Hefeweizen

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
far9410
Even further under the Table

Hefeweizen

Post by far9410 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:29 pm

Hi all, thinking this, not made one of these before, any advice welcome

2.6 kg wheat malt
2.6 kg Vienna
300 g oat husks?

50g hallertau tradition, to about 30 ibu

Wb 06 yeast

I batch sparge , so might try to do a 2 step decoction

Ok?
no palate, no patience.

Drinking - of course

BackO'Th'Shed

Re: Hefeweizen

Post by BackO'Th'Shed » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:58 pm

A good hefeweizen is all about the yeast and decoction mash in my opinion. I usually keep it simple and go for 60% wheat malt 40% pilsner malt with 200g rice hulls or oat husks for a 5g brew thrown in to prevent a stuck mash. Hallertauer is a good choice of hop, but IBU is a bit high. 10-15 IBU is more appropriate for the style. For me, a good hefeweizen needs wlp300/wyeast 3068. It's one of my favourite yeast strains. I have a dunkelweizen fermenting with it ATM and have just been boring SWMBO with how great it smells in the fv. Keep it at 18C and it has a great balance of banana/clove. I haven't used WB06 so can't comment on that, but I've had such good results with the weihenstephan strain that I wouldn't brew a hefe without it.

Barley Water
Under the Table

Post by Barley Water » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:13 pm

I have made a lot of Heffe over the years and I completely agree, WLP300 is my weapon of choice. I usually do 70% wheat malt but frankly I don't know that it matters as long as you get over 50%. What does matter a lot however is how you ferment the beer, the yeast is extremely temperature dependent. What I want in mine is a nice mixture of clove and banana so I try to ferment at say 62-64F then I let it get hotter at the end to make sure I get complete fermentation. Some of the other tricks I do to get the most flavor from the yeast are, open fermentation, under pitch the yeast (no starter), and no aeration and a rest at about 117F (makes for more clove flavor). What I try to do is stress the yeast so it throws off the maximum amount of goodies. Also, a decoction will tend to get you a better mouth feel. Have fun and enjoy, it's a fun style to make. :D
Drinking:Saison (in bottles), Belgian Dubbel (in bottles), Oud Bruin (in bottles), Olde Ale (in bottles),
Abbey Triple (in bottles), Munich Helles, Best Bitter (TT Landlord clone), English IPA
Conditioning: Traditional bock bier, CAP
Fermenting: Munich Dunkel
Next up: Bitter (London Pride like), ESB
So many beers to make, so little time (and cold storage space)

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:20 pm

This is a nice resource

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... sbier_Hell

Been ages since I made a weissbier

duncans

Post by duncans » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:41 pm

Your recipe will work, no doubt.

Personally, I am not a fan of wb-06. Gave me such a strong bubblegum / banana flavour that I didn't use it again, after a couple of trial batches. All wlp380 is less banana/bubblegum than wb-06 and wlp300, imo.

far9410
Even further under the Table

Post by far9410 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:26 am

Thanks guy, great advice as always, I'll try and get some wlp 300
no palate, no patience.

Drinking - of course