BM sout recipe (request)

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Onthebrew

BM sout recipe (request)

Post by Onthebrew » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:58 pm

Anyone have a good dry stout recipe specifically for the Braumeister. My thinking is the roasted barley etc would utilise the steeped mash facility well?

Mashman
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: BM sout recipe (request)

Post by Mashman » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:20 pm

Not sure if you would call it a dry stout but this is superb.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2984

Kegged it today, first time on the BM. Should be good for Christmas.
Two Valleys Brewery

Brewing up trouble

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:23 pm

I brewed this recently which has turned out well using the BM. It comes with basic BM instructions however I just went with my normal profile. I also used US-05

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:18 pm

mashman - do you mean the first one you started the post with or one of the others suggested?

rhodes- just realised as i am in belfast postage will cost as much as recipe ( my two previous recipes i ordered same time as BM so free postage) so i am going have push forward without a a dedicated BM recipe pack. no problem following a recipe but would like make the most of the BM multi step mash.

once I worked out a recipe i will post it and maybe someone could recommend the mash steps?

its for mother in laws birthday bash, with none of the guests ale drinkers, but being irish they will drink guinness, so thought playing it safe with a guiness type recipe. however thinking maybe better doing something interesting instead that uses the BM to the max rather than giving them a flawed imitation of guinness. Possible try an oat stout or milk stout.

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:53 am

I think I just mashed mine in at 65c and then a 15 mash out at 78c. If you want it drier then you could perhaps try it at 62/63c for 30 minutes then raise to 68/69c for another 30 mins before mash out? I have had my BM nearly a year now and still experimenting with it though sometimes just mash in at the desired temperature.

To truly test it you would need to do 2 identical brews and compare for attenuation, mouth feel etc. All part of the fun

Soay4699
Steady Drinker

Post by Soay4699 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:11 pm

After mash in I just do 10 mins at 52degC, 60 mins at 67degC, 30 mins at 73degC, 15 mins at 78degC and then sparge. Works for me.

I know alot of people say you don't need a protein rest anymore because the malts of today are highly modified etc but I use that time, ie. after the 10 mins is up to take my pH reading. And anyway, with a BM it is easy to have a number of steps so why not I say.

Rob.

Mashman

Post by Mashman » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:50 pm

Sorry, not to clear there.

I meant the recipe by PieOPah.

I brewed this several times on my 3v set up and a couple of times on the BM, reduced grain bill by about 20% to hit 20 litres on the BM.

It has always been very good.

M
Two Valleys Brewery

Brewing up trouble

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:20 pm

ok have ingredients and am going for the one from Gregs book tomorrow!

3.8kg marris otter
500g flaked barley
400g roast barley
100g chocalate malt

62g east kent goldings pellets
protofloc tab

i am using lidle irish garick glen water which is very high in biocarb so should work well( i think)- looked ok on brewers friend

still not sure what to mash in at
but mash will be 67 for 60 mins, 77 for 10 mins and boil for 60 mins

might mash in at 65?? just thinking now- does flake barley need a protein rest?

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:25 pm

mashing in at low temperatures will be easier as the malt wont form clumps that need breaking up. but it will deprive you that glorious mash-in aroma..
for what it's worth i go at 38C, but i can't remember why it's that precise..

PS, the BM is just a brewing machine. any recipe will work in it, as good or as bad as any other method :wink:
dazzled, doused in gin..

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:47 pm

Ok brewed it up yesterday. Slight problem is that I ended up well below OG target. I got 1038 instead of 1048. Essentially I over compensated for boil water loss. As the wort was well in in cool down process by the the time the sample was cool enough to check there was nothing I could do but finish cool down, pitch yeast and ferment.

A couple of questions,

I made a yeast starter from liquid yeast but as this low gravity could I now have used to much yeast?

Is there anything I can do to avoid a drab, low alcohol stout at this stage?

For the record after topping up to 27 litres in the BM after boil, the OG was spot on, so I added water to compensate for the boil reduction. Two contributory factors I believe here. My first two brews were hop heavy IPAs that I used dry leaf straight in the kettle which absorbed a lot of water by boil end. This being a stout was lower hops and also I used pellets in a sock, so no loss here. Secondly my previous two batches I set boil temp at 103, this time just 100. Thirdly I mashed in at 65 instead of 38/40 as previously( no idea if this last factor had an effect but it's a change so noted it here)

Ended up using 31 litres of water and have 25 litres in fermenter. Can anyone identify how much liquid you need to account for on average for boil loss? Also when is best to take samples given it takes 30 mins at least to cool the wort to make a reading? Mid boil then calculate probable end boil from that?and amend end boil?

Quite a few questions there, If anyone can through some light on the above I would be most grateful!!

Cheers

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:36 pm

29L total water to hit your target. I'd mash in 23L and 'sparge' (rinse) the grains with 6L water @ 78*C after mash out.
Attachments
P1040528.jpg

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:22 pm

cheers mcmullan- 29 litres, so 6 litres top up. will defo give that a go next time. do you vary that at all depending on hops and grain bill,m or is that pretty much on the money each time?

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:26 pm

Yes, it varies depending mainly on the amount of grain used. Using software, e.g. Beersmith, should give you a good idea of total water needed to achieve what you are aiming for. When you rinse the grains with the remaining water, pour it slowly with the malt pipe's top filter plate in place. Then let it drain for about 30min before removing the malt pipe. There should be lots of fermentable sugars remaining in the grain bed, despite what is recommended in the BM manual.

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:04 am

havnt looked properly into beer smith yet- i have a profile on brewers friend which helps with water adustments in terms of profile etc. Thought i read somewhere on here that there were issues with BM profile on Beersmith, and it got things wrong? That put me off a bit. is there a way to correct it? or is it fine and ive got my wires crossed?

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:45 am

Beer Smith is fine, if it is set up for the BM. There is a good thread on the BM Forum (https://forum.braumeisters.net/).