beer...although this does conflict with CAMRAs rulings about real ale...but they can go **** themselves.

Both methods work but for me, propane regulator is the way forward.
My Ridleys' Brewery Blog:
http://www.theessexbrewer.wordpress.com

Bunglebrewsbeer
Hollow Legs

Post by Bunglebrewsbeer » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:44 am

What regulator do you mean? I can only see ones I currently screw into my gas bottle I use when brewing from what you say.

Goulders
Under the Table

Post by Goulders » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:14 am

Bungle - you need to do some searching ;-)
viewtopic.php?t=76692#p798917

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Matt in Birdham » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:19 am

Goulders wrote:Bungle - you need to do some searching ;-)
viewtopic.php?t=76692#p798917
That seems like it could be a brilliant way to keep a small bit of CO2 pressure on a conical whilst cold-crashing..

Bunglebrewsbeer
Hollow Legs

Post by Bunglebrewsbeer » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:33 am

I've had a read. And commented. Unsure about removing and getting a new nipple?

dazer23866
Piss Artist

Post by dazer23866 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:40 pm

Kyle_T wrote:I have been using cask pretty much exclusively for over a year experimenting with various methods, my favourite still stands at direct dispense but this entails a different approach, as for the cask widge it is a very nice system to use but I would only recommend it for those who pay frequent visits to the bar.

To begin with I simply had the gas running from a primary regulator into an aspirator and the onto to the cask widge, as different suppliers appear to have different vent nozzles, I used 2 small lengths of PVC tubing (9.5mm & 10mm I think) slid inside one another to connect the gas line to the vent nozzle, this made it easy to connect and disconnect the gas line for cleaning whilst maintaining a no leak seal.

This then connected to the beer engine from the beer out of the cask widge, however, I have since found that after 2 weeks the beer will lose its level of cask condition and pour flat, so I changed to using a propane low pressure gas regulator from BES and fitted with JG push fits, this operates on a constant 1/2 PSI feed rather than a vacuum feed like the aspirator.

Once the pressure inside the cask reached 1/2 PSI, the regulator shuts off the CO2 and when used, opens and maintains the pressure by variating the pressure on the inlet until a stable 1/2 PSI is maintained, the biggest bonus I found is that a small portion of this is saturated into the beer when kept at cellar temperatures thus extending the condition life of the beer...although this does conflict with CAMRAs rulings about real ale...but they can go **** themselves.

Both methods work but for me, propane regulator is the way forward.
Im all ready to start this now. i have my cask, i have my regulater, cask widge, even got me a freezer thats temperature controlled.
My beer has been brewed just needs to finish fermenting :lol: :lol:

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:46 pm

..or get a regulator with bsp fittings and screw the john guest/hose barbs in with no dismantling required..

it's all out there ;)
dazzled, doused in gin..