ACE one-pot brewing system

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
soupdragon
Under the Table

Re: ACE one-pot brewing system

Post by soupdragon » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:19 pm

Don't know if the pump is up to creating a whirlpool but it's supposed to be the same pump as used in the grainfather. Apart from that you'd need a false bottom as there's no filter on the inlet to the pump.
The machine has a 5 step programmable timer, temp, element power and time.
No auto switch on but you could get one of those 24 hour timer things (I presume they can handle 2500w)?
No manual I'm afraid and I need to brew outside now because of the steam although I'm sure others have differing methods.

Hope that's a help :)

Cheers. Tom

DaveGillespie

Post by DaveGillespie » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:53 pm

Helpful indeed, boss. I'd imagine it's capable of recirculating with pellets then, assuming the GF is as well.

The steam issue is what gives me pause on these things; the Northern Ireland weather isn't exactly conducive to reliable outside brewing and my current setup goes on the stove top so I have use of the cooker hood.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:16 pm

DaveGillespie wrote:my current setup goes on the stove top so I have use of the cooker hood.
My previous setup was was like that although I struggled to get a good rolling boil so didn't produce too much steam.
Thinking ahead I'm toying with the idea of a false bottom and fitting some kind of home made hop back on the recirc pipe.

Cheers. Tom

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:36 pm

Been thinking and those 24 hour timer things wouldn't be any use. You'd still need to set the machine in manual or programmed mode once the timer thing switched the machine on

Cheers. Tom

grmski

Post by grmski » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:29 pm

Hi guys,

Just following on this thread, I have one of the ACE systems arriving this week and am planning the first brew at the weekend. Can anyone let me know the deadspace on this. Trying to work out water volumes and plug the numbers into brewtoad in advance.

Cheers,

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:22 pm

Someone else said it's 6.5 litres till you get to the bottom of the grain basket if that's any good but as regards what's left under the tap/filter I can't help

Cheers. Tom

grmski

Post by grmski » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:37 pm

Thanks Tom, I'll wait and check it out tomorrow.

Fastline
Hollow Legs

Post by Fastline » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:44 pm

Can one of you ace owners see what is wrote on the Pump with regards to Voltage and Ac or DC, just curious if a grainfather control could be fitted to an ace with a little tinkering

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:30 pm

Picture here http://m.imgur.com/CltPszO?r

Cheers. Tom

Fastline
Hollow Legs

Post by Fastline » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:59 pm

Thanks for the picture

Excellent so it is AC, I think this is the same pump as the grainfather

Problem now is I think ace is 2500 watt element

Grainfather is only 2000 watt being controlled by the new connect control and I don't know if it will let you edit the PID settings.

I think the Positives on the Ace is the price, and that extra element power must speed things up a little

The Grainfather I suspect your going to get better support, the new connect control unit seems very good, the counterflow cooler is reported to be very good too

With such a price difference it makes it a tough decision to choose between the two

I have an immersion chiller and a plate chiller so got solution already and there's always no chill as an option?

I think the Ace is going to win purely on the fact its price makes it more obtainable and really I only need it as a short term solution, but got to say I do like the look of that connect control.

Could do with some pictures of what's inside a Grainfather connect unit now.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:06 pm

Someone did say that it's the same pump

Cheers. Tom

Sura
Tippler

Post by Sura » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:21 pm

In Germany, this one is sold by "Klarstein"

In the german Forum there are a lot of post from people who bought this one, and its chinese crap. You got a 50/50 change to get an overheat-Shutoff... sometimes at 70°C .... :shock: .... The biggest fans turn over to hate this thing after a couple of mashes. Sometimes its works perfekt, another time it stop working all the time an noone knows why.

Dont buy this, it not worth it.

dbambrick996
Piss Artist

Post by dbambrick996 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:17 am

When you factor in the counter flow chiller that comes with the grainfather then there is little in the price difference , the ace doesn't have a chiller. One of the guys in our club is already building an ardbir to replace the ace controller.

As far as I know the GF has a 500 and 2000w heating element, so you could use the gf controller on the ace, but again that's extra expense that could go towards a gf

Fastline
Hollow Legs

Post by Fastline » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:49 am

Best price I can see is £310 for the Ace and Grainfather with connect control £672. Take £110 for the connect control leaves £252 that's a big difference for a chiller

And I already have an immersion chiller and a Plate chiller already.

I would need to find more out with if you could you the Grainfather Connect to control the ace, as I understand from what others have told me the Connect controller only controls the 2000w element so it may not have the capacity to supply a 2500 watt element of the ace, the other thing that I'm not sure of is the PID on the grainfather could its parameters be altered so it suited other vessels/heating elements or is this user adjustable.

I guess when you look at the price difference if you said the counterflow chiller was £150 then we are really only looking at £100 difference with Sura's comment on the quality of the ace certainly sway is more torwards Grainfather

Its had it problems and has been developed to get over them. This is what your really paying for quality.

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:08 am

Sura wrote:In Germany, this one is sold by "Klarstein"
According to Google Translate "mundschenk" = "mouthwash" :shock:
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget