Pre boil gravity and post gravity both the same?

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Onthebrew

Pre boil gravity and post gravity both the same?

Post by Onthebrew » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:58 pm

I am guessing something gone wrong here. Just done my first brew ever and used the BM. Recipe instructions were vague to say the least. Anyway my reading was 1060 pre boil , I then topped up with 4 litres ( as per recipe I think) and boiled. Took measurement again and 1060 again? Very confused? Beer fermenting now but will it be drinkable? :(

BenB

Re: Pre boil gravity and post gravity both the same?

Post by BenB » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:05 pm

Hopefully! 1.060 is a fairly healthy OG depending on the yeast used. It's just a coincidence your post-boil was the same as your pre-boil... Don't sweat it.

Mr Squiffy
Steady Drinker

Post by Mr Squiffy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:08 pm

You've added 4 litres then boiled 4 litres off, result, same gravity. The only reason gravity normally increases post boil is due to there being less wort but same sugars.

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:23 pm

Cheers guys, Feel better now, it seemed too much off a coincidence to boil off the exact amount added, but thinking about it that was probably the idea, I guess

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:40 pm

Ok, 6 days into fermentation at in and around target temp of 18 degrees. Took a sample gravity now 1020. Tastes ok in that there are no rogue flavours.

Only thing is look at the colour, it's like a watery milky cup of tea!

Will this clear??? Any reassurance welcome!

Ps I Dont know why pic is upside down
Attachments
image.jpeg

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:37 pm

Ah, you're brewing Australian beer, I see. Clever, how they stop it falling out of the glass :D

The pre-boil vs post-boil gravity readings are doubtless as others have said, although there are also times when readings from the boiler can be misleading because the wort doesn't necessarily mix uniformly until stirred/mixed and has become even in temperature.

If your sample was taken from low down in the fermenter there may be yeast sediment included in it; it will normally run clearer after a pint or so unless your tap (or racking cane) is low in the sediment. Even from slightly higher above the sediment, the beer is unlikely to have settled by this stage. It sounds like it may be nearing the end of fermentation but probably still active, once that ends it will take time to settle out.

EDIT: and sometimes floating matter can affect hydrometer readings slightly too.
Last edited by Kev888 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kev

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Post by BrannigansLove » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:08 pm

What yeast are you using? WY1450, and WY1318 I've found take a lot longer to clear than other yeasts. Cold crashing definitely helps though.

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:10 pm

Sample was taken from fermenter tap at bottom, so yes fingers crossed it could be yeast from there. Yeast brand was a dry one , danstar windsor ale that came with recipe pack. Will have a look at it again in a few days. Was going to bottle direct from fv but thinking of secondry first now. Been fermenting at about 18 degrees, give or take about 1 degree.

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Post by BrannigansLove » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:38 pm

Give it time, I leave most of my beers for 3 weeks before packaging. Even with the yeasts I mentioned earlier, they have cleared by that stage.

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:37 pm

Ok cheers, not all is lost then!

One thing though, is I dry dropped some lose leafed hops at same time I took sample and wouldn't want them there longer than A week I think. Maybe need to move to a secondry in a week if still over cloudy?