Anyone used the ESP8266

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
bobsbeer

Anyone used the ESP8266

Post by bobsbeer » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:43 pm

Which before anyone asks, is a WiFi IOT device that connects to an Arduino. I was thinking if using a few to connect sensors such as temp probes so that I can monitor brewing temps from my phone or laptop. They look fairly straightforward to use. Just trying to figure out how to connect everything up.

I figured using DS18b20 one wire temp probes would allow me to monitor 2 or 3 temperatures all at once sending the results to my phone or iPad via wifi. I could be in the house or even the other side of the world and see what temp my HLT or fermenting cabinet was. I could also switch on or off heating elements as required remotely. With a bit more imagination I could open up valves or switch on pumps. My system also has 2 flow sensors linked in to measure volume going into my MT and boiler. I also use it to measure volume going into my FV. My system is all set up for full automation. I just need to figure out the computer code, which is beyond my tiny brain cells at the moment. :D

So has anyone used a ESP8266 and what did you use it for?

chris2012
Under the Table

Re: Anyone used the ESP8266

Post by chris2012 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:58 pm

I've briefly played with it, you could have a look at nodemcu which uses lua, which iirc can interface with the ds18 temp probe.

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:35 pm

Yup, I've got a few of them. Hooked up a DS18B20 and used one as a beer fridge temperature monitor :) They're amazing bits of kit, a Wifi capable programmable device for under a fiver.
I used the Arduino development environment with an ESP8266 plugin and wrote C code to program the thing. Pretty easy, *but* I am a software engineer :)
Dan!

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:44 pm

They do sound bril bits of kit. Ordered one to play with, but I may need a few. Did you put your code anywhere online Andy? It would be good to copy it as a software engineer I'm not. I struggle with English never mind Basic. :D

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:37 am

bobsbeer wrote:They do sound bril bits of kit. Ordered one to play with, but I may need a few. Did you put your code anywhere online Andy? It would be good to copy it as a software engineer I'm not. I struggle with English never mind Basic. :D
Arduino code and examples work with esp8266 modules, just ensure you have downloaded the latest version of the arduino ide. Then all you need do is select the esp module from the menu list of target boards before you compile and load your code.
alternatively the esp boards are serial modems out of the box responding to an AT command set, or you can use lua to program the boards.

you will also need an interface to program/flash the esp8266 modules, either a usb/ttl, an arduino board, or a dedicated esp8266 interface, Just be mindful of the voltage difference between usb output and the 3.3v esp boards.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Hairybiker
Hollow Legs

Post by Hairybiker » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:22 am

Bob check out Vito's pages.
http://vito.tw/category/brewmaniac/

He has done great work with these beasts. Currently a brewpi replacement and and ardbir replacement.

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:04 pm

Thanks for that. I'll check them out.

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:59 pm

Hairybiker wrote:Bob check out Vito's pages.
http://vito.tw/category/brewmaniac/

He has done great work with these beasts. Currently a brewpi replacement and and ardbir replacement.

I'm using a modified version of Vito's code, works well.
Dan!

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:25 am

It looks good.

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:48 pm

yip

ESP8266 wakes up and puts data into Influxdb which is then rendered on Grafana dashboard
the db self configures and grafana is template based so can scale to squillions of plastic movable fermenters :)
cool

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:49 pm

Couldn't have described it better roscoe. =D> :D

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:56 pm

My Esp8266 arrived but then realised I needed a level shifter for the TX/RX pins and a 5v to 3.3v step down. :roll: :oops:

Fil

Post by Fil » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:57 pm

bobsbeer wrote:My Esp8266 arrived but then realised I needed a level shifter for the TX/RX pins and a 5v to 3.3v step down. :roll: :oops:
while its not 'advisable, in my all be it fairly limited experience with a few 2866-01,-012, -22? boards and a couple of programming interfaces
most will work fine of a standard usb-ttl programmer ok and the specific -01 module programmers operate @ usb standard 5v
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1PCS-ESP01-Pr ... SwxehXOoPA

even tho the peak ma draw expected when broadcasting wifi is beyond the capacity of an arduino board to supply. again all the boards ive played with have been flashed and tested (with working wifi) connected to usb-ttl arduinos(5v coms ) and dedicated 5v programmers without any problems..

So playing , sorry Testing can get underway ;) tho i would suggest any 'finished projects' do employ the correct drive voltage for the board and either voltage dividers or dedicated rx/tx step down boards for any data coms to 5v circuitry..

galaxian
Tippler

Post by galaxian » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:55 pm

The nodemcu development modules are cheap enough to use, they can be powered and programmed directly by usb.
One of these flashed with ESPeasy http://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/index.php/ESPEasy is as simple as its going to get for use as a remote temperature sensor. I have lots of things around the house controlled by reflashed with ESPeasy sonoff units along with Domoticz, can monitor temps etc and turn things on and off on my phone or using simple 'rules' perform tasks depending on sensor data, even on different nodes.
Sonoff units are handy as they have a relay and psu all built in a nice looking case for under a fiver.
Brewing -
Conditioning - Exmoor Gold clone (BYOBRA)
In the pipeline -
Drinking - - Fullers Ported (BYOBRA)

Fil

Post by Fil » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:47 pm

galaxian wrote:The nodemcu development modules are cheap enough to use, they can be powered and programmed directly by usb.
One of these flashed with ESPeasy http://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/index.php/ESPEasy is as simple as its going to get for use as a remote temperature sensor. I have lots of things around the house controlled by reflashed with ESPeasy sonoff units along with Domoticz, can monitor temps etc and turn things on and off on my phone or using simple 'rules' perform tasks depending on sensor data, even on different nodes.
Sonoff units are handy as they have a relay and psu all built in a nice looking case for under a fiver.
Hi - have you identified the relay control pins on the sonoff board by any chance,,
every time i get close to hooking one up to mains power running a relay blink sketch with a meter ready i get reminded of my own mortality and chicken out,,