Perle in a Pilsener?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Perle in a Pilsener?

Post by MTW » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:52 pm

Is Perle OK, as least as an early addition, in a Pilsener?

I have a recipe from a friend which is entirely Saaz, as you may expect. His brew was excellent. However, the AA on the Saaz I can get is around a third less than his, at a miserable 2.2. I'd end up sticking 180g in 19L, which is going to soak up a lot of wort. I'm thinking of replacing the 90min addition with Perle, at 7.4AA. I would still put a full 100g pack of Saaz in the later additions.

Perle is a hop I know quite well from using it in Belgian pales, hefes, and even in combo with EKG in a pale. I like it a lot. It's billed as something of a higher alpha Hallertau on the Malt Miller's site. But I'd hesitate to use it if I thought it may change the taste too much, even as an early addition.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Perle in a Pilsener?

Post by Jocky » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:02 pm

I recently used it in a Dortmunder Export, which is a Pilsner like Helles. I think it's good, not extraordinarily different from Hallertauer Mittelfruh I normally use.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:13 pm

It's a Classic Pilsner noble hop, I'd use it with no qualms whatsoever

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:10 pm

Excellent, thanks both!

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:49 pm

MTW wrote:Is Perle OK, as least as an early addition, in a Pilsener?

I have a recipe from a friend which is entirely Saaz, as you may expect. His brew was excellent. However, the AA on the Saaz I can get is around a third less than his, at a miserable 2.2. I'd end up sticking 180g in 19L, which is going to soak up a lot of wort. I'm thinking of replacing the 90min addition with Perle, at 7.4AA. I would still put a full 100g pack of Saaz in the later additions.

Perle is a hop I know quite well from using it in Belgian pales, hefes, and even in combo with EKG in a pale. I like it a lot. It's billed as something of a higher alpha Hallertau on the Malt Miller's site. But I'd hesitate to use it if I thought it may change the taste too much, even as an early addition.

A better sub would be sterlings, if you can find them, as they are very saaz like with higher AA%.
I'm just here for the beer.

Notlaw
Piss Artist

Post by Notlaw » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:02 pm

There's an Australian hop called Sylva which was specifically bred as a southern hemisphere equivalent to Saaz. It's really similar and very good, but not much use to you here as it's even harder to get than Saaz haha.

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:38 pm

Rookie wrote:
MTW wrote:Is Perle OK, as least as an early addition, in a Pilsener?

A better sub would be sterlings, if you can find them, as they are very saaz like with higher AA%.
Sterling look interesting, and the Malt Miller has them. I will go with the Perle for now, but they certainly sound interesting. Bred not just from Saaz, but Brewer's Gold and Cascade too, apparently. I'm not looking for anything citrussy this time, if that were to come through.

Interesting to hear about Sylva too.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:40 pm

MTW wrote:
Rookie wrote:
MTW wrote: Sterling look interesting, and the Malt Miller has them. I will go with the Perle for now, but they certainly sound interesting. Bred not just from Saaz, but Brewer's Gold and Cascade too, apparently. I'm not looking for anything citrussy this time, if that were to come through.

I've made pilsner with all sterlings and never got any citrus.
I'm just here for the beer.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:34 pm

Hop parentage doesn't necessarily give you much of a clue as to what the resulting hops will be like.

Cascade and Nelson Sauvin are both grand daughters of fuggles!
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:52 pm

Jocky wrote:Hop parentage doesn't necessarily give you much of a clue as to what the resulting hops will be like.

Cascade and Nelson Sauvin are both grand daughters of fuggles!
I suppose not. I wonder how they go about deciding on the parents for new varieties then. If you want citrus, it sounds like you might well not end up with that, just by choosing citra and cascade as the parents or whatever. :-k

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:42 pm

Aleman wrote:It's a Classic Pilsner noble hop, I'd use it with no qualms whatsoever

It's not a noble hop, although I agree I'd use it in pilsner :mrgreen: I's a bit like a super hallertau mittelfruh -much stronger AA but a nice pleasing noble spiceness .