Preparing a stock Buffalo Boiler for brewing

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Zammo

Preparing a stock Buffalo Boiler for brewing

Post by Zammo » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:14 pm

Hi

So me and a friend have decided to take the plunge and start all grain brewing. I've finalized the gear we need and the first purchase we want to make is for a Buffalo Boiler (40 Litres) from Nisbets.

I know I need to swap out the tap for a lever ball valve and also it looks like I need to add a small spout on the end of this (I think its called a tap tail adapter), both of these parts I can get from Toolstation. I'd then also need to install a bazooka filter, but I'm not sure where to get one of these?

Is there any other modification I'd need to do? I'm going to hold off on adapting the thermostat unless it starts playing up.

Thanks

vacant
Even further under the Table

Re: Preparing a stock Buffalo Boiler for brewing

Post by vacant » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:43 pm

I got one from China e.g. this 30cm bazooka filter for £4.50 delivered. Chinese bits and bobs usually take two to three weeks to arrive.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

Zammo

Post by Zammo » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:45 pm

Ahh cool thanks for the link. How did you attach it? Does it screw onto the ball valve?

vacant

Post by vacant » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:51 pm

It can screw into a ball valve but ...

I removed the stainless thread and clamped the mesh around a copper elbow, bought a stainless elbow from http://pipeworksuppliers.co.uk/ for the back of the ball valve, then joined the two with a short bit of silicone hose. My bazooka filter can then rest on the base of the boiler to minimise dead space (need to tilt or fit a hose tail plus tube or similar to get a siphon working for the last drops).

Zammo

Post by Zammo » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:09 pm

So sort of like this (Bit of a crude drawing, lol):

https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/ ... -10fv_8IIM

vacant

Post by vacant » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:04 pm

IMG_20170225_140224.jpg
IMG_20170225_140224.jpg (53.75 KiB) Viewed 3291 times
edited to add: That's a dowty washer on the ball valve. Nothing more is needed to make a leak-free seal with just hand-tightness.
Last edited by vacant on Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zammo

Post by Zammo » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:56 pm

Thanks. Seen a video online showing how to make a bazooka filter and as I have two flexi connectors lying around will have a go at making it.

TonySan
Steady Drinker

Post by TonySan » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:28 pm

In case you didn't fancy making the tap hole larger, or in my case you wanted to leave as is in case I wanted to sell the boiler later, I have found that a 3/8th ball valve flows plenty quick enough and fits without enlarging the original tap hole.
Fermenting: Nowt
Conditioning: Black Cross Stout
Drinking: GW London Porter, 'Use it Up' Bitter

Zammo

Post by Zammo » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:27 pm

I'm a tad confused my local Toolstation and Screwfix do Ball Valves but they are either 15mm or 22mm and neither of these sizes convert to 3/8 inch, which is just under 10mm. Should I just get the 15mm one and see if that's ok?

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbin ... lve/p28439

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:46 pm

Save yourself some grief Disconnect ALL the original electrics from the element and control it with a PID/SSR combo but the Buffalo element is poor quality I lost mine quickly so be prepared to replace yours.

Try to get a low watt density element ebay have them .

ATB aamcle

TonySan
Steady Drinker

Post by TonySan » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:52 pm

You'll need to go online to get anything that is really suitable. 3/8" is the equivalanet of 10mm, search for stainless ball valves on BES.co.uk. I' d suggest looking at various pictures in the forums of peoples builds to work out what you will need.

1/2" is the easier build as many people have done it, and you can get pre-made bulkheads and such like. I plumped for the trickier way so as not to butcher the Buffalo, but it was trial and error. A 1/2" setup will not fit the existing tap hole. You can find information as to what size hole you need for any given BSP size online and here, it isn't 1/2" or 15mm as you may think.

As to the above post, my Buffalo has only done 6 brews, I've not had any issues with the element yet, although many posts show on here state issues with thermal fuses blowing. It may be hit and miss as to whether you get a good one.
Fermenting: Nowt
Conditioning: Black Cross Stout
Drinking: GW London Porter, 'Use it Up' Bitter

Zammo

Post by Zammo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:05 am

Thanks for the advise. I'm not going to mess with any of the electronics in the boiler unless it starts causing me issues. My philosophy is "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:50 am

TonySan wrote:As to the above post, my Buffalo has only done 6 brews, I've not had any issues with the element yet, although many posts show on here state issues with thermal fuses blowing. It may be hit and miss as to whether you get a good one.
You need to keep the element spotlessly clean. Any build-up and it will cut out which is a good enough reason to build a standby boiler from a 40l Chutney barrel and a couple of tesco kettle elements.

There is a post somewhere with all the parts required to fit a ball valve which i can't find so drop user 'rpt' a PM.

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:04 pm

If you have a long metal mash paddle, you can scrape off the deposits during the boil if it starts to cut out.

wezzel01
Piss Artist

Post by wezzel01 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:54 pm

I used one for a while completely unmodified and it was fine. Just give the element a clean after use with a little cheap lemon juice and a non-scratch scoured. Mine never cut out once. Even the tap worked fine and I jammed a bazooka hop filter in the inside which worked perfectly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk