titanic plum porter

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
Goulders
Under the Table

Re: titanic plum porter

Post by Goulders » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:33 pm

No it wasn't. Bingham's Vanilla Stout is the Overall and Speciality Supreme Champion. Titanic took Silver in the Speciality category.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:49 pm

Goulders wrote:No it wasn't. Bingham's Vanilla Stout is the Overall and Speciality Supreme Champion. Titanic took Silver in the Speciality category.
:D Memory fault, I knew it was in the mix, I was mislead by the Vanilla Stout bit
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:49 am

Well I finally gave up on the plum - didn't really fancy adding anything that wasn't 'pure fruit'. So have split the wort and added a litre of pure tart cherry juice (healthfood shoppie) to the 1st 10 litre batch and a whole split vanilla pod to the other. I doubt the cherry will 'come through' much but it's only an experiment.

When I checked the gravity (on the cherry version) the addition had taken the gravity from 1008 to 1022. As I only bottle, I suddenly thought I might be creating a few bombs here so bunged in 3g of yeast to get it down a bit. I'm now wondering if this was a major mistake although there are signs fermentation is going on.

Thoughts?

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:55 am

You did the right thing.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Kyle_T
Mild King

Post by Kyle_T » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:36 am

orlando wrote:
PhilB wrote: Titanic did a Coffee & Vanilla version of their porter as a Special Edition, Xmas before last ISTR, that was very nice too :wink:
And as you no doubt know was thought to be so good it is the new Supreme Champion for 2016.
Erm. No it isn't. It was Bingham's Vanilla Stout.
My Ridleys' Brewery Blog:
http://www.theessexbrewer.wordpress.com

orlando

Post by orlando » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:07 pm

Kyle_T wrote:
orlando wrote:
PhilB wrote: Titanic did a Coffee & Vanilla version of their porter as a Special Edition, Xmas before last ISTR, that was very nice too :wink:
And as you no doubt know was thought to be so good it is the new Supreme Champion for 2016.
Erm. No it isn't. It was Bingham's Vanilla Stout.

Already pointed out earlier in the thread. Keep up Kyle. :roll:

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Kyle_T
Mild King

Post by Kyle_T » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:47 pm

I didn't even notice there was 2 pages...
My Ridleys' Brewery Blog:
http://www.theessexbrewer.wordpress.com

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:55 pm

Cheers Orlando - glad to hear I haven't cocked up - yet!

It does raise another question though on the vanilla version. As the cherry version is both in the brew fridge and aslo in my only 3 gallon bucket, it's in the best situation it can be. The vanilla version however is in a bedroom cupboard but, more of a concern, in my back-up 5 gallon fermenting bucket. There's obviously a lot of headroom in there so should I be concerned about oxidisation if I'm to leave it for at least 1, and possibly 2 weeks.

I don't have any other vessel I can use for this version so if oxidisation is an issue, should I think about adding some 'sugar' and yeast to get it working again and filling the void with CO2?

orlando

Post by orlando » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:56 am

Meatymc wrote:Cheers Orlando - glad to hear I haven't cocked up - yet!

It does raise another question though on the vanilla version. As the cherry version is both in the brew fridge and aslo in my only 3 gallon bucket, it's in the best situation it can be. The vanilla version however is in a bedroom cupboard but, more of a concern, in my back-up 5 gallon fermenting bucket. There's obviously a lot of headroom in there so should I be concerned about oxidisation if I'm to leave it for at least 1, and possibly 2 weeks.

I don't have any other vessel I can use for this version so if oxidisation is an issue, should I think about adding some 'sugar' and yeast to get it working again and filling the void with CO2?

If it has a lid with an airlock it should be fine. It is entirely possible that the yeast is still clearing up and producing a little CO2.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:02 pm

Can understand the gravity going up on the cherry version - now down 1016, but just checked the vanilla and that too has gone from 1008 to 1016. The pod was due to have a high 'sugar' element but surely not as much a 1 litre of pure cheery juice? Curious :?:

Simonh82

Post by Simonh82 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:49 pm

I've been playing with a plum porter recipe after having a couple of bottles of the Titanic beer from Lidl last year. It was great stuff and I'm not usually a huge drinker of dark beers.

It's never made it to the top of my brew schedule but I'm thinking of bewing it in time for Christmas, so will get it on in the next month or so. You can see the recipe I've come up with here if you're interested. http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... lum-porter. I've got for Carafa 2 instead of black malt/roasted barley as one of the things I really liked about the Titanic beer was the lack of any burnt/acrid dark malt bitterness.

On the subject of extracts, I've come across this stuff http://www.uncleroys.co.uk/natural-flav ... sence.html, which I might keep in had if the plum taste isn't strong enough. They also do chocolate extract which I hear is good for things like chocolate stouts.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:10 pm

I'd be interested to know how you go on with the extract - keep us posted will you?

Not convinced any quantity of fresh or 'reduced' plums will give a brew that mellow edge Titanic achieve - sure it will be an extract of some description.

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Post by BrannigansLove » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:18 pm

Meatymc wrote:I'd be interested to know how you go on with the extract - keep us posted will you?

Not convinced any quantity of fresh or 'reduced' plums will give a brew that mellow edge Titanic achieve - sure it will be an extract of some description.
Titanic definitely use an extract for the plum porter. Taken from their website - "This beer is dark strong and well rounded; the richness of such a rotund beer is brought to an even keel by the late addition of Goldings hops and natural plum flavouring."

http://www.titanicbrewery.co.uk/p/titan ... orter.html

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:21 pm

Bummer. Cocked up on the carbonation front (bottling) and badly under carbed. Real pity as although way too young to be drinking now both the vanilla and cherry come through really well and will defo do this recipe again. I might try and make it a straight forward cherry addition though rather than a full litre of natural tart cherry juice - which wasn't cheap!! Did half vanilla - other half cherry.

Basic recipe was:

4kg optic
1kg munich
700g crystal
250 chocolate
100 wheat
50 black

30g total columbus
10g wyg

Redimpz
Hollow Legs

Post by Redimpz » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:02 am

I used a "Brodies Prime " recipe for the porter and bought the Plum extract from Amazon, I used 30ml and the plum flavour is quite strong, maybe 20ml next time. it turned out very nice though.