Weyermann, Dingeman, Best, ... noname?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Sura
Tippler

Weyermann, Dingeman, Best, ... noname?

Post by Sura » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:04 am

Hello,

I am interessted in your experiences with different Maltsters. (Warminster, Weyermann, Best, Dingeman, Swaen, Thomas Fawcett, etc.)
What are there the differences in efficiency, mashing, and so on? And are there differences?

Cheers

Hanglow
Under the Table

Re: Weyermann, Dingeman, Best, ... noname?

Post by Hanglow » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:59 am

I've found all to be high quality, it's just differences in flavour really. Even Bairds which is the cheapest I've found makes nice beer

Other things like how it was milled, storage, age etc would be more important imo

Notlaw
Piss Artist

Post by Notlaw » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:05 pm

Some company's versions of certain malts are better than others. For example, Crisp's Vienna isn't that great, whereas Simpson's Vienna is fantastic. On the other hand, Crisp's lager malt is better than Fawcett's lager malt. This is of course, only MY OWN opinion... everyone has their own preferences. There's no right and wrong choices, just find ones you like and stick with those.

millmaster

Post by millmaster » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:19 pm

Since I discovered I could buy a single 25kg sack of base malt for around £15.00 collected from Brewers Select ( who stock Bairds malts ) in Peterborough I;ve always used them for the base malt, either lager, blended 50/50 Maris Otter/Propino ( I think ) or 100% Maris Otter. I then buy the specialty malts usually from Malt Miller to aim for the beer I want. I store the malts in an air tight mango chutney type blue drum. I think not storing all the malt in an airtight container has more effect on flavour, efficiency, etc.

To be fair, I have never tried to run any sort of controlled experiment to try to detect a difference between maltsters

JabbA

Post by JabbA » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:43 pm

millmaster wrote:Since I discovered I could buy a single 25kg sack of base malt for around £15.00 collected from Brewers Select ...
I've been by them in Peterborough but not used them before, I'll try them next time I need a sack of malt. As it happens I used to work in the building they occupy!

Cheers,
Jamie

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:10 pm

Crisp and Thomas Fawcett both do an Amber malt, but they're completely different.

Crisp's is dry, biscuity and nutty.
Thomas Fawcett's is darker and stronger, with more of a roast coffee aroma.

Both put great accents on the right beer, but they're definitely not interchangeable.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:23 pm

Brown malt is similarly non uniform. Check out the ebc values

charliemartin
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by charliemartin » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:09 am

I have been using Minch Malt Hook Head pale malt recently and have seen my efficiency rise quite a bit. Good flavour too. Also pretty cheap at £18.95 for 25Kg.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Altonrea Homebrew

Cazamodo

Post by Cazamodo » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:38 am

I use Simpsons caramalt as I find it to be the best caramalt I've ever tried. I love the smell when opening a new sack.

Ive used Crisp/Muntons base malts interchangeably with no noticeable difference in efficiency or taste.